1978 Dodge Magnum GT - ORIGINAL OWNER Classic!- 1 of 8 Produced! - $8,500

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
SOLD -1978 Dodge Magnum GT - ORIGINAL OWNER Classic!- 1 of 8...

1648507543838.png
1648507570084.png

Sold. One of the last big block B body coupes.
I like the Magnums and would have bought this example despite a few thing that need attention. Wiper motor missing, get rid of the LeanBurn and fix the seats.

00a0a_9yhnoWRxvMDz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

00M0M_3KS8hvICqVlz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

00v0v_4aLqZ82U06z_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

01010_l1oVybmFb5Qz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_1T3ptcXsIiz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

01414_i1mh69LGvZIz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg

00Y0Y_fV6sxY6C8wuz_0hq0d4_1200x900.jpg
SOLD----SOLD----SOLD----S0LD--Extremely rare black-on-black 1978 Dodge Magnum GT, 1 of only 8 from the factory with T-Tops and 400 cubic engine. I took delivery of this highly-optioned and untitled "demo" on December 1978 from Bruce Rossmeyer Dodge in Daytona Beach, Florida and has been in the family ever since. The GT (Gran Torino) Package featured Fender Flares, P255/60R/15 Raised White Letter Tires mounted on 7" wide Magnum Road Wheels which were exclusive to this package, Firm-Feel Steering, Heavy-Duty Shock Absorbers, Leather Covered Steering Wheel and special GT badging and engine turned appliques on the instrument panel and passenger vent panel.

This Magnum has been parked in my conditioned garage for 30 years and recently returned it to running condition after refurbishing the fuel, ignition, and brake systems.

You are not likely to see another one like it as the 1st generation Dodge Magnum was only built in 1978 and 1979 with just 861 GT's produced for the 1978 model year of which it is believed only 8 were in this configuration.

1978 Dodge Magnum

VIN: XS22N8R221767
condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 115780
paint color: black
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: coupe

I wish I'd have seen this yesterday, I'd have had the money out and sent! Been wanting one for a long, long time!

Of all the cars Chrysler ever built, from my experience in having one of these 79 models as an assigned lab Car that we got to pick from anything we wanted in our department while working at Chrysler, it was the best car Chrysler ever built IMO. Solid, handled very well, most comfortable seats ever (ours had the really nice, wide textured cloth bucket seats), quiet, and ran well with its 360-4 bbl engine in it (we chose the California package because it was not a lean calibration at all - and ran like a normal car, nothing like the lean burn junk - it ran much better than either of the federal 400 or 440 lean burn packages and was even significantly faster). Ours was a deep dark blue color all around and almost had a shade of purple in it. It just looked mean and driving it was very rewarding. Ours also had the textured optional wheels that made it "pop".

I wouldn't even consider owning one of these models unless it was a 1978 or 1979 and the 79s seemed a little bit better finished off than the 78s. I really disliked the round headlights on the earlier versions. These later ones also felt so much better than the earlier ones - more sound deadener, better handling and generally drove better than the earlier ones - but in my case I was used to the 360-4 bbls that were only available in California as mentioned above The 79 Magnum I ordered also was equipped with the heavy duty suspension so it cornered really well.

I preferred the cloth buckets rather than the corinthian leather seats because the leather ones felt like they didn't have enough lower cushion length to support the legs adequately.

The colors on the one you are showing are the same as our lab Magnum that we had.

If I needed another driver, I would definitely buy this example at the circa $6K price tag as long as it checked out OK. It seems to be in very good condition with relatively low miles.

I had to drive a lot of brand new formals in these same years and these B bodies actually felt a lot like the formals - very solid, smooth, and quiet without all the problems the formals had after just 40K miles on them. The dashes in the formals were cheap, the wiring was crappy, the interior plastics and related parts were too cheap and a lot of the components just didn't hold up. But the B bodies were still solid cars while the bean counters ruined the formals for long term ownership from the experiences I heard about from dealers who were really fed up with the formals when they were only a couple years old. Owners dumped their formals after 1 to 2 years and never came back to Chrysler. No such feedback from the B bodies though - they were good cars.

So my answer would be "hell yeah"!

Last edited:
Back