NOT MINE 300 Hurst On BAT (Portland, OR)

SeaFuse

Reaction score
This vehicle has VIN decal on door 6 months later than engine and fender dates. Is this normal with Hurst vehicles? Only explanation I can think of is the vehicle was shipped to Hurst as an Incomplete Vehicle and VIN decal not added until Hurst had completed the upfit. No idea if this type of thing happed with Mopars of the era.
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst

300 hurst.JPG

Last edited:
This vehicle has CIN decal on door 6 months later than engine and fender dates. Is this normal with Hurst vehicles? Only explanation I can think of is the vehicle was shipped to Hurst as an Incomplete Vehicle and VIN decal not added until Hurst had completed the upfit. No idea if this type of thing happed with Mopars of the era.
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst

View attachment 573484
Pretty much. Plenty of threads (and comments by @Trace 300 Hurst and @69CoronetRT ) on the 1/25 SBD for all Hursts.

This vehicle has VIN decal on door 6 months later than engine and fender dates. Is this normal with Hurst vehicles? Only explanation I can think of is the vehicle was shipped to Hurst as an Incomplete Vehicle and VIN decal not added until Hurst had completed the upfit. No idea if this type of thing happed with Mopars of the era.
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst

View attachment 573484
Some package cars (Superbirds, Hursts, 69 6bbl cars) have a common SPD but actual production was spread out over time. This is a good example of that concept.

Last edited:
Some package cars (Superbirds, Hursts, 69 6bbl cars) have a common SPD but actual production was spread out over time. This is a good example of that concep.
Yes, and we've all taken part in speculation as to why, but I don't think we've ever had a definitive answer from someone who knows what they're talking about. I wonder if Dave Wise or Galen has the 52 year old answer. Somebody has to know, and it's probably some simple, practical reason.

Yes, and we've all taken part in speculation as to why, but I don't think we've ever had a definitive answer from someone who knows what they're talking about. I wonder if Dave Wise or Galen has the 52 year old answer. Somebody has to know, and it's probably some simple, practical reason.
Thanks guys for the input. Bottom line, it's normal for Hurst VIN door decal date to be significantly different that other date codes on the vehicle. Wonder if same situation exits for '68 Hemi A-bodies.

If I see Geoff Stunkard or Tim Wellborn at Kissimmee, I'll ask them. I'm on good "chit-chat" terms with them. Both know a little bit about Mopar history. Just a bit. :thumbsup:

If either of them actually KNEW, I'm sure it would have been reported by now.

Also, I'm not sure why those two seem to be perceived as the infalible 'go to' guys when there are other people in the hobby equally as qualified to discuss topics but are not as well known. Especially when both of those two have had their 'misinformation' 'or 'misunderstandings as to facts' pointed out numerous times.

If either of them actually KNEW, I'm sure it would have been reported by now.

I agree that their both far from infallible, and the typos in the Wise Field Guide are appalling. But they might know the answer to something that nobody has ever asked them. I'm good friends with a protégé/associate of Glovier's and is a pal of Agostino. His knowledge is encyclopedic. He'll be at Mecum so I'll ask him, too.

I'm on a mission to find the answer!

Also, every Hurst broadcast sheet I've seen has 125 at the start of the Sequence Number. I guess that's not surprising, but it is curious.

Here's my BS and FT, just for the discussion's sake.

Broadcast Sheet Hurst.jpg

My Fender Tag.JPG

Also, every Hurst broadcast sheet I've seen has 125 at the start of the Sequence Number. I guess that's not surprising, but it is curious.

That's to be expected given that the SPD is the first part of the VON. It's standard procedure for all cars.

Yes, absolutely.

By curious, I was wondering if both items were produced on 125 and stored until needed, or were they produced just before the “real” build date in April May June. And also curious as to why the BS doesn’t have that real build date despite the useless date on the FT.

It’s all damn curious!

January 25 1970 was a Sunday. Did they schedule cars to be built on a Sunday?

Yes. One can find Sunday SPDs. Superbirds carry a B30 (November 30, 1969) SPD. That too was a Sunday.

But remember...the concepts of 'scheduled' and 'built' are unrelated.

"Scheduled" via the SPD is administrative in function and not related to production. Cars can be scheduled for any date but that does not mean a specific car or any cars were actually built on that date.

Scheduled production date is for parts logistics - the line does not stop - the proper parts have to be there to build the cars.
Schedule: noun
A plan for carrying out a process or procedure, giving lists of intended events and times

Really? You can barely restore any car for $65,000.
That's true and that's why you shouldn't drop 30k into a car that's only worth 15k in good condition ending up wondering why you don't get your money back.

I'm not a fan of the 300 Hurst so I'm not monitoring all the cars for sale but I thought in recent years good condition cars sold around 50k, so yes I'm surprised about 65k but maybe I'm just uneducated on these cars

The person that did the paint on the engine should be fined 65k.
:lol:

You would think that for $65k this would be a rotisserie restore... it isn't.

There were a lot of odd details that bothered me about this one. The red engine, goofy air breather details, valve covers, gas filter placement, no numbers radiator, modern coil wire wraps, chrome exhaust tips, coil over shocks, rusty leaking gas tank, over use of spatter paint in the trunk, misaligned headlight doors, polished rocker moldings, incorrect color on the wheels, wrapped steering wheel, bad over spray on the passenger door, and that’s just a quick glance at the pictures. The interior looks nice though.

I have to disagree with some of the BaT comments that this was “well bought”, and at $65k this thing should be close to number 1 condition. The new owner is a GM guy, so he might not know, but he will after some cursory research.

There were a lot of odd details that bothered me about this one. The red engine, goofy air breather details, valve covers, gas filter placement, no numbers radiator, modern coil wire wraps, chrome exhaust tips, coil over shocks, rusty leaking gas tank, over use of spatter paint in the trunk, misaligned headlight doors, polished rocker moldings, incorrect color on the wheels, wrapped steering wheel, bad over spray on the passenger door, and that’s just a quick glance at the pictures. The interior looks nice though.

I have to disagree with some of the BaT comments that this was “well bought”, and at $65k this thing should be close to number 1 condition. The new owner is a GM guy, so he might not know, but he will after some cursory research.
Yea it seems like BaT is the place to go for these 'Gems'. The guy that bought the black New Yorker that had a history of Sotheby's to many owners (Miami) that ended being sold on BaT wasn't all to happy and came here for advise.
Did he ever come back with a follow up on his car repair/problems? (ATC II)

(edit) It's nauseating the cheerleading that goes on in the comments over there, same pretty much around the whole 'net these days, don't say anything negative... I just had a row with this ahem 'seller' over in a FB M/C group with his 'look at what I got' post turned into a For Sale post. He went off the rails when I just mentioned that he was just trying to pass on his mistake in buying the rusted piece of junk for the dollars he paid. This was after several posts saying they wouldn't take the rusted hulk even for free... Funny at times seeing them go off but just boggles the mind.

Last edited:
Back