1978 nyb blower relay

straightarrow

Reaction score
So I started smelling something getting hot inside with my blower on high and shortly thereafter lost the blower. Blower motor operates when apply 12 volts to it and I have 12 volts coming to the plug and the motor. The power drops out when I plug in the motor. I suspect the relay or the switch itself as the motor still has continuity. Is the blower relay the one hanging on the side of the distribution box inside? Thanx for any help on this. I ordered a FSM on Ebay but I was wanting to get it fixed sooner. Brent

If the power drops off when the motor is hooked up, usually this means that the motor has excessive resistance due to bad windings or bearings, they usually fail on the high speed first. If you have access to a load meter check the motor and see how many amps of load it is drawing. The correct readings are in the FSM. It you motor is drawing excessive amperage, it is shot and will need to be replaced. You may also have toasted the relay because of the excessive load. If the motor reads a normal draw, then probably just the relay is shot. There is also an online version of the various FSMs for quick reference. Available at www.mymopar.com.

Dave

Yeah, I never did think to check amperage. Looks like any other problem was easier than how it looked to replace the blower motor LOL. Couldnt tell but looked like a wheel well pull.... bleh.

If the motor has to be pulled, there was another member here who, vis pulling the wheel well, carefully cut an access “Square” larger enough to access/pull the motor. Also gives you access to the radio antenna motor in that same area. Sounds Redneck ‘ish.. but if done right, no one will ever know. I’ll see if I can find that thread for ya and post it here. I haven’t done it yet! But plan too..

I think maybe you have a blower motor resistor that is bad. It is mounted on the heater box and easy to get to with the dash pad off.

s-l1600.jpg

I think maybe you have a blower motor resistor that is bad. It is mounted on the heater box and easy to get to with the dash pad off.

View attachment 156493
I agree on replacing the resister first.
FWIW, I was the one that cut (Gasp!) an access panel in the inner wheel well.
After pulling fenders twice before that, I thought to myself, I should have done this in the first place :BangHead:.

I agree on replacing the resister first.
FWIW, I was the one that cut (Gasp!) an access panel in the inner wheel well.
After pulling fenders twice before that, I thought to myself, I should have done this in the first place :BangHead:.
From great minds come great innovations.. thanks Stan.

Thanks guys I wasn’t too enthused about pulling the fender off only to install a Chinese blower motor LOL

We should start a Formal Sticky.....

ATC II.......run away!

1978 Big Wiper Cam......covert to 74-77 Small Wiper Cam!

Chinese blower motor access shortcut!

North Korean die grinder action to the left side thermostat bolt - A/C bracket!

Last edited:
You know... I bought a Chrysler because my Mopars have always been easier to work on than my other stuff LOL No biggie I guess, every cars got something. As far as the big wiper bushing, I just grabbed a washer and bronze bushing from the hardware store. Worked thus far and in Oklahoma, when it rains it pours Lol Thanx again guys

You know... I bought a Chrysler because my Mopars have always been easier to work on than my other stuff LOL No biggie I guess, every cars got something. As far as the big wiper bushing, I just grabbed a washer and bronze bushing from the hardware store. Worked thus far and in Oklahoma, when it rains it pours Lol Thanx again guys

I would love to see pictures of that setup. LOL

I'm getting 38 degrees at the center vent.
Hmmm. I still don't know how you did that.
You and I did all the same stuff. In fact I took it two steps further with the condensor and fans. Still couldn't get it as cold as you did. Good job, Bob.

Hmmm. I still don't know how you did that.
You and I did all the same stuff. In fact I took it two steps further with the condensor and fans. Still couldn't get it as cold as you did. Good job, Bob.

Still has the OE compressor, rebuilt hoses, new condenser, new expansion valve and receiver/drier. Added R134A.

Back