3000 stall converter

mag162

Reaction score
Whats the best place to get a 3000 for a 727 Transmission

Doesn't seem like a very good choice for a heavy station wagon if that is the intended use..............

A 3000 stall convertor is usually a race only application for the reason that it is designed to put a loping cam near the start of its peak torque range for a great out of the hole shot. On the street, that is going to translate to an over-reving engine that will get terrible gas mileage.

Dave

Stall speed is NOT generic. Depends upon how much power is in front of it. More power, higher stall speed. Which is why a normal Slant Six 225 converter might "stall" at 1500rpm behind the 225, but when it's behind a 383/335, would be closer to 2500rpm, for example.

AND, due to the heat build-up when "under power", don't forget to upgrade the trans cooler, too!

There's also "flash stall" where the engine temporarily "flashes" above the normal stall speed, on the staring line.

"Loosening" the torque converter can tend to take away the "tightness" which Chrysler TF torque converters were known for. Which also made them more fun and reassuring to drive, to me.

Rather than "big cam w/stall converter", it might be better to have a torque cam that will rpm (with heads and exhaust that will support that "rpm" part) with a normal 2000rpm stall converter, maybe even 2500rpm, will make a much better/enjoyable driving experience, to me.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

These guys built my 2800 stall. With modern cam grinds, the old "big cams have no bottom end" is greatly minimized. My car is an absolute hand grenade down low and pulls like a jet up top.

Home - A-1 Performance Trans & Converters

Works great and is unnoticeable on the street.

12.80's! That's awesome!
Faster than that now. 12.30's@ 110
Screenshot_20190910-143746_Gallery.jpg

Yeah sorry guys for not getting back in here. My wagon has a 440 HP motor, allegedly out of a that is punched 030 has a purple cam in it, and I think some mild head work not really sure as I received the engine built already. Anyway my issue is its mated to my stock 727 with the stock 1800 stall that came with my 383 2bbl wagon. The car has a 3.90 rear that I swapped in that in hindsight was a mistake. Should have dropped in something smaller for sure.

Yeah sorry guys for not getting back in here. My wagon has a 440 HP motor, allegedly out of a that is punched 030 has a purple cam in it, and I think some mild head work not really sure as I received the engine built already. Anyway my issue is its mated to my stock 727 with the stock 1800 stall that came with my 383 2bbl wagon. The car has a 3.90 rear that I swapped in that in hindsight was a mistake. Should have dropped in something smaller for sure.
What is the goal here? A 3000 stall convertor is going to make the low gear problem much worse, not better. Go on line and look up the specs for the purple cam. That will give you the torque range for the cam and its normal operating range. Usually with the purple cams that was idle to about 5500-5800 RPMs. Figure out what range you want to run at and select a convertor that is appropriate. Also keep in mind that the stock lower end was not designed to run much over 5000 RPMs without some significant modifications. Summit Racing has good technical support and they would be a good source to get this cam dialed in for your intended use. The 3.90 rear end for street use is too low, about 3.55 is about the most you can effectively run with an automatic for street use.

Dave

Yeah I made a mistake on the 3.90 for sure. But man its fun to drive. Sucks on the highway though, For now

Back