1978/79

Quantum53

Reaction score
In the past couple years I've been converting a friend from Chevy's to MOPAR. I had more projects sitting around(still do), and he began buying some of the cars to fix and restore. In the process he has a '69 300 ragtop with rare (supposedly crank wing windows), super nice and a '13 Challenger.

Back to the question. He bought my dads old '78 Cordoba. The front inner fenders are rusted out on top. He bought my old '79 New Yorker. Excellent inners. They look close and was wondering if they would interchange. So... thought I'd ask and see what you guys say.

I do have a question of my own, but its on an older car. I have my grandfathers '62 Newport, hdt, 361 AT. Been in garage for 40 yrs. I have a '62 300 Sport Cpe, 361 factory 3spd. Needs everything Interior is roached, hood coming apart, general rust from sitting outside in W.Va., then in Pa. My thoughts are to salvage everything out of the 300 and use the Newport and build a clone. Thoughts.

Thoughts:

Don't destroy a rare '79 Yorker to repair a pretty common '78 Cordoba. Especially since good inner fenders aren't hard to find.

I understand what your saying, But the body was shot. Frame was rusted up. He's already pulled the 360 and trans. and brought them back to me. That was part of the deal. The New Yorker is a Fifth Ave, 2 tone cream. Has good leather seats. Anyone need them before he finally gets rid of the car. Any other parts he may be convinced to sell. LMK.

I have no idea on the 78/79 New Yorker Cordoba question.

Regarding the crank vents... No that's not rare. Power vents are.

The 62 300 is a good question. As long as you don't pass it off as anything but a cloned 300, I don't see why not. The 300 should have a 383 though... and the 3 speed might make it a bit rare...

The 79 Inner fenders will fit the 78 doba...since the 5th Ave is toast now, might as well use the parts to keep other cars going...shame though, seems very few R bodies have survived.

The 79 Inner fenders will fit the 78 doba...since the 5th Ave is toast now, might as well use the parts to keep other cars going...shame though, seems very few R bodies have survived.

I'd see if you can move some of those 5th Ave trim parts on here or ebay. I owned one and if I had infinite indoor storage, I surely would have kept it.

Do any of these things work in the car: what radio is in the '79? does the headlight motor work? does it have the rear defrost switch? I will be gone until Oct. 10th and will check for your response then....Thanks

A three speed on the floor on that 300 makes it very rare! Too bad the car is toast! Surprised Pete didn't comment on it.

i found a 3-spd '62 Newport myself, but it's been in the woods for almost 2 decades and is basically TOAST. Bloody shame. At any rate, as to the Cordoba... i have a soft spot for those things, i've owned 7 Cordobas in my life. The '78 is my absolute favourite. Inner fenders from any model '78-'79 including Fury, Newport, LeBaron, Monaco, Polara will fit the 'Doba.

Polara-Star says they'll fit; I was going to say they wouldn't as you're talking about parts from an R body going onto a B Body, but I'm guessing.

One person said "parts are available." Not for Cordobas around here they aren't, so if those will fit, I say use them.

As for the '62s, why try to clone the Newport. Just build a nice manual-trans Newport. '62 Chryslers are rare enough regardless of type - keep it a Newpie.

Ok I think we are tied....he who owns the most Dobas when he dies wins right??? Deal?
i say we Doba'l our efforts. Him what can add to the total Doba's owned, along with the other Him, makes us all richer. As in, Rich Corinthean leather... although every 'Doba i owned actually had cloth seats. Or vinyl. Where the frig is Corinthea, anyway?

i say we Doba'l our efforts. Him what can add to the total Doba's owned, along with the other Him, makes us all richer. As in, Rich Corinthean leather... although every 'Doba i owned actually had cloth seats. Or vinyl. Where the frig is Corinthea, anyway?

Corinth is in Greece. Corinthian leather would be leather from Corinth...although we know it was just marketing of the day. Tied in with the Mediterranean theme of the Cordoba (a city in Spain).

Corinth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back