1977 Plymouth fury sport torsion bars

Sherman

Reaction score
Morning guys, so I’ve just purchased a 1977 Plymouth fury sport and I’ll be honest I don’t have a clue about American cars. Up until a few days ago I’d never heard of a,b,c body etc cars as I’m from the uk and we don’t have anything like that over here.

whilst inspecting the car I noticed the 2 front torsion bars have snapped in half. Would anyone Know how I could find some information about size, length etc.. or would anyone know? I also noticed that different company’s made different cars but have the same chassis etc... is this the case and could I use any torsion bars from another vehicle (Chrysler, dodge etc..)

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

p.s if this post seems stupid I apologise I’m so uneducated On American cars but I’m so keen to learn.

A 77 Fury Sport is a Bbody. Torsion Bars will be easy to get from some vendors like PST.

Welcome to our website from New York City.. you’re certainly in the right place to give me information or direction you need. We are a picture happy bunch so the more pictures you post the happier we get. LOL, please feel free to ask any questions you need answers to, these guys are a great bunch and are happy to help.
Let’s see your Fury!!

Ahh it’s a b body I thought it was a c body ‍♂️ Shows how much I know already lol I’ll try and upload a video of the torsion bars just to give you an idea. In the mean time this is the old tank, can’t tell you how excited I am to get this thing out on the skinny british roads

86F90E97-1810-473D-9147-5506A48521FC.jpeg

78517D84-FC8B-499A-939D-20B4107FE8D5.jpeg

82EF5F1E-5B5F-4D6B-A97D-593C028DA07F.jpeg

009462F2-8164-4E55-A735-EFC59966147F.jpeg

6CF9FBD2-B1E4-402A-93F2-1B705253644E.jpeg

02E9CFC7-528C-4065-9070-D7F7ADB59596.jpeg

D794EE2F-73D6-49B6-B8DA-16F4337D3987.jpeg

D0C03330-898B-45B3-B0B7-BE798D636B37.jpeg

Ahh it’s a b body I thought it was a c body ‍♂️ Shows how much I know already lol I’ll try and upload a video of the torsion bars just to give you an idea. In the mean time this is the old tank, can’t tell you how excited I am to get this thing out on the skinny british roads

View attachment 324794

View attachment 324795

View attachment 324796

View attachment 324797

View attachment 324798

View attachment 324799

View attachment 324800

View attachment 324801
Nice car. I had one many years ago and loved it. Always wished I kept that one. Good luck with the torsion bars they can be a brute to change. Let us know how it goes.

Unless that car is on jacks.... If the torsion bars are broken, that car would be almost sitting on the ground.

Unless that car is on jacks.... If the torsion bars are broken, that car would be almost sitting on the ground.

Would it really? Hmm that’s interesting as I believe my brother removed them and they look like this.. he didn’t mention the car being sat on the floor after though.

765267F5-3C0C-4BAF-B3D8-E9C88545FE90.png

257DD168-47A8-488D-B55D-E8CA18BAECB5.png

Sorry the pictures are so bad, I’m trying to upload others and it doesn’t seem to be allowing me.

Nice car. I had one many years ago and loved it. Always wished I kept that one. Good luck with the torsion bars they can be a brute to change. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks mate, I’ll keep you posted.

I’ll look forward to swearing a lot then whilst trying to change them lol

Could I get by without these if I fitted air? Or would I still need them regardless?

Could I get by without these if I fitted air? Or would I still need them regardless?
An air bag system would require lots of fabrication to be made to work. Depends on what you want to spend. Replacing the T bars (even with shipping) would be a fraction of the cost.

An air bag system would require lots of fabrication to be made to work. Depends on what you want to spend. Replacing the T bars (even with shipping) would be a fraction of the cost.
A very small fraction at that.

Just fix the car and go out and have some fun with it.

Hey mate, the brown sedan beside your car, any idea of model? '71-'76 Dodge Coronet/'77-'78 Dodge Monaco/'75-'78 Fury shape.

a shot in the dark here---any chance a coilover shock could be used?
:stop:

Just do it right. No point in trying to re-engineer what was a very good suspension in its day and better than most of the crap folks think they'll "upgrade" it into. Besides, most attempts to re-engineer on this level lead to tragic failure and the death of another sweet old MOPAR.

Fun FACT, that torsion bar suspension was an important selling feature of these cars. They offered improved ride and handling benefits over the competition back then, and if you really had to start "improving" an old MOPAR... do a little research on the effects of "unsprung weight" and then figure out just how little of the weight of this suspension qualifies.

a shot in the dark here---any chance a coilover shock could be used?
No, the structure for the upper shock mount is not designed to hold weight.

Just do it right.
^This^

Really, the hard work (removing the old torsion bar) is done. Now it's just sliding the replacement in and snapping the little clip in. You can't get much easier. Coil overs and the like is going need a lot of changes and going to be MUCH more involved, EXPENSIVE, and will NOT do the job correctly. Note the caps.

I know this is your first Mopar, but just understand that the front suspension is a simple design that works very, very well. It's very unusual for a torsion bar to break. In the scores of Mopars I've owned, I've only had one torsion bar fail. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Back