For Sale 1978 Plymouth Horizon Wood Panel - $1500 (Grand Rapids)

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
I'd buy it.

1978 Plymouth Horizon Wood Panel
Own a piece of Chrysler history for pennies! This is a one of 227 original wood panel Horizons made between '78 and '79. The wood panel cars were a promotional item sent to dealers to have on the showroom floor to introduce the new economy car to the world. This one is a rare bird; it's completely loaded to the hills, has factory AC, stereo FM, rear defogger, rear wiper, roof rack, but it's a four speed manual! Odometer shows 60,000. I don't know if it's 160,000 though. It's a five digit deal.

I guarantee this is the one and only wood panel Horizon you will ever see in your life. Do a google images search for this particular car: the only pictures you'll find are promotional brochures, yet you'll never see another one in the wild. These are a super rare car.

Down to the nitty gritty. It's a 40 year old economy car. It likely won't be reliable enough for a daily driver. I wouldn't put your 16 year old daughter in it for a first car. It's got patina. There's a rust hole starting on the floor pan up by the driver's left foot, but it has no structural rust. I drive it and it's fine.

The interior is absolutely stunning, except for the carpet which has suffered from UV exposure and has rotted over the years. The shifter linkage is tricky. It has nuances. It's cheap, though. Parts are absolutely still available for these cars and they're cheap!

Text or email is always best (269) 626-5777, [email protected]
image 1 of 7
00d0d_8BBPTaZFYIE_600x450.jpg

00z0z_6ebL94CNSpi_600x450.jpg

00b0b_63dWp575L9G_600x450.jpg

00l0l_aCPJIvNbwuI_600x450.jpg

00d0d_eGHMJ9rzagT_600x450.jpg

00A0A_j65z2PMfIhB_600x450.jpg

01616_h2C9dUMMYbG_600x450.jpg

I have no feelings about this car either way I guess except for kudos that it’s survived.

I know I've seen one of those... Maybe someone the place I worked had one back when they were new... or a neighbor.. Someplace, somewhere, I know I have seen one regularly enough to remember it.

Anyway... $1500 for a running, driving car of any vintage is right in the ballpark. For the right person, that's a deal.

I had one (no wood grain) that was really nice in the late 90's. I bought it cheap from a local dealer and drove it for about a year until I could afford something better. The same dealer tried to sell it on consignment for me as a favor.. and it was still a pretty nice car. Someone stole the radiator and door handles off it while sitting on his lot... I ended up scrapping it.

$1500 (for the car) + $1000 shipping to most places in the country + $1000 for tires, carpet and misc. repairs = more than what the car is worth.

P.S. you won't get $3500 for it when you decide to sell it.

P.S.S. If you really love it offer them $1000 tops and check how troublesome the carburetor is on those early years that mechanics won't work on them.

This Wood paneling was a regular Option, no one off per dealer to enhance Show room traffic as the ad suggests. Still rare and undesirable though. A Shelby would be more fun.

Back in high school my girlfriend's mother won a radio contest and won one of these and a mint green low optioned Magnum. My then girlfriend's older sister got the Omni and her dad got the Magnum. I think this was when these cars first came out and had VW engines.

I was working for Chrysler when those came out and I thought they were great little cars, smooth to drive and peppy and during my time with them reliable. And as cm23uoc states, wood paneling was a regular production option. I even have an NOS carburetor for one of those buggers just in case I find one nice enough to own someday!

I was gonna say these were all over back then.... thanks for the regular option confirmation

My best friend had one in High School, his upgrade from his Pinto. If you got 4 guys in that thing it would bottom out on everything dip in the road and ate CV Joints. I'll pass. :)

I have a buddy at work who was debating that exact car. The engine/carbs on those were crap until the 2.2 came along, and then the carbs were still crap. With a TBI 2.2/2.5 I'd be happy behind that wheel.

Cheap easy swap if your really into the car.

Only 227 made with woodgrain, seems like I have seen lot's with it. I have never worked on the early Onmi's, the later 2.2's feedback carb sucks, love the EFI 2.2's and the 2.5's, simple and were nice to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back