For Sale 1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1 LT1 4L60e former Mass Statie cruiser - $600 (Gloucester)

Status
Not open for further replies.

68PK21 440.6bbl

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
NOT MINE!!!... I came across this one I don't know/can't remember where/why, must of come from the FB cop car page, I didn't know what to do with it other than show what you can get for 600 bucks still today. It is a GM after all. oh and also HOSE!

1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1 LT1 4L60e former Mass Statie cruiser - cars &...

condition: salvage
paint color: custom
title status: clean

00C0C_hcUkclVCiwu_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_5vLuJZLmzux_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00B0B_32bf9FttqDh_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_8b6Yes0gZzy_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_btVvISQSq3h_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00808_326z0WlrdnG_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I think the cage is worth 600 bucks to someone.

00U0U_88GcJVJcrBI_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

1995 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 police. Car has 300hp LT1 350 with 4L60e trans. Has divider. Basically an Impala SS without any of the style. Plenty of rust. Plenty of smells. Plenty of ugly. But, to the right person it’s got plenty to offer.

Car and engine have 205k, trans is GM reman with approx 8k. Hotchkis suspension. Goodyear RSA tires With tons of tread on police steelies. Working locking differential. This car ripped when daily driven. Was parked one day and 4 years went by.

Been sitting in a yard on grass for approx 4 years, not started for 2 years until today (Wednesday June 24) Popped brake line. Steering is tight but turns. Started right up with a jump, and yard drives. Half the exhaust fell off when we moved it. Don’t think you gonna drive it home... this will need major effort to street drive. Perfect for enduro, demo derby, or parts. If you have read this far you know what your looking at.

Priced to sell at 600 bucks cash. Mass title in hand. Located downtown Gloucester Mass. It starts and should drive on to trailer under its own power.

Please include phone number in reply.

post id: 7147833928
posted: 2020-06-24 18:26
updated: 2020-06-24 18:26

I agree, looks like you could get at least $600 in parts off of it between the wheels, cage, and mechanicals, along with a possibly crack-free dash pad.

I can just about guarantee that the frame is toast, making a parts car and not a candidate for a resto.

Jeff

Is that right? Are those chevy's bad? The rust bubbles showing on the RF door were starting to appear on my 1977 PK41 MASP cars in the early 80's in both the doors and rear quarters and dog leg. The rear quarters weren't rotted out, but it was starting. The non driver I got for a hundred bucks was a little better shape, but the driver I got I surmised was a Turnpike car, and they salt the phoouck out of that road. When I was installing the stereo system I pulled out the front rubber rug and gasped at the driver side floor rust. No rust through or weakness but it was starting to scale pretty good and I just thought that the trooper never kicked the snow off his boots before getting into the car. eeek

I don't know about frame issues, we don't have those out here. But I would own that for 600 out here right now.
I had a civilian version several years back, terrible car from a car guys perspective. Looked like a bar of soap on the out side with a janky early 90's plastic and fabric interior, motor work was a nightmare for a sbc.
However the wheel base was perfect for a chassis swap I wanted to do with one of my panels.
Never got to it and sold the car due to storage constraints. I hated to sell it, I offed the whole car for 200. It was straight with a junk 305 and a posi.
If it was a 9c1 I would have held on. The wheelbase is a little shorter in the 9c1 which can be seen at real wheels, not being centered in the opening.
These were the plentiful surplus retired police cars 10 to 15 years ago. Now it's the Charger but the Chargers sure seem to be more beat down. Front ends are toast and the 5.7's are likely the same.

When you see rot at the base of the A-pillar, the car is usually done.
caprice cop 1.JPG

Rot at the base of the B-pillar is very common, and doesn't necessarily mean that the rest of the car is real bad.
IMG_9698.JPG

The driver side of the frame seems to go first. Not the greatest photos, but this frame is toast. It's my father's '92 Olds Custom Cruiser.
IMG_9695.JPG

IMG_9697.JPG

This car came from the Washington DC area, so it's not even from what I would call a high salt area. I believe the previous owner probably had a gravel driveway because it was already pretty crusty when we bought it back in 2007. I have some good pics from when I repaired the front of the frame, but my computer seems to have lost track of the backup hard drive where they are stored. Those will have to wait till later.

The seller of the cop car says it's been parked over grass for four years. I'm sure he mentioned that as a roundabout way of saying that the frame is done, and the floors are probably a crusty mess too.

Jeff

I can't believe the corrosion out there. I honestly did not know frames rusted through before I had the internet. I can't believe the public tolerates it.
They recently started using chemical deicer out here after 100 years. Not sure what the effects will be. I do know that cars that age that have spent 30 years at the coast do not have that frame rot. They may be rusty as hell but not like that.

The rust issues out here have become significantly worse after they switched from mineral salt to the liquid brine solution. The brine is brutal on fuel and brake lines. You can now buy brake line kits from the car manufacturers to replace all the lines on many vehicles now. Years ago they never offered stuff like that. Once a vehicle was about five years old, you couldn't even buy individual lines, you had to make them yourself. Now the demand is so high, they offer the kits. My friend just bought one for his 16 year old GMC pickup truck right from GM.

GM uses a wax based coating on their frames and the salt takes that stuff right off and then you're down to bare metal when the vehicle is fairly new. That bare metal can get very rusty by the time it's only ten years old.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back