2017 RAM 1500, The Final Solution

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with my 1990 W150 pickup. Over the last 3 years, the TBI truck had developed many wiring problems as a well as other electrical malfunctions. I considered trying to fabricate a wiring harness that would take the computer out of the picture and render it carbureted, but I needed a dependable truck now. My truck is my main transportation. It cannot be a project. So I sold the 1990 W150 to a mechanic who collects the box-shape Rams for $2000.

The question became: what to buy? I wanted something much newer than 32 years old. I wanted a truck with a 5.7 L hemi. It had to have an 8 foot bed. I occasionally carry 4 x 8 plywood or a load of gravel, and 6-foot beds or 5-foot beds don’t do the job. I was surprised to find out how difficult it is to buy a newer truck with an 8 foot bed, especially standard cab. The model of the Ram that has an 8 foot bed is called Tradesman. Most of the few that I found had rough commercial owner Carfax history, including damage from snow plowing. In low mileage personal owner vehicles with good Carfax history, I found one 2018 Ram 1500 for sale in Virginia and one 2017 in West Virginia. The Virginia truck was less well optioned and 2 hours away. The West Virginia truck was better optioned, with 61827 miles plus really cool factory upgraded rims, step bars, ZF 8HP 8-speed transmission, 3.92 axles, four-wheel-drive, factory class III hitch, factory electric tow controls for brakes on the dash, tonneau cover. The West Virginia dealership, CMA Chrysler, had so little interest in the truck that they were using it for a loaner. They took my bid of $24,500 without a counter offer. Go figure. I bought the 2017 Ram 1500 for $26,131.04 including Virginia state taxes, title and registration fees. With that, Ram welcomed me to the 21st century.
1.0.jpg

1.1.jpg

Not sure if I like the rake in the stance. Can be corrected with taller front struts and realignment of wheels.
1.4.jpg

1.2.jpg

With the tonneau cover the tailgate has an electric lock. Who knew? I'm used to being glad when it shuts and latches.
1.3.jpg

1.5.jpg

1.7.jpg

Seats with no holes
2.1.jpg

Dash pad and panel are nice
3.0.jpg

Steering wheel controls are used to change the display at the center of the instrument cluster.
3.1.jpg

Fancy stereo and AC that works. No CD player. It's supposed to bluetooth connect with CDs saved on a cell phone.
3.3.jpg

No column or 4WD shift levers. Don't really like the knob and push buttons, but I wanted something newer so...
3.8.jpg

Lights I could figure out
3.7.jpg

AC and towing electric brake controls are simple
3.6.jpg

Electric keys are still strange to me
5.0.jpg

Still working on learning the steering wheel controls. Gear +/- can be used to reduce the number of speeds the 8-speed trans is using and then increase them.
3.10.jpg

Instrument cluster and phone controls
3.9.jpg

5.7 Hemi Engine Compartment
4.1.jpg

Maintenance
Brakes and oil still checked the same way
Power steering is electronic pump and has no fluid reservoir
Coolant has a black reservoir. I guess I see the coolant color with a home made dipstick or opening the radiator cap.
Trans oil: dealership claims oil and filter are not changed unless the trans overheats or has a shifting problem. Also, there is no trans dipstick tube. I can't find a plug either. Not sure how or if you check trans oil?

Any tips on maintenance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would not know how to operate that. More complicated than my KW.
I see wiring problems in your future, JK. At least it has a good bed, and less room for extra people in there jabbering on about who knows what, and no movie screen.
Enjoy

The "rake? In prior times that was how light-duty pickups were. Especially IF they had the optional HD rear springs (for a higher GVW).

IF you get a leveling kit for the front, BE SURE to re-aim the headlights down a bit.

The "+" and "-" Gear buttons are for manual shifting with the gear selector in that mode.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Very nice truck, you'll get plenty of comfort driving. Keep up with the oil changes. I bought this one new,

DSC09210.JPG

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with my 1990 W150 pickup. Over the last 3 years, the TBI truck had developed many wiring problems as a well as other electrical malfunctions. I considered trying to fabricate a wiring harness that would take the computer out of the picture and render it carbureted, but I needed a dependable truck now. My truck is my main transportation. It cannot be a project. So I sold the 1990 W150 to a mechanic who collects the box-shape Rams for $2000.

The question became: what to buy? I wanted something much newer than 32 years old. I wanted a truck with a 5.7 L hemi. It had to have an 8 foot bed. I occasionally carry 4 x 8 plywood or a load of gravel, and 6-foot beds or 5-foot beds don’t do the job. I was surprised to find out how difficult it is to buy a newer truck with an 8 foot bed, especially standard cab. The model of the Ram that has an 8 foot bed is called Tradesman. Most of the few that I found had rough commercial owner Carfax history, including damage from snow plowing. In low mileage personal owner vehicles with good Carfax history, I found one 2018 Ram 1500 for sale in Virginia and one 2017 in West Virginia. The Virginia truck was less well optioned and 2 hours away. The West Virginia truck was better optioned, with 61827 miles plus really cool factory upgraded rims, step bars, ZF 8HP 8-speed transmission, 3.92 axles, four-wheel-drive, factory class III hitch, factory electric tow controls for brakes on the dash, tonneau cover. The West Virginia dealership, CMA Chrysler, had so little interest in the truck that they were using it for a loaner. They took my bid of $24,500 without a counter offer. Go figure. I bought the 2017 Ram 1500 for $26,131.04 including Virginia state taxes, title and registration fees. With that, Ram welcomed me to the 21st century.
View attachment 550629
View attachment 550630
Not sure if I like the rake in the stance. Can be corrected with taller front struts and realignment of wheels.
View attachment 550631
View attachment 550632
With the tonneau cover the tailgate has an electric lock. Who knew? I'm used to being glad when it shuts and latches.
View attachment 550633
View attachment 550634
View attachment 550635
Seats with no holes
View attachment 550636
Dash pad and panel are nice
View attachment 550637
Steering wheel controls are used to change the display at the center of the instrument cluster.
View attachment 550638
Great choice. I have a ram 1500 big horn. So far so good

I like my 83 RAM Miser w a /6 and a 4 speed more, but I dig the Hemi plant. Enjoy your new ride.

