318 or 383?

All we have on this thread is a pic of the engine, please share.

Dave

upload_2019-3-8_21-8-21.jpeg
I saw this at the bottom of the thread.

It’s tough to tell with this pic but I am looking at the drivers door trim. There are spears on it which I think were specific to the Sport Fury. I could possibly be wrong maybe someone else can chime in.

I think that is Clay's car? Note hood ornament with white background on his icon.
Post is a car with black firewall.

Dave

haha you guys are crackin me up tonite… So I found a semi local parts car. 66 Sport Fury Convertible in pretty rough shape and the owner is saying it's a 318 according to the vin. here's a couple more pics. Flat tires, no carb, floors rusted thru, seats in bad shape, gauges mounted in the dash, etc. Then they took down some of the less flattering pics, so long story short I've made an offer and I'm waiting them out! There's a few parts I could deff use from this car and if you look closely, there's damage/rust/rot from one end to the other!

Red.jpg

Red3.jpg

Red2.jpg

Red4.jpg

definitely my mistake that’s why I had a hard time with you parting it out. Let us know if you get the red one.

I looked at a A-318 at Streetside Classics this afternoon. Valve cover retention was via TWO through-bolts/seal washers per cover, at the lower side ends. On the rh side, would have to loosen the generator to get it out of the way. I'd forgotten about those! A '59 Savoy 318.

CBODY67

Always look at the distributor. If it's on the front it's a big block: 350, 361, 383, 400, 413, 426 wedge, 426 hemi, or a 440.

If it's on the rear it's a small block: 273, 318, 340, or a 360. Could also be a block that preceded the LA series of motors.

Once that simple indicator is established it's just a matter of learning which one of the family members you have. The task is a little easier when dealing with the RBs as opposed to the Bs, as the former have a "slab" (can't think of the correct term" that is right in front of the distributor that does not exist on the B motors. On that slab the engine size is stamped.

I agree with JCT - 383.
After I wrote this I realized I forgot something: early 383s, first two years, were RBs. Toss that one in to further confuse someone!

After I wrote this I realized I forgot something: early 383s, first two years, were RBs. Toss that one in to further confuse someone!

Correct, but not likely to be in this car due to the issue of retrofitting an engine set up for Powerflite/Iron TorqueFlight. RB 383, '59-60 mostly in Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga cars. Distinguished by 4.031" Bore with 3.75" stroke. Same stroke as the 413.

Story told years ago was that the RB 383 was used in the Chrysler's because they could not produce enough of the "BB" 383 engines available to satisfy the demand.

Dave

Looks like quite a few good parts in that parts car. Steering wheel not all cracked up, maybe a nice dash pad, console might be good, bunch of trim, etc. I would think the undercarriage is in not so great of shape, with the car sitting on the ground.

Is that a Commando V8 emblem on the front fender? Either someone added the emblem when the 383 went in (318 cars didn't get them) or the owner is not interpreting the VIN correctly. Hope you get the car, Mr. Harrison.
Untitled.jpg

Back