For Sale 1977 Chrysler T&C Wagon not mine, any details?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks pretty nice. I would say a decent buy from the shape it looks to be in.

That was my thought as well. Cosmetically it looks good and anything mechanical he'll be able to handle. Looks clean.

The seller had the moxie to find solutions to his problems that I admire - he gets it done and done right.

His statement about the dramatic fix for the lean burn crap was the Holley TBI system - and he describes the night and day difference that I have been talking about for years - and how the lean burn system was nothing but junk. It put Chrysler on the road to bankruptcy that occured in circa 1980. No one was satisfied with that crap.

Even the repaint looks like some money was spent and someone did a nice job on the woodgrain replacement.

That was one wagon worth the selling price and I doubt he sold it at a profit given his repair expenses involved.

Have him join our group and post up some pictures when he gets it.

It's my fault he got it. He's local and saw the two 73 imperials I got. He see's me drive the 69 monaco wagon all the time and got the wagon fever.

I searched around and didn't see this posted, please link me if I missed it. A friend of mine bought this wagon and was curious if anyone had any personal connection or details on it?
I just spoke with the seller.. super nice guy. Names Chris. He did an EFI conversation I wanted info on. Didn’t get into the history of the wagon but I’m sure he’ll be happy to share what he knows.

I searched around and didn't see this posted, please link me if I missed it. A friend of mine bought this wagon and was curious if anyone had any personal connection or details on it?

Was talked about in December 2016.

Contact information from one of the ads still around on the internet:

Jeff 503 841-4436
Location Clackama, OR 97015

Last edited:
Apart from the cornering lights I seem to have the twin to this wagon. 1975 though.
20190426_132349.jpg

I could of thought this was posted up here as I remember the sideways pics & the rashed wheel well trim. But I'll go out on a limb here as we don't have a good straight on shot of the odometer.

Nice car, I remember reading the eBay ad and I don't think it came up in any of my recent Plymouth Fury searches via keywords, but I didn't look at it to closely, I'm sort of 'Woods Blind' with all these Chrysler's but I took a closer look today and these pictures are a keeper and I'll tell you why for comparison.

First one: undercarriage.

1977 Chrysler Town & Country - 66k Low Mileage West Coast Wagon.004.jpg

First item, look at the undercoating and how black it is, it is not tan/brown from 10 of thousands of miles of driving in inclement weather or dirt roads. Tan/Brown is the color that the undercoating get's from mileage not age, like 80, 90, 100k type miles. Low mileage cars will not be like this or show this. NOW A WORD OF WARNING! This can be cleaned but it is a royal PITA, anything with heat or pressure will F'up the undercoating. I have used a steam cleaner to practically remove the undercoating once in my life (big mistake) you don't want to do it, while you will get a majority of it off you will end up with a big mess. Also undercoating can be 're-sprayed' either by rattle can or commercial trade.
Look at the nooks & crannies and peeled and chipped areas for the tan road grime color that gets everywhere and evidence of a re-spray.

Sub Frame: Nice un-rusted frame with little evidence of tan/brown road grime everywhere, looks to be factory painted still with a little touch up. Again know and look for items that would not be painted black in this area. I don't believe IIRC that the fuel line bracket & bolt would be painted black from the factory. And while were in that area, the CAT appears to have been replaced, not unusual for a car of this age regardless of mileage as short drives can not get the cat to proper temps and cause it to fail. Also this is listed as a Cali Smog passed car so that maybe the reason plus the Lean Burn problems/removal. Heat shields are missing also, I'm surprised that Cali Smog Nazi's allowed this. Transmission cross-member appears to be in very nice factory shape. Also with the driveshaft u-joints have minimal grease slinging, this car appears to be well maintained for it's age and a u-joint replacement at 66k miles is not uncommon as the grease get's 'dry' with age and can lead to quick u-joint failure. I know on my first 1977 PK41 with 67k on the clock at just being 5/6 years old I found that the front u-joint was dry & tight and about ready to do the needle bearing scoring of the trunnion. Transmission appears to have about the right grime for 66k but I see what appear to be a couple of dimples in the forward part of the pan that maybe of some concern, (errant floor jack job?).

