26" radiator.....wrong support?

swisherred

Reaction score
So i pulled my radiator today in preparation to remove the engine and found that the radiator is actually wider than the opening in the support....actually had new holes drilled for the passenger side bolts...will this affect anything? should i source another radiator or support or just not worry about it right now? its a new radiator btw.

67 newport custom

Yes the rad supports differed depending on engine/ options...let me guess your car has no A/C?

As long as you line up the core with the hole to maximize the cooling air through the rad, it should suffice in the interim.

The core support was made for the smaller rad. Mine was butchered at the factory for a 26". I have seen them not cut with 26" rad's in them. As a matter of fact, my brothers 66-30 had a 18" and he converted to a 26" with clutch fan with the few inches of rad hidden behind the support with no problems at all with cooling. Good Luck

My Polara with the Poly 318 has a 22" opening in the rad support..

Guess I won't worry about it too much then. A couple inches are tucked behind the support on the passenger side but it never got hot....ran fine that way.....and no a.c.

A non-A/C equipped 383 Chrysler without a heavy duty cooling or towing package would have come with a 22" radiator. Appears someone replaced yours with a 26".

Unlike the A/B/E cars,you can swap out the rad core support as a bolt on affair.
I upgraded from the 22 to 26 inch..
BARGE ON A BUDGET 037.jpg

BARGE ON A BUDGET 028.jpg

boab september 2017 002.JPG

boab september 2017 016.JPG

boab 2018 006.JPG

I liked the fact that you can pull the rad core out of the way for engine removal/install and leave the hood on.
IMG_4432.jpg

I liked the fact that you can pull the rad core out of the way for engine removal/install and leave the hood on.
View attachment 260768
See...now I was looking at that yesterday because I'm pulling my engine alone...that settles it...im pulling it out through the front and going to check the junkyard for another support. Anyone know which years and models will fit? I have a few newports, furys, possibly new yorker from 66 through 71 to choose from at the yard.

Last edited:
Wow! Great Work, cbarge!
boab-2018-006-jpg.jpg

Cool that you can pull the radiator support with bumper in place
img_4432-jpg.jpg

My front bumper is a little more of an obstacle. Valence and bumper will have to come off when I remove my radiator support & engine.
20180121_152615-jpg.jpg

Back