1978 NYB wiper woes.

phil88m6

Reaction score
Ok I have run the board and find that 78 C Body wiper cam is a one year thing. Further reading seems to find that 73-77 is the same. Will the 73-77 assembly fit a 78? Has the park cam assembly been reproduced for 73-77?

Many thanks to all and Happy New Year!

One can only try ans see what happens. is it a 2 spd or 3 speed setup?

Ok I have run the board and find that 78 C Body wiper cam is a one year thing. Further reading seems to find that 73-77 is the same. Will the 73-77 assembly fit a 78? Has the park cam assembly been reproduced for 73-77?

Many thanks to all and Happy New Year!
One can only try ans see what happens. is it a 2 spd or 3 speed setup?

You'll need parts from 74-77 donor car.

The wiper motor, wiper switch and wiring will all remain original. You don't want to mess with changing any of those parts...trust me!

You'll have to fabricate 2 parts.

First, you will use your original 78 wiper motor linkage part that connects to your wiper motor. Cut off the cam part off the donor linkage and weld it on as shown.

DSC02240.JPG

DSC02239.JPG

You will also have to cut off the end of the donor linkage rod that goes from the wiper motor to the first transmission on the wiper motor side and weld it on to your original 78 linkage. I didn't take any pictures of it when I did that part.

Now you have a 74-77 small cam wiper setup. The small cam is actually the same as the bushings that are used on the wiper linkage transmissions. You can still get the bushings from Chrysler. They fit a lot better than the ones from "Help" from AAP, AZ, etc. I told the Chrysler parts guys I needed the wiper linkage bushings from a 1996 full sized van.

I have a complete 3spd wiper linkage assembly from a 73 if that is of any help to anyone...

ran across this, not sure if this works for 78s or not
vansauto.com/product/75-79-chrysler-plymouth-dodge-windshield-wiper-link-bushings/
Wiper-Link-Bushing.jpg

You will also have to cut off the end of the donor linkage rod that goes from the wiper motor to the first transmission on the wiper motor side and weld it on to your original 78 linkage. I didn't take any pictures of it when I did that part.

Now you have a 74-77 small cam wiper setup. The small cam is actually the same as the bushings that are used on the wiper linkage transmissions. You can still get the bushings from Chrysler. They fit a lot better than the ones from "Help" from AAP, AZ, etc. I told the Chrysler parts guys I needed the wiper linkage bushings from a 1996 full sized van.
Any issues with wiper hidden parking position or incomplete sweep across the windshield?

Nope. As long as you have it in the right position they will park all the,way down only with the wipers turned off like they are suppose to. If you have them on mist, they will stop on the chrome piece in between cycles like they are suppose to.

Nope. As long as you have it in the right position they will park all the,way down only with the wipers turned off like they are suppose to. If you have them on mist, they will stop on the chrome piece in between cycles like they are suppose to.
Great! Just got my 77' wiper crank now I just need to find a '77 wiper rod end to fit on to the ''77 crank. Been searching online no luck yet. Any leads on where I might find one?

Last edited:
Back