For Sale 1978 Chrysler New Yorker, 392 miles - $25000 (barre)

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine and there's no pics in the ad.
1978 Chrysler New Yorker, 392 miles
I have found one of the largest dinosaur eggs ever unearthed. This 1978 New Yorker has an astonishing,original,392 miles. Dove grey,with matching button tucked leather,and shag carpet. Black landau roof is like new. original everything,including the air in the tires. This massive luxury coupe is powered by the mighty 440,making it one of the last 440 powered coupes to come from Chrysler. This thing must be seen to be truly appreciated. some trades may be considered,but be real, you know what I mean. clear mass title. history since being ordered,and built. stored properly all this time. call it a garage find,barn find,whatever,its a once in a lifetime chance,to get a new 1978 Chrysler.
reply by email:
[email protected]

Dove gray, with a black St.Regis roof? I'm gonna have to raise it.:bs_flag:
Why?

Screenshot_2019-02-09-18-05-33.jpg

78_New_Yorker_Brougham_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that color combo was possible.

Not a combo I would of ordered.

If this car is s good as the ad says....

It would be the best 1978 reference NY'er on the planet.

That is one hell of a claim.

I hope its true!
I'm sticking with my theory that a lot of the 78's were bought because they were the true "Last of the Big Ones" from Chrysler. Most folks used them, even if only after realizing they had a car rotting in the garage that wasn't going to appreciate in value. Late 80's to Early 90's I heard of several that were barely driven just to have their value preserved for when they became valuable... I'm still waiting, and many of those speculators aged out and their estates have had to dispose of the dead car in the garage that nobody was allowed to drive.

I do believe there are cars like this still tucked away (not many), but odometer readings aside, what a cruel fate to a machine to sit so long that rust forms in the mechanical assemblies due to lack of use and oil that drained to bottom years ago. :realcrazy:

I'm sticking with my theory that a lot of the 78's were bought because they were the true "Last of the Big Ones" from Chrysler. Most folks used them, even if only after realizing they had a car rotting in the garage that wasn't going to appreciate in value. Late 80's to Early 90's I heard of several that were barely driven just to have their value preserved for when they became valuable... I'm still waiting, and many of those speculators aged out and their estates have had to dispose of the dead car in the garage that nobody was allowed to drive.

I do believe there are cars like this still tucked away (not many), but odometer readings aside, what a cruel fate to a machine to sit so long that rust forms in the mechanical assemblies due to lack of use and oil that drained to bottom years ago. :realcrazy:

You would think more of those cars would show up. I've only seen the one yellow 78 NYB in the Survivor Tent at Csrlisle and I have only seen one other exreme low mileage survivor car over the years.

1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertibles were put away when new in large numbers because they were going to be "The Last American Convertibles" Over the years many of them have resurfaced with crazy low miles. The owner of the Caddy dealership that the shop I worked at in NY did work for put two of them away. I'm sure the value never exceeded all those years of storage costs. 10 G's put in the stock market surely would've made a lot more profit.

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone buying a '78 Chrysler for "investment value" in 1978. Chrysler was teetering on the edge of non-existence then. The only cars then that people were buying for "investment value" were 1978 Corvette Pace Cars...which they built a TON of, and unless you have one with 200 miles on it and in pristine condition, it's not worth more than any other Vette of that era.

Regardless, I'd still give my left nut for that 400 mile NYB.
AFTER I get to examine it in person, of course.

I e-mailed this guy just for shits and giggles. I told him i have a '78 NYB and a '67 Imperial and they I may be interested in adding it to my small collection. I asked him when was the last time it was running, if it was stored inside, if it was climate controlled, and how it was maintained over the years. I also asked him for some pics.

All i got back was his phone number. If anyone wants it PM me...

I'm still raising the flag till proven otherwise.

Just got another message... he's gonna start it today. Cold storage the last couple years, climate controlled before that.

I hope the owners over the years changed the coolant from the factory fill at least.

I bought a 1969 Sport Fury coupe last year that has only 9800 miles on it, no doubt, but the coolant was original I suspect since the block was full of sludge. I pulled the engine and am going to have it acid dipped and then put it back together with new freeze plugs, head gasket and other items such as cam bearings, etc. Then drive it for awhile.

Hope this one is as nice as the listing implies.

If all is accurate, would one of these be worth $25K - I am not so savvy on Formal prices these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back