2018 Hurricane Season... looks like the fun is begining...

What is the most important item in your hurricane survival kit?

• Beer

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Condoms

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ammunition

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Cigarettes

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
19 deaths confirmed now, still have a number of counties around me that are under curfew. A couple of roads have been cut off by floodwaters, but at the moment the rivers are going down. Very lucky here. The Tar river here runs through downtown but i beleive there is no threat.

The sun came out around 11am. People started stirring. 4 days of being stuck in the house. People seemed relived around here. I took the D440 for a spin & put some gas in her. Went to the grocery store to restock on a few things. I though I was in Venezuela as a lot of bone bare shelves. I got most of what I wanted so I should be good till they get it stocked back up.

We're under a tornado watch here until 10PM. Something like 12 twisters so far between Richmond and Fredericksburg which is maybe 25 miles south of here. A few good frog stranglers this afternoon but otherwise we're getting off with a mere nudge in northern VA.

Gary, any damage to the buildings or vehicles beyond the errant door?

Damn, can you imagine if this thing had it the coast as a 4 or 5 moving that slow?
Barely imaginable... a cat 1 is more like the worst summer storms, but relentless. Had she been stronger, the winds alone would have been a real nightmare. Often the biggest wind damage is from the many tornadoes produced.

If not for the rain, I bet lots of those trees would still be standing. Right now, I wouldn't trust any of them to stay standing. I don't like trees big enough, and in range, to fall on the house.

I really appreciate you checking in on Jer, and posting here. I've been holding off since you and Stan were checking on him and he had cell phone issues. I hope he get's A/C soon, it looks like another tough week for them up there. Please let him know he hasn't left my thoughts since this began.

Thanks to Gary for checking on me. And hope all of you and yours are making it ok. Gary is right, we were very fortunate in our neck of the woods. Stay safe.

Dale

Any word from Jer today? I hope the situation is getting better for them.
Hopefully things are easing up or will today... I'm sure this will take a while to settle into something closer to "normal"

Hopefully no more humans at risk and things can settle down. Here's one pic that surfaced of some old iron that caught my eye.
41946279_2169441226676647_8832547115478548480_n.jpg

Remnants of the hurricane made it through Maryland yesterday and is headed back to sea.

I called my buddy yesterday that lives in Wilmington. He’s got two big trees lying in his yard & a mountain of limbs & branches. He sounded exhausted. His house held up well. Some damage but nothing more that a few roof leaks & cosmetic stuff. He said the town was a mess. People that left (most of the town) are trying to get back & cant. The traffic headed south to Wilmington was backed up all the way into Raleigh yesterday when I was on the interstate at noon. Unreal. I 95 in Fayetteville was 4 feet deep in spots with several abandoned cars. This is why people don’t want to leave & decide to ride it out. On a positive note the 10 day weather forcast looks good. Mid 80’s & a few days high 70’s. Humility still pretty high but the lower temps will knock the edge off that. Several of my dealers have been complaining about a shortage of clean low mileage used cars for about a year now. None of them have full lots. This will get much worse as soon as Wilmington & Fayetteville get back going as there will be a high demand for automobiles.

I called my buddy yesterday that lives in Wilmington. He’s got two big trees lying in his yard & a mountain of limbs & branches. He sounded exhausted. His house held up well. Some damage but nothing more that a few roof leaks & cosmetic stuff. He said the town was a mess. People that left (most of the town) are trying to get back & cant. The traffic headed south to Wilmington was backed up all the way into Raleigh yesterday when I was on the interstate at noon. Unreal. I 95 in Fayetteville was 4 feet deep in spots with several abandoned cars. This is why people don’t want to leave & decide to ride it out. On a positive note the 10 day weather forcast looks good. Mid 80’s & a few days high 70’s. Humility still pretty high but the lower temps will knock the edge off that. Several of my dealers have been complaining about a shortage of clean low mileage used cars for about a year now. None of them have full lots. This will get much worse as soon as Wilmington & Fayetteville get back going as there will be a high demand for automobiles.
Do you use a hygrometer to measure humility???:lol::poke:

I happened to spot this and thought it was worth posting. I've posted a number of their videos and even though they are working on Fords, they show some excellent techniques for backyard car restoration. This particular video isn't that deep, but IMHO, the advice to go park your car in a parking garage to weather the storm is brilliant.

I tried Jer's cell yesterday on break, no luck... but I'm sure he has plenty going on.

Back