For Sale 1981 Chrysler Cordoba $5k Canadian $ not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

coco

Reaction score
Contact seller
Maybe this floats your boat? 44k miles and a nice trip to Nova Scotia to pick it up, looks nice colour combo.

1981 Chrysler Cordoba | Classic Cars | Yarmouth | Kijiji

$_59.JPG

$_5.JPG

Looks Good, However some close up pictures are needed.

Been for sale for months market price on FMJ's around here don't go much beyond $2500. I picked my 80 Doba up for $500 and lost a deal on a 79 Lebaron for $1000 as I couldn't get to the guy's house fast enough lol.

Looks like a nice car from what the dark photos show at least. But I am not a fan of the thick C pillar. The more slender one was much more desirable. Reasonable price to me for such a nice car if indeed it checks out OK. I just liked these models a lot though.

Looks like a nice car from what the dark photos show at least. But I am not a fan of the thick C pillar. The more slender one was much more desirable. Reasonable price to me for such a nice car if indeed it checks out OK. I just liked these models a lot though.

The A-904 transmission with the lockup convertor was a lot of trouble in these cars, so if anyone decides to go look at this car, be sure to test drive it as these transmissions sometime failed in as little as 30k.

Dave

The A-904 transmission with the lockup convertor was a lot of trouble in these cars, so if anyone decides to go look at this car, be sure to test drive it as these transmissions sometime failed in as little as 30k.

Dave
That test drive may indicate something wrong but many times they detonated without warning.

I had a 81 mirada for a short time.It had a slant six in it.It was a very comfortable nice road car and got about 25 mpg.This is a leather interior and looks comfy.Somebody will love it.R bodies got no love when they came out.B.B

My recollection was that the lock up torque converter in the 904s were pretty stout by 1981. It was the earlier years that were more problemmatic.

My recollection was that the lock up torque converter in the 904s were pretty stout by 1981. It was the earlier years that were more problemmatic.

The '78 Lockup was engaged by a hydraulic valve. Unfortunately, the lockup failed to disengage when the car was placed in reverse. This must have led to some very colorful language when folks tried to park their cars because the engine would quit going from drive to reverse. If you restarted the car in neutral the pressure would bleed off and and you could back up. The friction material in the torque convertor tended to disintegrate and spread debris all through the transmission. This plugged the transmission filter and tended to ruin the hard parts as the friction material was highly abrasive.

The valve body was redesigned for '79 with a fail safe valve and the reverse lockup issue was resolved, but the problems with the friction material coming loose were still very evident from convertor failures. There were also continuing problems with premature lock up, shuddering shifts and erratic performance.

The later transmissions used an electric solenoid in place of the hydraulic valve to lock the the convertor. These solenoids proved to be troublesome as with use they tended to stick. Stuck closed, the locking convertor did not engage. Stuck open, the convertor would not disengage and the car would quit every time it came to a stop. If the solenoid stuck part way open, the convertor would not have adequate operating pressure to the lock up and the friction material would slip and destroy itself fairly quickly.

Dave

My '75 Doba in Metallic Forest Green W/ matching Corinthian Leather really spoiled my. Especially after I saw the square headlite carz. Not even the '79 300 W/ T-Tops helped that.

My '75 Doba in Metallic Forest Green W/ matching Corinthian Leather really spoiled my. Especially after I saw the square headlite carz. Not even the '79 300 W/ T-Tops helped that.

When ordering the lab car for our engineering department in 1979, my first choice in those years was a J body with the special handling package. I solved that dilemma regarding the Cordoba's square headlights, which I didn't see as all that bad though, by ordering a dark blue Magnum. I never looked back and genuinely loved that car. It had a 360-4 bbl package on it and it was one of the best cars I have ever experienced. Ours had the split bench seat and it was truly comfortable and supportive and with the rear sway bar package, it handled great. And it looked so cool and sinister too. Every time I walked out of the office to go somewhere and looked at it, it put a smile on my face.

When ordering the lab car for our engineering department in 1979, my first choice in those years was a J body with the special handling package. I solved that dilemma regarding the Cordoba's square headlights, which I didn't see as all that bad though, by ordering a dark blue Magnum. I never looked back and genuinely loved that car. It had a 360-4 bbl package on it and it was one of the best cars I have ever experienced. Ours had the split bench seat and it was truly comfortable and supportive and with the rear sway bar package, it handled great. And it looked so cool and sinister too. Every time I walked out of the office to go somewhere and looked at it, it put a smile on my face.

The '79 360-4BBL equipped cars with the Cordoba nameplate were rare because everyone was into fuel economy. This car also had the heavier A-999 transmission, a beefed up version of the A-904 which made it more reliable. If memory serves me correctly, less than 200 of these were made with the 360-4BBL and this option disappeared altogether for the '80 model year for the Cordoba.

Dave

You like the square headlites, I like the 1st generation round ones with those cute little round marker lites inboard of the big onez. I guess that's why some of us prefer Brunettes to Blondes My friend, lol. I ordered that car specked that way and loved it too. It was for Gail tho' and she loved it as well. Had a three year note in those days and had two more months to go when she got T-Boned in a grocery store parking lot. Insurance fixed the car and unfortunately I'd opened my mouth to my Mother and told her I'd give her that car when it was about paid for. It was in the body shop being put back together when Mom called and refreshed my memory. And at that very time we were in the process of building a 2100 sq.ft' home on 3 acres in the woods in Michigan. Hecky Pooie. I have a pic of my K-100 Kenworth with a 42' drop deck attached with 4 Case Tractor's all piggy backed up and decked out for golf course duty on two military bases in SoCal with the Doba hangin' on behind with the rear wheels completely off the back end of the trailer,lol. I Raised the back end up and slid an 8"X8"X8' timber under the spring mounts. So illegal dementionally I just had to snap ah Pic. Spent 'bout 12 extra hours in Missouri waiting for ah scale to close west of St. Louis too. Your kinda from that SoCal territory. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to intentionally not stop or be seen by that south bound scale on Cajon Pass half way down the I-15 grade to the 15+215 split? 2300 miles thru' how many states and not one port of entry saw me, lol. Mom loved me but it took years for my wife to stop reminding me that I gave away her Dear Doba, Jer

Last edited:
Far better looking then the '79 300 Pete. I'd forgotten about those glassed over Quad headlites on the GT Magnum. Memories of the '65 300L headlites linez and all aye? Post up ah side shot of that beauty for us to drool over PAHLEEZ, Jer

The '79 360-4BBL equipped cars with the Cordoba nameplate were rare because everyone was into fuel economy. This car also had the heavier A-999 transmission, a beefed up version of the A-904 which made it more reliable. If memory serves me correctly, less than 200 of these were made with the 360-4BBL and this option disappeared altogether for the '80 model year for the Cordoba.

Dave

I was stationed at the California Emission Test Facility at the time in Santa Fe Springs, CA. The 360-4 was the only 360 package certified for sale in CA. We didn't want the 2 bbl package. Likewise, the only 318 package certified for sale in the state was a 4 bbl. in 1978 and 1979. The 2bbls didn't meet our driveablilty requirements.

I was stationed at the California Emission Test Facility at the time in Santa Fe Springs, CA. The 360-4 was the only 360 package certified for sale in CA. We didn't want the 2 bbl package. Likewise, the only 318 package certified for sale in the state was a 4 bbl. in 1978 and 1979. The 2bbls didn't meet our driveablilty requirements.

I was aware the only the 318 4BBL and 360 4BBL with the smog pump would pass California Emissions, mostly from the FSM. In this area (Oregon) the only 360 4BBLs we saw were for police applications.

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back