2 piece carpet. Overlap or butt joint

D Cluley

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put new carpet in my '65 300, and the old carpet is not original, and so worn I can't tell.

I'm guessing overlap, if that's the case, which half goes on top?

Front overlaps the rear. The front will have a finished edge.

34991082453_143659db12_o.jpg

Yep, as @D Cluley said, install the back first, then the front overlaps it. There is not much overlap, so be careful that you don't pull the front section too far forward while fitting and wind-up with a gap.

Fit both sections from the center hump outwards. Do not fit the door sill areas until the end. I used paver bricks inside plastic bags (because the pavers were dirty) to weigh down the carpet so it would flatten out and conform better. Where it still wouldn't settle, I used polyurethane construction adhesive (sparingly) to keep it in place, then placed pavers over top while the glue dried.

The usual instructions say to cut star-shaped slits approximately where you want holes to be for seat belts, seat mounting, etc. Then get the exact hole positioning and cut larger holes. If you have a soldering iron, it works much better and faster. (I think I got this tip from @Big_John .) Just make sure you have good ventilation to blow away the burning plastic smoke, and a rag to wipe the melted plastic off the soldering iron to reduce the smoke.

For seatbelt holes, I found the correct spot, poked through the carpet with an awl, marked the spot with a black sharpie, then poked the iron through the same spot to enlarge the hole to the correct size. For seat mounting holes, weight the carpet around the hole area with pavers, then climb underneath the car and poke the iron up through the hole from underneath.

Yep, as @D Cluley said, install the back first, then the front overlaps it. There is not much overlap, so be careful that you don't pull the front section too far forward while fitting and wind-up with a gap.

Fit both sections from the center hump outwards. Do not fit the door sill areas until the end. I used paver bricks inside plastic bags (because the pavers were dirty) to weigh down the carpet so it would flatten out and conform better. Where it still wouldn't settle, I used polyurethane construction adhesive (sparingly) to keep it in place, then placed pavers over top while the glue dried.

The usual instructions say to cut star-shaped slits approximately where you want holes to be for seat belts, seat mounting, etc. Then get the exact hole positioning and cut larger holes. If you have a soldering iron, it works much better and faster. (I think I got this tip from @Big_John .) Just make sure you have good ventilation to blow away the burning plastic smoke, and a rag to wipe the melted plastic off the soldering iron to reduce the smoke.

For seatbelt holes, I found the correct spot, poked through the carpet with an awl, marked the spot with a black sharpie, then poked the iron through the same spot to enlarge the hole to the correct size. For seat mounting holes, weight the carpet around the hole area with pavers, then climb underneath the car and poke the iron up through the hole from underneath.
To expand on that... I've even let the cars sit in the hot sun before trimming the edges. Cut them (actually everything) long and sneak up on the final cut.

I actually like putting carpet in. It's a bit of a pain, but the results are very gratifying.

Some good tips here too... Just ignore the first couple minutes of nonsense.

Carpet is in and while not 100% perfect, I'm satisfied. The soldering iron trick is great, definitely the way to go. I can see where fumes could be a problem, but doing a convertible in the driveway, I had all the fresh air I needed.

Thanks again.

Carpet is in and while not 100% perfect, I'm satisfied. The soldering iron trick is great, definitely the way to go. I can see where fumes could be a problem, but doing a convertible in the driveway, I had all the fresh air I needed.

Thanks again.

No pics?

Picture 1 is from 2003. The faded pink mess is the original carpet that came with the car. If you look closely, you can see that the carpet (along with the floor!) is missing behind the drivers seat. After patching the floor, this was replaced with black carpeting from a New Yorker. Better condition, but still 40 years old.

chicago august 2003 001.jpg

After another 15 years, this is what was left of the black carpet.
0627191940.jpg

I ordered seat covers as well, they should be here later this month. I'm hoping to get the front buckets and the armrest done this summer.

IMGP9444.JPG
IMGP9445.JPG

Back