2005 Dodge Stratus ABS & Traction Control Lights On

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi All. I know there are some seasoned and working techs here (@65sporty etc), so I'm asking if anyone ever ran into this. 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT 2.7 V6, brakes feel completely normal. Runs normal. Yet, ABS & Traction Control Lights On. What was the problem? What did it cost to fix? Thanks, Ben
PS Stratus ABS light photo.jpg

WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, IF YOU CAN GET IT SCANDED FOR FREE IT WILL BE EVEN CHEAPER TO FIX, FIND OUT WHICH WHEEL SENSOR HAS GONE BAD. DOES THE STEERING FEEL WEIRD AND HARDER ALSO? IF YOU CONTINUE TO DRIVE IN THIS CONDITION YOU MIGHT GET A CHECK ENG. LIGHT ALSO. CRUISE CONTROL WILL STOP WORKING ALSO UNTILL YOU FIX THE OTHER PROBLEM. SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY 2015 DART, SCAND IT, $23.00 WHEEL SPEED SENSOR PUT IT ON AND DROVE THE CAR A COUPLE TIMES AND ALL THE WARNING LIGHTS CLEARED THEMSELVES, EVEN THE CHECK ENG. LIGHT. NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK. MAKE SURE CRUISE COMES BACK AND POWER SREERING.

Speed sensors are the common items that tie both systems together. Traction control as to "side-to-side" wheel speed differences (driving wheels). ABS for comparison of all wheel speeds compared to each other. One wheel locks up, brake pressure to that wheel is decreased until the differential ends . . . humongous number of times/second.

CBODY67

Speed sensors are the common items that tie both systems together. Traction control as to "side-to-side" wheel speed differences (driving wheels). ABS for comparison of all wheel speeds compared to each other. One wheel locks up, brake pressure to that wheel is decreased until the differential ends . . . humongous number of times/second.

CBODY67

The other thing that will trip both the ABS and Traction control lights is if you have one of those mini spares installed on the vehicle after a flat or other tire failure. As Willis explained, the sensors read the tire rotations, if one tire is a different size, those readings go south.

Dave

WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, IF YOU CAN GET IT SCANDED FOR FREE IT WILL BE EVEN CHEAPER TO FIX, FIND OUT WHICH WHEEL SENSOR HAS GONE BAD. DOES THE STEERING FEEL WEIRD AND HARDER ALSO? IF YOU CONTINUE TO DRIVE IN THIS CONDITION YOU MIGHT GET A CHECK ENG. LIGHT ALSO. CRUISE CONTROL WILL STOP WORKING ALSO UNTILL YOU FIX THE OTHER PROBLEM. SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY 2015 DART, SCAND IT, $23.00 WHEEL SPEED SENSOR PUT IT ON AND DROVE THE CAR A COUPLE TIMES AND ALL THE WARNING LIGHTS CLEARED THEMSELVES, EVEN THE CHECK ENG. LIGHT. NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK. MAKE SURE CRUISE COMES BACK AND POWER SREERING.
The car does not have spare installed. Advance is not doing scans now. Covid19. Where did not get it scanned for free? Thanks, Ben
BTW, what engine is in your 2015 Dart? Have an power/acceleration?

The wife’s T Bird has the same issue, although it is intermittent. Another test you can do is pop the wheel off and spin by hand while checking to see if the sensor is showing continuity. It should be sending electrical pulses while the wheel spins. I’ve not tried it yet on the T bird so I’m using Big John’s method until the weather warms up.

DART HAS 2.4 WITH 6 SPEED AUTO. ALL I'VE DONE IS PUT THE COLD AIR INTAKE FROM MOPAR ON IT TO HELP IT BREATH A LITTLE BETTER, SOUNDS COOL TO WHEN YOU GET ON IT. I'M SATISFIED SO FAR WITH IT FOR 5+ YEARS. HEARD AND READ LOTS OF BAD REVIEWS ON THE DARTS EVER SINCE 2013 BUT I LIKE MINE SO FAR.

AS FOR FREE SCAN I HAVE A FRIEND THAT RUNS HIS OWN AUTO REPAIR AND HE'S GOT THAT FANCY WIRELESS SCANNER THAT TELLS AIRYTANG. SAVED ME SOME COIN THERE.

Charles Smith at Smith Auto, phone call. He is a friend of the family who is been in the automotive business for 50 years. The ABS light and the traction control light are not Virginia inspection items. Usually when the ABS goes, it will light the traction control as well. The problem is most likely with the ABS system. The problem could be a wheel sensor, wiring to the wheel sensors, or the antilock brake system computer itself. There’s simply no way to know the cost except by scanning and diagnostics. I called the owner back and canceled the appointment to see the car. This was a car I was considering purchasing. I advised him of the situation and what might be the causes and suggested that he get it looked at before he sells the vehicle. Thanks for all your help!

Does the "key dance" not work on the Stratus? It does on my '06 Magnum. It show's the code for the exact speed sensor, if that's what it is. My ABS light is on right now, with a recently replaced speed sensor. I read after buying a generic part that they're junk, and only dealership replacements will work. Which seems odd, I'll eventually find out.

There's always this option. :lol:

View attachment 432363

There's still the annoying ding!

Charles Smith at Smith Auto, phone call. He is a friend of the family who is been in the automotive business for 50 years. The ABS light and the traction control light are not Virginia inspection items. Usually when the ABS goes, it will light the traction control as well. The problem is most likely with the ABS system. The problem could be a wheel sensor, wiring to the wheel sensors, or the antilock brake system computer itself. There’s simply no way to know the cost except by scanning and diagnostics. I called the owner back and canceled the appointment to see the car. This was a car I was considering purchasing. I advised him of the situation and what might be the causes and suggested that he get it looked at before he sells the vehicle. Thanks for all your help!
I was assuming this was your car, the seller should fix it or be prepared to lower his price to cover the cost of repairs

Does the "key dance" not work on the Stratus? It does on my '06 Magnum. It show's the code for the exact speed sensor, if that's what it is. My ABS light is on right now, with a recently replaced speed sensor. I read after buying a generic part that they're junk, and only dealership replacements will work. Which seems odd, I'll eventually find out.

There's still the annoying ding!

I was assuming this was your car, the seller should fix it or be prepared to lower his price to cover the cost of repairs
The car is a good distance away. I had the seller email me pictures. He was a nice guy with little auto knowledge however.

Mr. Smith said, "No way to know cost, could be wheel speed sensor plus diagnostics/labor, wiring repair plus labor to find wiring problem (who knows how many hours?), or ABS computer plus diagnostics/labor." I canceled my visit to see the car and told the owner over the phone what needs to be done to fix it. At this point, I could care less what he does with the car, but he should fix it or not sell it.

Back