Onward to the front suspension area, shocks appear to be fairly new, sway bar link bushings are of the new fancy variety, not too much road grime buildup, a little bit on the joint greasing but not unusual considering the mileage and gas station 'lube jockeys'.
LOL, oil pan appear to be minor 'jacked' as is the cross-member, again not unusual for age/mileage. Oil leakage around the right side (left in pic) cross-member area is unusual and should be looked at. Fuel pump gasket as a suggestion? Could be sloppy gas station work considering the rusty gas tank work. No mention but could be a item not on the "very abbreviated list". Rear oil main seal leakage, think age & dried out, not unusual.

In this realigned picture the front tire alignment looks off/odd too me, maybe just the angle of the camera shot. Tire tread is kind of weird for this car, Galaxy best I can make out enlarging the pictures, nope not that, BINGO! VITOUR tires :confused: :rolleyes: opps backtrack I was close, they make a VITOUR GALAXY R1 but "about us" is "Welcome to Qingdao Vitour United Corp" with a .za country code which leads us tooooo... oh boy, South Africa, so a Chinese company in S. Africa, I smell PepBoys here, I'd suggest a appropriate replacement.

On to the Engine Bay:

1977 Chrysler Town & Country - 66k Low Mileage West Coast Wagon.012.jpg

1977 Chrysler Town & Country - 66k Low Mileage West Coast Wagon.011.jpg

1977 Chrysler Town & Country - 66k Low Mileage West Coast Wagon.010.jpg

When I first took a close look at this engine bay I thought that the mileage of 66k was kind of high and was more in line with thinking it would be 20k range from above.
So what I noticed of this well maintained car. Engine block/valve covers are very clean, oil leakage and accumulated grime free, again look at the crevices & crannies for left over spots a engine cleaner can miss. I notice a little minor oil seepage around the left cylinder head by the power steering area, and minor paint deterioration for it's age. But deep down by the water pump area there is no oily grime build up as in a very high mileage cars like 100/200k.
Valve covers appear to be factory nice with just a little dusty oily grime buildup, left one appears to be wiped with a rag for a little cleanup, no scrapes or paint chips and I don't think these valve covers have even been off the car in it's entire life. Valve covers are important to look at to judge mileage as some will take them off for a re-spray and they will 'POP' as they say when someone opens the hood, but you got to look around at the adjoining block area and if it don't match ie dirtier you know somethings up. I get a chuckle at these supposed low mileage cars with freshly painted valve covers that 'POP' but you look at the valve cover bolts and they are roached/oily/grimy... ooops forgot sum'tin.
Look at how these match.
Power Steering and alternator brackets seem to be factory fresh, again none of that brown/rust coloring from 10's of thousands of miles on the road. Radiator shroud doesn't look to have been cleaned or detailed, a close eye can sometimes tell if the shroud has been improperly cleaned as water mark type stains can show on this plastic(?).
Air cleaner housing appears to be pretty much factory fresh as the leading edges can be paint roached from very high mileage from road crap blowing through the radiator.
Pie tin is a little bench roached, probable from all the LB carb work and conversion. Wingnut is wrong, mab'be the Holley version. Some different wiring going on from I take it the EFI conversion, so no worries. Black painted wiper motor so could be a remanufactured unit, IDK if this Chrysler has the cam problem? Oddball coil wire and I'll bet the spark plug wires are not original, meh, again age maintenance items. A lot of the fittings (A/C pipe etc) seem to be not too age corroded an appear factory nice for the age. Firewall area nook & crannies don't show missed road grime cleanup, so nice there. The alternator may have been replace as the aluminium housing seems to have that silver rebuild paint on it and the factory was bare aluminium so expect some age corrosion there. Little bit of dirt on the alternator bracket in the right side shot of the engine but if you look down towards the crank pulleys you can see how nice and clean the water pump timing area is.
Someone that worked on this engine likes Zip-Ties.
Look at the suspension splash shields and see how nice the hold down clips look.
OK that's enough, I'll let anyone else do the interior and exterior as I'm not a Chrysler guy.

(edit) Oh and go to the eBay site and download the pictures for further reference by enlargement as they are pretty high quality pictures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back