SOLD 26 Inch Rad. Free. Sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I just replaced the rad in my 300 with a replacement unit from Rock Auto due to an upper tank leak that I didn't feel like dealing with--4 day wait with the radiator shop in a crummy part of town, etc, etc. My new unit is fine, but has no OEM markings, FYI.

I used to fix assorted tank seam leaks by simply giving them a bit of propane torch heat and watch for a glimmer of melted solder. This usually worked just fine. This seam leak is the only leak I know of, and it developed about a month ago. It was previously dry on my garage floor, not even any telltale antifreeze smell after parking it hot. Then.....this leak.

I would certainly backflush it. Years of crud, I'm sure, but it kept my TNT happy all summer.

So here's the "free" deal, once you make it. I make sure it's dry inside and the trans connections are drained/sealed. I take it to my local UPS store and have them box it up and ship it to you. I notify you of the combined packaging and shipping cost, and you pay me via PayPal. Your guess for this cost is....up to you and on you. It's shipping from the Jacksonville Florida area, FYI.

If nobody wants it by December 10, I'll fill it with water and use it for .380 pistol practice.

IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG

If it were me, I would keep that radiator. It has the correct number for your car on the top.

Yea, I know... It leaks... It can be fixed and someday, you may kick yourself for not keeping the original part.

Good advice. I did the same with my original radiator. Even though I'm way past the point of no return I still have all of the original parts of my car except the CB, exhaust, and normal wear parts.

Nahhhh.....I've already thought this through. Despite my mania for returning the underhood appearance from "Forty Years of Dumbass AutoZone Repairs, Mods and Zip-Tie Laziness" to "Dead Stock, June 1970", I'm not storing a bulky radiator for a "someday". I just want my engine to stay at 180*. To anybody but Galen Govier, that Rocky unit looks the part.

But if nobody wants it, I might consider sweating the top of the tank off, wrapping it in a towel and storing it under the rear seat....like treasure! BTW, my broadcast sheet was there in perfectly readable condition! And 25 percent of another one was under the driver's seat. Fortunately, they matched. :rofl:

Broadcast-As Found.JPG

My Hurst was beautifully restored (body and interior) by the second owner in 1999 and it is numbers matching, but lots of liberties were taken over the years with repair parts and dumb fixes, as correct simply wasn't as available to the PO as we have now with the click of a mouse. Or maybe he didn't care about the underhood, what with MP valve covers and air cleaner, ugly battery, etc. It looked great in parades.

Believe me, I know firsthand about original stuff. I brought my 71 Cuda back from the dead in 1979 (purchased in 78 as a beater), and then did a full "non-Bondo" resto in 1989 that took a few years to accumulate even the simple stuff, let alone decent used quarters and door skins. It was Carlisle and junkyards up and down the East Coast for me. There were no mouse clicks for valve covers and bolts, dash switches, a glovebox with correct screws, NO$ everything, repro everything....and it's WONDERFUL. Click. PayPal. Click. PayPal.

The day I sold it in 2000:
Selling the Cuda.jpg

If nobody that NEEDS it steps up for it by Dec 9th, Ill take it.

That's a gentlemanly position. Lesee who else pipes up with "greater need".

Unless you're in New Zealand. I can't deal with overseas shipping and sworn affidavits and SWAT teams storming my house.......

That's a gentlemanly position. Lesee who else pipes up with "greater need".

Unless you're in New Zealand. I can't deal with overseas shipping and sworn affidavits and SWAT teams storming my house.......
:rofl:Ya no ****! Lead, Asbestos or any of those well-performing compounds will draw the ire of NZ or OZ govt officials.
I am in da burbs of Chicago btw...

Ahhhh.......well performing compounds. Indeed! And Chi-town loves these compounds. :D

I was sending motorcycle parts and some raw materials (Tempur foam, cat converters, a few chunks of titanium and some other troublesome stuff) to a forum pal in South Africa. It was a huge PITA at my local post office...forms, declarations, beady-eyed interrogators. I was so glad when this guy had a minor mishap and got out of biking altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back