For Sale 300F $14995

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixtyf

Reaction score
Contact seller
It could be a stretch at this price, but old iron seems to be going up in value...

1960 Chrysler 300 F 2dr HT

300F 15K.jpg

Wow that is the car. It hurts me to think how much it would take to restore.

Sold already is the word, if so that's a good result for the seller and encouraging for our precious metal hobby...

It's a beautiful car, but I always hated the fake wheel on the trunk.
God knows what were they thinking ...

From the ad.

1960 Chrysler 300F 2 door hard top in nice restorable condition. Originally a California car that was under cover in Oregon for a number of years before I bought it. Thus, the exterior potmetal is amazingly mostly pit free and it has no rust through anywhere that I know. Car is complete including all under the hood rare crossram engine parts. Any missing side trim is in the trunk. Comes with 4 correct 300F hubcaps in excellent condition. Engine is free. Interior leather has been dyed black. Doors open/close good.. Original paint code is WW1 -- white, but it now has a black vinyl top. Odometer is 86869 which I have no reason to believe is incorrect. A great car for a relatively easy restoration.
VIN show contact info , body code is 842, trim code is 353.
Comes with good Illinois title in my name.
Note: Car is located in south-central Wisconsin near Wisconsin Dells about 15 miles off of I-90/94. Buyer must pick up car by October 22.

IMG_3411.JPG
IMG_3412.JPG
IMG_3413.JPG

From the ad.

Originally a California car that was under cover in Oregon for a number of years before I bought it.

Funny how he's say's that, but yet the license plate shows a "63" on it. I'd really like to know the real true story as that doesn't make any sense! i.e. red flag maybe?

It's a beautiful car, but I always hated the fake wheel on the trunk.
God knows what were they thinking ...

From what I can work out, the styling or design cues were taken from the 1953 Chrysler D'Elegance. The Chrysler/Ghia designed and built vehicle had a functioning electro-hydraulic spare wheel release system mounted in the trunk lid. Pictures from the 'Virgil Exner Visioneer' book.

IMG_3062.JPG
IMG_3061.JPG

Grey Lady Down.

I'll ask it again, why do people let their cars get into this condition?

Because they can, and do!
Doesn't it just kill you? I can't let something sit and rot like that. I sold my travel trailer after not using it for two years in a row. What a waste - sell a car you're doing nothing with to someone who will.

Funny how he's say's that, but yet the license plate shows a "63" on it. I'd really like to know the real true story as that doesn't make any sense! i.e. red flag maybe?
No red flag at all. California plates changed to the yellow on black in 1963. They were black on yellow for many years through 1962. All cars registered there from 1963 through late 1969 got the yellow on black tags.

California plates changed to the yellow on black in 1963. They were black on yellow for many years through 1962. All cars registered there from 1963 through late 1969 got the yellow on black tags.
What is your source for those dates? My '61 VW had a black plate, so did my Dad's '62 Chevy. As far as we knew they were always California cars.

OK, one more time. In 1963, all cars registered in California that had the earlier yellow background/black letter plates, had those REPLACED by the black background/yellow letter plates. So the year of car didn't matter a lick. In 1961, that VW had the yellow plate with black letters. In 1963, those plates were replaced by black background/yellow letter plates. Clear now???

In mid-1969, the car alpha sequence reached ZZZ-999, so in mid-1969, the car plates became blue background with yellow characters; with the numbers first (001-AAA through 999-ZZZ). Trucks changed in early 1971, as their numbering sequence was different (A00001 through Z99999). Those cars and trucks registered with the black/yellow plates KEPT them, as long as the car/truck remained continuously registered in CA. Same with the blue/yellow scheme and all others that followed.

Don't believe me, call Auto Club in CA. Or check many, many sources online. I knew this without having to check, 'cause it's a part of Stuff I Know.

Last edited:
OK, one more time. In 1963, all cars registered in California that had the earlier yellow background/black letter plates, had those REPLACED by the black background/yellow letter plates. So the year of car didn't matter a lick. In 1961, that VW had the yellow plate with black letters. In 1963, those plates were replaced by black background/yellow letter plates. Clear now???
No, it's not clear. If the yellow plates were replaced with the black one, why can we still find yellow plated cars today? What you're saying makes no sense.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?..._content_en/dmv/pubs/plates/licenseplthistory

You are correct, patrick66, in '63 all registered vehicles were issued black plates in CA. Snotty, it is possible some yellow plated cars weren't registered at the time of the change and were then registered at a later date after the initial sweep of new plates passed in '63. It is also possible, the cars you see today with yellow plates are done so through the YOM program through the DMV; https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...3/app1e_ca_license_plate_data.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back