For Sale 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr NC Police Car Mechanicsville, MD on FB

Status
Not open for further replies.

68PK21 440.6bbl

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
NOT MINE!!!... This one got lost in the many bookmark piles, former NC car, price drop too.

I guess a link is required to EvilBook site.
1977 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr NC Police Car Mechanicsville, MD

Pictures for the archives. (where are they now? gotta spin 1)
1977 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr Police Car in Mechanicsville MD.001.jpg
1977 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr Police Car in Mechanicsville MD.002.jpg
1977 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr Police Car in Mechanicsville MD.003.jpg
1977 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr Police Car in Mechanicsville MD.004.jpg

Screenshot of AD:
12-19-20.1977 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr Police Car.www.facebook.com.000.jpg

Text of AD:
1977 Plymouth Gran Fury Police Car
$3,000 was $5,500.00
Listed 3 weeks ago in Mechanicsville, MD

Details

Condition: Used - Good

Here is a real vintage North Carolina 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury Police Car. It is all original with all Cop car specific items in place. Does not run but engine turns over by hand. It is rusty but definitely repairable. 440 big block, 9.25 rear, 140 speedo, etc. Price reduced to $3000. I will not take less. Trade for fox body. Thanks

Mechanicsville, MD
Location is approximate

Seller Information
Elwood Speed
Joined Facebook in 2020

real deal but a darn heavy lift. no comment on price. hope it finds a good home

at the risk of a debate (in which, if so, i wont participate :)), yup thats a second letter VIN "H" "A38" fifth letter "U" code car.

they exist clearly as the VIN shows. some fleet buyers gave the uplevel trim cop rigs to "Boss Law" types, detectives, fire chiefs. etc

so maybe sellee helps us/himself out with the broadcast sheet

:)

at the risk of a debate (in which, if so, i wont participate :)), yup thats a second letter VIN "H" "A38" fifth letter "U" code car.

they exist clearly as the VIN shows. some fleet buyers gave the uplevel trim cop rigs to "Boss Law" types, detectives, fire chiefs. etc

so maybe sellee helps us/himself out with the broadcast sheet

:)
We've seen one other North Carolina patrol car here before, it was a Brougham package car that's why the PH code. I guess the ticket revenue was good back in the 70's as the NC cars were A/C, power windows, non-PD fabric seats, woodgrain with door pulls etc. The other NC car was the one up in New York State that the guy did a lot of work to convert it to a NYSP car. Ruined it IMAO as the NC body colors are much nicer the the NYSP Blue/Yellow.

1975 Plymouth Gran Fury.North.Carolia.SP.001.jpg

1977 Plymouth Gran Fury Brougham Police Pkg and Highway Patrol.001.jpg

We've seen one other North Carolina patrol car here before, it was a Brougham package car that's why the PH code.

Correct! And somewhere they published a pic of its broadcast sheet, too. It's not very clear, but with a bit of close reading you can decipher most sales codes:

77-PH41U7D185042-f.jpg

Reportedly, 575 of these 1977 Brougham cars were ordered for the NC Highway Patrol.

Oh, and the fender tag for that car, in shining yellow:

77-PH41U7D185042-o.jpg

That makes for interesting comparisons, like:

K5X Black Vinyl Side Moulding is not on the Maryland car's fender tag, but the moulding sure is on the car. The yellow fender tag makes due mention of K5X (third line from below, extreme right).

Same thing with this PK Wisconsin State Police car: the 3/4 side moulding is on the car but not on the fender tag.

As to K5X on 1977 Gran Fury in general: it was an optional, but for a PM you could order a 3/4 side moulding and for PH a 2/4 side moulding. At least, that is what my picture collection shows. The special thing about the NCHP is the presence of a 3/4 side moulding while the Brougham-only bright sill moulding has been deleted. A Brougham Special!

And yet, M25 Sill Moulding is there on both NCHP fender tags (second line from above, in the middle). Next to that is an unreadable sales code and if that would be M33 Body Side Mouldings, that would double in meaning with K5X.

The motivation for al this tortuous reasoning is a PH 1977 Texas Highway Patrol Gran Fury with the normal Brougham combination: 2/4 side moulding and bright sill moulding. And without another code starting with M next to M25.

Uh, oh! This has grown into something for the Sense and Nonsense of Fender Tags thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back