1978 NYB, 392 MILES,For the sceptics.

Hey Commando1,no problem,no offense taken,non meant. I understand the skeptisism. anyway, now you see it. whatever you think of the price,is what you think..... doesnt matter if I got the car for free,it is what it is,its mine,I,m selling it,and thats what I want for it. I do truly appreciate all your help,and everyone else on the forum.
Bottom line, Richard, your car blows me away. I absolutely love it. All my sarcasm aside, I hope you do get 25 grand for it. It is a terrific find and I only wish it had been me.:BangHead:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Richard for sharing..... but we are greedy and want more.

I see you are already in contact with one of our brethren here on the site. Thank you for sharing with him.

The more you share the more we will care and help.

Javier Salman.
As for the fender tag question; I cant say for sure,but it appears that a second tag was there. it would only seem likely to me, that it indicated "special handling", or some other type of directive, has been liberated. I believe this happened during the course of liquidation of the rest of the cars. I can only guess...... this car has always been inside,seeing the light of day only a few time ever.

This makes perfect sense. I’ve actually seen the special handling or other second tags and they were set to the left in all cases I know of.

I worked for a Chevy dealer in western Colorado in 1979. He started business in 1946, immediately after the War. Starting then, the owner would order one car or truck to his wants per model year. Once it arrived, the vehicle would go straight to his storage shop, behind the dealership. So, he had one new vehicle from 1946 through 1979. His was an eclectic collection of Corvettes, pickups, a 427 Nova SS, and more. His 1979 pick was the first $10,000 Chevrolet ever delivered to his store - a Caprice Classic wagon that cost $10, 010.10....really! We were all amazed that there could possibly be a $10K Chevy that wasn't a Corvette!

All of his vehicles had less than 400 miles. A couple had less than two miles. All were kept immaculately, and could be ready for a parade or show in 30 minutes or less. Add gas and a battery. Check the air in the tires, check fluids, and go.

He died in the late '80s, and the cars and trucks were all sold off, all on MSOs, and all as original as they can be.

As for the fender tag question; I cant say for sure,but it appears that a second tag was there. it would only seem likely to me, that it indicated "special handling", or some other type of directive, has been liberated. I believe this happened during the course of liquidation of the rest of the cars. I can only guess...... this car has always been inside,seeing the light of day only a few time ever.

Ther are lots and lots of lurkers on this forum so you getting as many pictures as possible on here will get you a greater opportunity of selling the car. More general pictures of the exterior and many more of the interior and engine compartment would help a lot.

By the way I have a 1978 NYB too....

20170822_182327.jpg

20181013_093036.jpg

Sometimes a second tag was used if all or virtually all options were ordered as there was too much data for one.

I don't find Richard's tag particularly crowded with options. It looks pretty standard. It is true that the magic "END" code is missing, but then none of the 15 1978 fender tags I have seen says END.

Here's another tag for comparison:

CS23T8C163177-fendertag.jpg

So I don't see any reason for surmising the previous existence of a second fender tag. Besides, supposing that something is missing would detract from the 100%-original, with-factory-air status of the car.

Last edited:
I don't find Richard's tag particularly crowded with options. It looks pretty standard. It is true that the magic "END" code is missing, but then none of the 15 1978 fender tags I have seen says END.

Here's another tag for comparison:

View attachment 260430

So I don't see any reason for surmising the previous existence of a second fender tag. Besides, supposing that something is missing would detract from the 100%-original, with-factory-air status of the car.
Fair enough, I was only explaining how sometimes there were 2 tags because of lots of equipment, perhaps not in this case. I wish him well finding a buyer at his price, considering that if the buyer wanted to use it, there would be a large bill for replacing things like rubber components etc that dried out or deteriorated from lack of use.

I hope it goes to a nice home.

Fair enough, I was only explaining how sometimes there were 2 tags because of lots of equipment, perhaps not in this case. I wish him well finding a buyer at his price, considering that if the buyer wanted to use it, there would be a large bill for replacing things like rubber components etc that dried out or deteriorated from lack of use.

Given that this particular car resided in Massachussetts I am assuming or at least on the East coast and is claimed to have been stored inside a garage, having almost never even seeing the light of day, I would expect the rubber pieces might still be fine as would the plastics - although rim blow wheels for example are often cracked in multiple places on cars this old, there is probably a good chance if this car has one, that it is still in new condition. So, that makes me wonder - do you have any interior photos you could share with one of the previous posters so we could see what that looks like too? Thanks

Last edited:

i5ny6kk-jpg-jpg.jpg

Don't feel bad, I'm pretty certain someone took out the screw on the left in the photo (right side of the car) and that some additional tag was there to block the paint... whatever that tag may have been.

I'd guess that it could be related to whatever caused the eagle to land on the hood too.

I've got to admit that color combo looks way better than I thought it would have.

Beautiful and rare combination for sure. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Back