Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
2017 but what the hell. 318 Dart vs Hellcat
Dart 11.66.......Second time trial Mopars at Milan 2017

Last edited:
Let er rip guys!!!

Weight is your enemy. TRX my ***, just another boated POS that thinks it's fast.
Here is another joke HP manifolds.

Weight is your enemy. TRX my ***, just another boated POS that thinks it's fast.

Worthless test.....

Constantly playing with the timing and making carb adjustments doesn't really accurately test the difference in exhaust.

What is TRX? I saw that video too 70bigblockdodge. HP's did miserably to the point I thought the test is flawed. The engine sounded terrible too. Especially compared to Nick's Garage test of a few years ago.

An older comparison ,headers vs HP's from 2018 with very different results.
Headers 436 hp 487 tq
Manifolds 413 466
12 minutes in for the results

What is TRX? I saw that video too 70bigblockdodge. HP's did miserably to the point I thought the test is flawed. The engine sounded terrible too. Especially compared to Nick's Garage test of a few years ago.

An older comparison ,headers vs HP's from 2018 with very different results.
Headers 436 hp 487 tq
Manifolds 413 466
12 minutes in for the results

TRX is that stupid truck that tips the scales at #5000+ pounds and has 700 horsepower. More answering your original 318 vs. Hellcat video, nevermind it's unimportant much like the truck.
I don't think the test is bad, it shows how quickly things go south with the stopped up exhaust manifolds. The cam in that engine was fairly stout. If you look at the plot lines at the end of the video the peak torque is in the same area ~4300 thats 1100 up from stock 440 magnum. To make more power you need to burn more fuel, to burn more fuel you need more air. High school physics.
You can put a RV cam in the engine and the torque gain would be less with headers but you are making less power so the air fits in the exhaust manifold.
Timing is @36 for all 9 test only adjusted after warm up pull. Idle air fuel mixture has little to do with WOT, went lean after manifolds are removed.
I understand that manifolds are convenient and fit but, they still suck hp or low perf not much gain and does not help with any other improvements you may make.

Yes I know and I would never argue [especially with you lol!!] the overall superiority of headers over HP's. I hear what you say sir and very much respect your opinion as you are far more experienced than I. I could argue the gap between the two types can be narrowed somewhat with cam profile and a few other things but facts are facts and headers will always win in power output over HP's.
In my case using HP's comes down to originality, the obvious ease of install and maintenance [none hopefully] and the last unproven and very important point ,my buttometer. If my buttometer is happy then I am happy. I then may go to Lebanon Valley dragway and see what my Buttometer is raving about hopefully lol. But in my case my car is a turn key ,stock looking go anywhere ,anytime highway and stop and go traffic cruiser with an occasional outing to the strip. Kinda like I would have liked it came from the factory. I think headers and HP's manifolds each have their place. But the results will reveal themselves next month when my stroked 440 505 is installed in the car!

Yes I know and I would never argue [especially with you lol!!] the overall superiority of headers over HP's. I hear what you say sir and very much respect your opinion as you are far more experienced than I. I could argue the gap between the two types can be narrowed somewhat with cam profile and a few other things but facts are facts and headers will always win in power output over HP's.
In my case using HP's comes down to originality, the obvious ease of install and maintenance [none hopefully] and the last unproven and very important point ,my buttometer. If my buttometer is happy then I am happy. I then may go to Lebanon Valley dragway and see what my Buttometer is raving about hopefully lol. But in my case my car is a turn key ,stock looking go anywhere ,anytime highway and stop and go traffic cruiser with an occasional outing to the strip. Kinda like I would have liked it came from the factory. I think headers and HP's manifolds each have their place. But the results will reveal themselves next month when my stroked 440 505 is installed in the car!
I get that, more for the may sayer that 15 hp is nothing to worry about. 50 ft pounds is noticable.
Are you getting it dynoed?
Did you ever get a et with current 440.
Would be cool to compare the difference in time slips between the two.

I now have an extra 440 laying around and sometime find something to put it in with headers.

I get that, more for the may sayer that 15 hp is nothing to worry about. 50 ft pounds is noticable.
Are you getting it dynoed?
Did you ever get a et with current 440.
Would be cool to compare the difference in time slips between the two.

Hadn't planned on dynoing it and never got an ET on the current engine. Current engine as judged by my buttometer is 16 + second 1/4 mile. Low compression all stock iron heads and very mild cam and rather tired. It was installed in the 1980's according to the previous owner. Still runs good with lots of vacuum.

Hadn't planned on dynoing it and never got an ET on the current engine. Current engine as judged by my buttometer is 16 + second 1/4 mile. Low compression all stock iron heads and very mild cam and rather tired. It was installed in the 1980's according to the previous owner. Still runs good with lots of vacuum.
I'd be tempted to make a few passes before you pull it. It's not necessary, but makes for some cool bench racing if nothing else.

Back