3.23s Swap

67valiant 100

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
picked up a 3.23 geared 742 case for $50 bucks at Carlisle :yaayy: this weekend to replace the constant overdrive like 2.76s in the convertible. Has anyone else done this swap? How'd they like the gear ratio change? Figured I can rebuild the 489 case thats coming out with some track friendly 4.10 spool for the other cars.

IMG_3917.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3918.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3921.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3919.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Going from 2.76 to 3.23 will result in a definite seat of the pants feel and increase in acceleration. If the goal is quicker pick up w/o going to low while still keeping the RPMs under control at hwy or interstate speed then it's a good swap.

Nice find...

Don't forget the speedo is going to be way off. You're going to need a new speedo txsm plastic gear to correct the speed.

Are the u-joints the same size between the 742 case and the 489? I know the spline count is different on the yoke

Are the u-joints the same size between the 742 case and the 489? I know the spline count is different on the yoke
It depends on the options/motor, I have two dodge chargers and the 383 car has smaller width yoke than the other car which has a 440. so while the drive shafts are the same length for the same gearbox and such they are not interchangeable.

Howdy NAPA has the U-joint for offset yokes the part number is NAPA 347 I've used this U-joint many times

I swapped a 3:23 sure grip into my 69 300, replacing the 2:92. Big improvement. Gas mileage suffered just a little. I found a speedo pinion gear on ebay, I think it is a 21 tooth "green". There are charts in the parts book you can reference for that. U joint was a direct fit.

The 3:23 has been my favorite all around ratio for several 440 auto cars I have owned, both B & C bodys.

Back