It’s nearly impossible to find a hemi-powered Mega cab. It took nearly 3 months to locate Big Brown. I’m very fortunate to have this one and a GT to put in the trailer. Enjoy your new ride!

90B344F9-C379-4AEA-AD22-B64D5F24659B.jpeg

Nice truck. From what I understand, regular cab, 8 foot bed pick ups aren't that easy to find. Especially a nice used one. The extended and crew cab trucks are the hot sellers so that is what the manufacturers produce in much greater numbers. You will get used to the creature comforts and follow the maintenance schedule, including what type of oil to use and you will be fine.

Nice truck. From what I understand, regular cab, 8 foot bed pick ups aren't that easy to find. Especially a nice used one. The extended and crew cab trucks are the hot sellers so that is what the manufacturers produce in much greater numbers. ....

You're SOOOO right! The Big Beancounters have been throttling back on producing plain, useful pickups for 20 yrs now. Baroque Boutique Pickups have become the norm for senile Boomers and X ers these daze. When GM released CADILLAC SUVs and trucks, the Fall of America became manifest. Woe woe WOE! (microscopic fiddle symphony here....)

The "rake? In prior times that was how light-duty pickups were. Especially IF they had the optional HD rear springs (for a higher GVW).

IF you get a leveling kit for the front, BE SURE to re-aim the headlights down a bit.

The "+" and "-" Gear buttons are for manual shifting with the gear selector in that mode.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Hi Willis
By contrast the 2500 4WD trucks have no rake.
Thanks for the Gear selector info. I was quoting the sales rep.
I have not yet read the encyclopedia owners manual yet.:lol:
Do not seem to be able to buy a shop manual. Would like to be corrected on that.
Ben

I would not know how to operate that. More complicated than my KW.
I see wiring problems in your future, JK. At least it has a good bed, and less room for extra people in there jabbering on about who knows what, and no movie screen.
Enjoy
Hi Dave,
If there are wiring problems, a shop will be fixing them.
I'm leaving the wiring bone stock!!!! Hope to minimize this problem.
No added alarms or stereo. Ben

Hi Willis
By contrast the 2500 4WD trucks have no rake.
Thanks for the Gear selector info. I was quoting the sales rep.
I have not yet read the encyclopedia owners manual yet.:lol:
Do not seem to be able to buy a shop manual. Would like to be corrected on that.
Ben

Try these guys....

Screenshot_20201205-125559_Chrome.jpg

You're SOOOO right! The Big Beancounters have been throttling back on producing plain, useful pickups for 20 yrs now. Baroque Boutique Pickups have become the norm for senile Boomers and X ers these daze. When GM released CADILLAC SUVs and trucks, the Fall of America became manifest. Woe woe WOE! (microscopic fiddle symphony here....)
To me, when anything with 4 doors became a "car", even if it was on a light-duty pickup truck chassis (AND people knew it!!), that was when things started to get flaky. BTAIM

A side issue on the popularity of a 4-dr pickup truck is that is RWD. IF you're concerned about fuel economy and carring a little bit of stuff, then you get a fwd suv or minivan. IF you want to haul people in comfort and also make trips to Home Depot, then you get a 4-dr pickuo truck with a 6' bed . . . which makes it a Multi-Purpose Vehicle. You want leather? Navigation? Fancy radio and automatic HVAC? NNOOOOO problem.

GM, Ford, and RAM sitll build a single cab 8' bed "proper pickup truck" in their "work truck" trim. And GM recently brought back a single cab 6' bed model in the Work Truck trim, too.

Check out the wheelbases on the 4-dr pickup, too!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

To me, when anything with 4 doors became a "car", even if it was on a light-duty pickup truck chassis (AND people knew it!!), that was when things started to get flaky. BTAIM

A side issue on the popularity of a 4-dr pickup truck is that is RWD. IF you're concerned about fuel economy and carring a little bit of stuff, then you get a fwd suv or minivan. IF you want to haul people in comfort and also make trips to Home Depot, then you get a 4-dr pickuo truck with a 6' bed . . . which makes it a Multi-Purpose Vehicle. You want leather? Navigation? Fancy radio and automatic HVAC? NNOOOOO problem.

GM, Ford, and RAM sitll build a single cab 8' bed "proper pickup truck" in their "work truck" trim. And GM recently brought back a single cab 6' bed model in the Work Truck trim, too.

Check out the wheelbases on the 4-dr pickup, too!

Enjoy!
CBODY67
TOTALLY RIGHT ON! Yes, pickup trucks still have RWD. I recall when a "Silverado" was a LUXURY TRUCK, but NOW, GM put that name on City of Tucson work trucks, or rather, COT bought them. They're painted white anyway....

Back