For Sale 1979 Newport Trooper at auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ran across this piece of history tonight. Being sold by Tennessee Highway Patrol. Not a lot of info provided. Near Nashville. Wish I was close enough to at least look it over.
Cal

1979 CHRYSLER NEWPORT - govdeals.com

If you click on the "Automobiles (Classic Custom) highlighted in blue on the add there a 4 pictures. Car has been sitting out on the dirt for what looks like a very long time. L code engine 360 high performance.

Dave

With the right size checkbook or credit card, might be worth saving. It is a piece of law enforcement history. Curious to see what it sells for.

With the right size checkbook or credit card, might be worth saving. It is a piece of law enforcement history. Curious to see what it sells for.

I would be curious as to why they parked it after only 48k. That would be very unusual for any police agency to do, they try to get their money out of their cruisers. I am thinking they probably blew the engine and decided not to replace it as the cars in most agencies were turned at about 70k unless they went out for a full depot rebuild. Funny thing is that they might well get more for it now than it would have been worth at a typical police sale in the early 1980's. Retired police cruisers could be bought at auction for $600 to $1000 all day long in the early 1980's.

Dave

I would be curious as to why they parked it after only 48k. That would be very unusual for any police agency to do, they try to get their money out of their cruisers. I am thinking they probably blew the engine and decided not to replace it as the cars in most agencies were turned at about 70k unless they went out for a full depot rebuild.

Dave
Will put Dave, I didn’t think of that. You might be onto something there..

The car would have had all of the Chrysler hi-perf items that went into those vehicles back then. The 360 HO motor, the TF, the springs, full dual exhaust(!), 15x7 wheels, etc. Even so, not spectacular performance in OEM form.

Interesting that they're selling the light bar on it, too! Had to have been something that somebody got disgusted with and ordered it parked. Possibly something in the electronic engine controls?

Probably replaced it with a 9C1 Caprice 5.7L sedan. "Anybody" can work on a Chevrolet, usually, AND knows what makes them tick (even the valve lifters, back then).

CBODY67

I see them all the time on TJ Hooker !

TJ was filmed when those cars were still reasonably plentiful, not in more recent times.

Here are the pictures right side up for posterity.

1979 CHRYSLER NEWPORT.001.jpg

1979 CHRYSLER NEWPORT.002.jpg

1979 CHRYSLER NEWPORT.003.jpg

1979 CHRYSLER NEWPORT.004.jpg

I am bidding .. but sorry cannot disclose publicly where I am stopping (the lurkers ya know).

Yes, i will buy it sight unseen in person even tho is $2200 right now. If bodywise its unsaveable, so be it.

I will have to confirm CBODY67's observation tho -- I have a call into Sgt. Raines to see if he has any other relevant info -- otherwise risk of purchase for me has been exceeded at current price.

i do plan on being in a "fight" with a "good ole Tennessee boy or girl" who JUST has to have this car. They drove one, was chased by one, or heck just flat out want it for whatever reason(s)

If i dont get it, hope one of them does :)

we'll see

The car would have had all of the Chrysler hi-perf items that went into those vehicles back then. The 360 HO motor, the TF, the springs, full dual exhaust(!), 15x7 wheels, etc. Even so, not spectacular performance in OEM form. CBODY67

I am bidding .. but sorry cannot disclose publicly where I am stopping (the lurkers ya know).

Yes, i will buy it sight unseen in person even tho is $2200 right now. If bodywise its unsaveable, so be it. I will have to confirm CBODY67's observation tho -- I have a call into Sgt. Raines to see if he has any other relevant info.

we'll see
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It says it's at a training facility. They may have used it to teach rookies how to shove the head down before entry to the rear seat.

ONE good thing about those cars, as I observed at Mopar Nats one year, is that a "Cordoba 400" "k-frame" is all it takes to put a RB engine in that car. A few made-up lines from the a/c compressor, '73 Charger exhaust manifolds, and a driveshaft (as the owner told me what he used) is all it takes. I was surprised back then, but not after I thought about it and the heritage relationship to B-body cars. As the car had factory dual-cat dual exhausts, the rear pipe exits were in the stock location, too. Just as the Chrysler "Cordoba" 300s were, which is the car's powertrain sibling.

His particular car had been a Fire Chief's car and was for sale by a salvage yard friend of his, who was selling the car for the municipality. It hadn't seem much "action", but was a real car in very good condition.

He had a mild 440 built for it. He added a 360 4bbl pie pan to the factory air cleaner, which confounded the Chevy guys, especially after he'd defeated them. He also said that some area state police guys had approached him at the gas station, after they heard the exhaust note, wanting to know what he had in there. They didn't buy the "it's stock" line either, as they said "I had one of those and it didn't sound like that". After seeing what he'd done, they approved and wished they'd had one like that, back then.

Worst thing about the restoration would be the bumper fillers, front and rear. Just normal age-related deterioration. Possibly the padded dash pad, too? '79-'81 didn't have very many Chryslers or St. Regis Dodges produced.

CBODY67

CBODY67

Wow that's cool. Since I moved here, I've seen retired 78 B-body THP cars and 82&up M-body THP cars but never an R-Body. It's got the correct 76-85 era THP license plate. Interesting that it has 1979 on the rear fender & rear bumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back