not mine

1981 Chrysler Imperial
1647485615975.png

1647485624743.png

1647485638800.png
1647485648018.png
1647485657092.png
1647485666165.png

1981 Chrysler Imperial. 19k miles. Original running EFI car. Original PA car that spend most its life in Georgia. Not driven in winters. New tires and re-cored radiator. Nice original interior. Original paint showing a little age. Paint cracking behind drivers door. $10,000

One of my favorite cars in one of my favorite colors. I have a 1971 2 door Imperial in the same color - maybe I need this one made 10 years later. It would be hard to find a nicer 1981 than this one it appears.

I wonder whether he has the conversion package since I don't know how many electronic components on these cars still exist if needed?

Well Chrysler blew it twice with fuel injection:

1958 Chrysler and Desoto

1981-83 Imperial

by 1984 they finally got it right with the 4 cylinder, 2.2 liter engines that had fuel injection

The peak was 1991-93 when they had a T3 engine: 4 cylinder, turbo, intercooled, 16 valve, DOHC that made 224 HP.
That engine cost you an extra 8,000.00 or so in either the Spirit R/T or the Daytona IROC R/T so they did not sell well
due to the cost. It also was the 1st Mopar engine that did not have a distributor. The head and all of the valve train parts were built
by Lotus in the UK. You could surprise the hell out of anyone running a V8 built at the time. All of them had a 160 MPH Speedo.

Here is a picture of my 1992 Daytona IROC R/T with 18,000 miles on it. EVERYTHING under the hood was different except for the radiator cap! And that includes
all of the A/C and exhaust components. There were no aftermarket parts for these engines from any normal suppliers. Mine was about $22,000.00 new as it was
loaded including security alarm, ABS, rear wiper, overhead console, leather wheel, fog lamps and CD player

Google Photos

Google Photos

Last edited:
You had a couple of great cars! I love those little monsters and they ran well/quick and the cars themselves handled really well and looked great. Do you still have those cars then?

I was working for Chrysler in 1981 when those Imperials first came out. I was at an emission test facility developing emission control systems at that time and when we received the first of those Imperials, we knew real quick this was never going to work.....

If a vacuum hose fell off or the air cleaner lid had a leak of any kind around the seals, they would not run. The electronic components also were not robust so the cars just were not reliable in normal use. After about a month of experience with a few of the early production models, we raised the red flag with management and they started working on the retrofit kit and really found out just how much of a huge mess they had on their hands. i believe there was even a "Frank Sinatra" edition and he got really pissed when the cars named after him and he helped market to all his friends ended up being a disaster.

Good times - not!.......................but they were nice cars to drive when they were working well even if they were underpowered with their 318s. I still love their styling.......................

You had a couple of great cars! I love those little monsters and they ran well/quick and the cars themselves handled really well and looked great. Do you still have those cars then?

I was working for Chrysler in 1981 when those Imperials first came out. I was at an emission test facility developing emission control systems at that time and when we received the first of those Imperials, we knew real quick this was never going to work.....

If a vacuum hose fell off or the air cleaner lid had a leak of any kind around the seals, they would not run. The electronic components also were not robust so the cars just were not reliable in normal use. After about a month of experience with a few of the early production models, we raised the red flag with management and they started working on the retrofit kit and really found out just how much of a huge mess they had on their hands. i believe there was even a "Frank Sinatra" edition and he got really pissed when the cars named after him and he helped market to all his friends ended up being a disaster.

Good times - not!.......................but they were nice cars to drive when they were working well even if they were underpowered with their 318s. I still love their styling.......................
I remember every month in Hemming's there was a ad every month from THE IMPERIAL WIZARD in Colorado who sold parts and had technical help to help owners who exhausted their patience
with the Dealer's( not a dealer problem imo). A few small tweaks and the car ran very well and also got great gas mileage. Too bad it was rushed to production.

I could only dream that my 81 Imperial was this clean.
You can tell this one was well taken care of. Heck the bumpers haven't even started their dreaded corrosion issue. And since I don't see a little asterisk/star above the odometer reading, she still has the factory FI.
IMG_20210919_151602074_HDR.jpg

I could never buy that car knowing what I eventually learned.
Every mile you drove didn't mean it would complete its next mile

not mine

1981 Chrysler Imperial
View attachment 520725
View attachment 520726
View attachment 520727View attachment 520728View attachment 520729View attachment 520730

1981 Chrysler Imperial. 19k miles. Original running EFI car. Original PA car that spend most its life in Georgia. Not driven in winters. New tires and re-cored radiator. Nice original interior. Original paint showing a little age. Paint cracking behind drivers door. $10,000
Is this car still available. Very interested in buying it.

I could only dream that my 81 Imperial was this clean.
You can tell this one was well taken care of. Heck the bumpers haven't even started their dreaded corrosion issue. And since I don't see a little asterisk/star above the odometer reading, she still has the factory FI.
View attachment 520900
Is this car still available. Very interested in buying it

One of my favorite cars in one of my favorite colors. I have a 1971 2 door Imperial in the same color - maybe I need this one made 10 years later. It would be hard to find a nicer 1981 than this one it appears.

I wonder whether he has the conversion package since I don't know how many electronic components on these cars still exist if needed?

No conversion package. There would be a green dot next to the odometer. This puppy is original.

Back