1978 Chyrsler NYB "Big Blue"

Big Blue

Reaction score
This is the new to me NYB I just purchased. Planned upgrades include electronic ignition, dual exhaust and a RV cam. The wheels on there are the old ones off my other project, a 1976/1979 Warlock/Li'l Red Express smash up.

100_2776.jpg

100_2786.jpg

100_2779.jpg

100_2778.jpg

I didn't think I did too bad considering I picked it up for $1350. Previous owner is a retired Dodge/Plymouth and Chevy shop foreman.

Very nice, but I like the original hubcaps and whitewalls better.

Nice ride

:sSig_goodjob:Another great classic from Detroit is saved, thank you. Not only is the car beautiful and in great shape you picked it up at a bargain. :3some:

Hey, wait a minute, that car looks familiar! Nice car! Wow, I thought I got a good deal for $1800. It's in tremendous condition!:sFl_america2:

Hey, wait a minute, that car looks familiar! Nice car! Wow, I thought I got a good deal for $1800. It's in tremendous condition!:sFl_america2:

Thank you! your's appears to be in better condition on the outside and more options. It really looks like a tim capsule car. You probably got the better deal, but I am happy with my purchase none the less. Now if I can just figure out the surging... got a Holley 750 on the bench and a rebuild kit on the way.

I'm going to have to dig out a build sheet on her. Looking at the different option lists, it has pretty much everything except a sun roof. It has a 400, wish it had a 440. It also has the am/fm/cb radio in it too. I have to take some interior pictures and post it. The interior needs a lot of work. The leather seats will have to be redone. There's a couple of local shops that I can take it too.

Maybe get the dash pad done in shag carpeting. Ha Ha! Opps, I better clerify that was only a joke.

See, now I kinda wish I had the 400! lol. IMO, the 400 is like the big block version of the 340. Bigger bore than the 440, shorter stroke.

See, now I kinda wish I had the 400! lol. IMO, the 400 is like the big block version of the 340. Bigger bore than the 440, shorter stroke.

WHOA, whoa, whoaaaaaaaaaa!
Methinks we all need to sit down and have a class on BB's.

WHOA, whoa, whoaaaaaaaaaa!
Methinks we all need to sit down and have a class on BB's.

What? The 400 is a bigger bore, shorter stroke than the 440. Much like the 340 vs 360. Faster rev. I know the 400 was never considered a performance motor, but with the right mods they can be a potent performer. The 400's and later 440 have pretty stout blocks too. Plus if you can find a 440 crank, turn down the journals to fit your 400 and you have 452cuin on the cheap.

Just my $.02.

I once had a 72' 400 HP in my 71 Polara. It was without a doubt the toughest, and strongest factory built engine I have ever driven.

Back