318 is SB, what is 383? SB or BB etc/69 Fury

What is biggest capacity small block or stroker kit options, your comments/recommendations etc, welcome.
Dodgy Dick small block big block is cheby speak,383 is an intermediate like a Ford 390-it's about the spacing between the cyl. bore's

350,361,383,400 are low deck big blocks. Commonly referred to a B blocks. The distributor is in the front
A tall block 383 was available in 60-61 in full size cars only.
413,426 Wedge heads & 440's are referred to as RB engines. RB means raised block. Distributor also in the front.
From a bolt on perspective the heads, carbs, exhaust manifolds, timing cover, water pump & housing, oil pump & oil pan will interchange from all of these engines. Valve covers as well except the early ones only had 4 bolts. Now that doesn't mean the parts will work correctly with your engine just that they are similar enough to bolt on.
273, 318 Wedge (smooth valve cover) , 340 & 360 are small blocks called LA or little A. Distributor in the back. Just like the big blocks many of the parts will bolt on from one engine to the next but doesn't mean it is correct for that engine.
The early 301, 315 & 318 engine are called Poly engine due to their cylinder heads. Or A engine. Also have the distributor in the back but the valve cover has ribs. Some parts from these engine are similar to the LA family & also the early Hemi's. That's a whole different story.

Dodgy Dick small block big block is cheby speak,383 is an intermediate like a Ford 390-it's about the spacing between the cyl. bore's

Modern-era factory sizes (273, 318, 340, 360) are called LA engines, (Late A series) generally "small block".

383, 400 are called B engines and share many parts (including heads and bore spacing) with the 413, (426 wedge, not hemi) and 440. Those engines are called RB, for Raised Block (B-series). B and RB are called Big Blocks by most.

G'day.

(C body Bob posted as I was writing. He is correct... I was just covering the stuff you're likely to come across, especially in Australia. There were some one-year and other uncommon variants)

As far as stroker kits. There usually are two. A 402 & 408. Ive seen as large as a 420 with a factory block & 470 with an EXPENSIVE aftermarket block and crankshaft. The 318 stroker kit is 390 cubes. The block is a bit thin to beat on it I think but on some other forms I've read where guys are doing just that & the little bugger holds up somehow. (6000 rpm shifts & 100/200 shot of NOS) Stroker cranks increase the side loading on the block.

Mancini Racing has Stroker kits for a 318 that will take it to a 390.

6-Bolt Crankshaft / 70cc I-Beam

stroker-kit-318-390-cubic-inch-0-984-pin-228.gif

The stroker 383 you are hearing about normally refers to a Chevy stroked 350 small block.

What's in your Dodge now? From the title of the thread I am guessing a 383. If you read Commando's assignment you should have your questions answered.

What's in your Dodge now? From the title of the thread I am guessing a 383. If you read Commando's assignment you should have your questions answered.
Being that his car is a pillared four door sedan it would have originally come out with a 318 2bbl when new there. All the pillarless four doors came with 383 2bbl engines.

Thanks Commando1, Sure is confusing there are so many options and conflicting info but your posted article helps. Perhaps I should ask what larger capacity engine bolts straight in where 318 w/- 727 currently sits ?

Thanks Commando1, Sure is confusing there are so many options and conflicting info but your posted article helps. Perhaps I should ask what larger capacity engine bolts straight in where 318 w/- 727 currently sits ?
Any period correct V8 engine with 727 will bolt right in other than the Hemi 426.

But SB and BB engine transmissions has differend bellhousing. So small block 727 dont bolt to BB.

I am asking what is biggest capacity small block engine/s that will bolt straight into my 69 Fury AKA Aussie Dodge to replace 318 with 727 auto?

I am asking what is biggest capacity small block engine/s that will bolt straight into my 69 Fury AKA Aussie Dodge to replace 318 with 727 auto?
Using the 318's trans., a 340. You could use a 360, but I think you would have to change the torque converter.

Back