For Sale 1980 St Regis police car

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle340

Reaction score
Contact seller
1980 Dodge St Regis police car. L-code 360, white with blue interior. I bought an estate out over the summer, this car was part of the deal, so I'll tell you all I know about the car. It's been off the road 25 years or so, I bought it never hearing it run turn over or anything, I just got the car home Saturday, put a battery in it and it turns over, that's as far as I've got so far. Car still has all the police specific items, except the center caps. I haven't looked the car over to good, but did see a little rust in the driver's 1/4 extension and lower 1/4. Three fender tags, car has, power windows, and all that good stuff. Would make a great project car, or parts car if you need alot of the police stuff. I'm just looking to get my money back out of it, $1000. Clean title.

IMG_20190714_112101796.jpg
IMG_20190714_112042413_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190714_112231750.jpg
IMG_20190714_112134547_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190714_112219930_HDR.jpg

Like the car, not a buyer, just curious. Any idea what department it came from?

I don't. The guy passed away that owned it, his son didn't care anything about all his Mopar stuff, and knew none of the history. If it was originally from here in Kentucky it could have been a state trooper, but there are two Ford plants here close by so they run Ford's around here.

if i was around the block it would be on a flatbed to my garage. price is fair to me.

alas i am not, but there's easily $1,000 hard-to-find cop-only parts here for another R of course, or even some F/M/J stuff (e;g. 125 mph speedo fits J's). can't tell if it has slotted 15x7 HD steelies tho, or a sure grip.

A resto as-is and you'd be hard pressed to come out ahead I would fear .. unless doing a lot of the work personally. It'd be a labor of love for the right buyer.

i too like shooter65 wondered about its pedigree when in service. that info tends to appear to cop car buyers but its lost in time as you pointed out. Staties tended to go with the L-codes for pursuit duty .. but it could have been any fleet buyer (city, county) that had it.

thanks for putting it on! hope it finds a good home kyle 340

I did just find a couple of pics of st Regis police cars being used by the Kentucky state police. Yeah I knew it would be a labor of love, I'm just trying to pass it alone to the next guy. It does have the slot Police wheels, but caps are gone, I haven't checked for the sure grip yet.

Yep, it will take some work to clean and get it presentable, BUT these were really neat cars (mechanically) and are much better cars than many gave them credit for being. AND many design features reflect that Chrysler knew what the cars would be used for and designed them for it. Like the fact the full exhaust hangs higher than the lowest point of the rocker panels. The only thing lower than the rocker panels is the rear axle, by observation.

No power seat dur to the width of the seat tracks to clear the additional hump in the floor pan to clear the lh cat converter. REAL dual exhausts, with dual converters.

AND . . . for those that might care, a '78 or so Cordoba k-frame bolts right in, which means instant B/RB block capabilities. I saw a '79 St. Regis (former fire chief's car) at Mopar Nats one year where the guy had done just that. About all he had to fabricate was the a/c line to the RVC-2 compressor. The '80s had the Denso compressor and special intake manifold thermostat clocking to clear it.

The 125mph certified speedo is neat too. I put one in my '80 Newport. The triple-digits just look better.

This would be one car you could enjoy and restore when possible. AND be the only one around with one. Keeping it stock would be really neat, but a few changes could be explained by "special equipment added by the department".

For anyone who likes old lar enforcement vehicles, this would be one to have. Certainly not the generic Crown Vic of that era! Probably faster, too, stock. One of the best-liked Mopar Squads, from what I understand.

Hope it finds a good home! It deserves it as a rare Mopar performance car few knew existed! I remember seeing that my '80 Newport is one of about 25K built that year. St. Regis probably similar. That's TOTAL production for "80 Newports, all engines, all equipment. So the rarity of any surviving '80 St. Regis police vehicle puts the survivor numbers down pretty low, I suspect.

There is a national police car club. Might advertise it there, too?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I had a 1980 Gran Fury Highland Park cop car back in the late ‘80s that I’m reminded of when seeing this car. I remember there was no killing that drivetrain as the sheet metal body and things like door latch mechanisms failed around me but that was an inner city Detroit unit that was beat probably 365 days a year while in service. Great cars.:thumbsup:

Back in my young impressionable years there was a guy on my dads traveling bowling team that had ex-squad St Regis. I remember thinking that car looked so cool and sounded so cool. Wanted one when I could drive. But of course by the late 90's they were pretty well non-existent.

Another update, No Title for this car, I tried to transfer it today to no avail. Title had be archived, and with the previous owner deceased, no way for him to fix the problem. I guess if no one wants it whole, I will part it out if it comes to that. Thanks

Just curious . . . can it be sold with a Bill of Sale and then registered with that? Possibly after a verified title search having been done? Might the executor of the estate be of some help?

CBODY67

I would gladly write a bill of sale, his wife is over everything Mopar related, she wanted him to sell everything years ago and he didn't. The son basically is the only one who is helping with stuff and I'm not sure the wife will mess with the title issue. She would have scrapped everything had it not been for the son who called me. I started hauling stuff of of there is July and I'm still hauling stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back