361 B Block engine from 59 Desoto

VAN HELSING

Reaction score

Hi all,

I've just bought this 361 B block down here in Australia, seller said it came from a 59 Desoto, not an overly common engine here compared to Chevy's and Ford V8's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLYMOUTH-DO...yqNdRkA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_204wt_1362

Won't get it home yet for about 5 weeks ..........

I really only wanted the big block bellhousing/ torque convertor and starter but seller wouldn't separate.

I've got a 413 here to play with ( another hard to find engine down here ) so didn't really want the 361 but I'll keep it none the less, one cannot have too many engines in ones shed I reckon !!!

What sort of dollars would something like this 361 in similar condition be asked over there ?

I guess it would be called a core engine there ? might be a runner with a clean/freshen up ??

Just interested that's all..........

Terry.

Taking into concideration the limited application/appeal of that engine and the unknown condition it might be worth $200.00 +/-.

Taking into concideration the limited application/appeal of that engine and the unknown condition it might be worth $200.00 +/-.

Thanks Will,

I suppose if I found one in the US for $200 or thereabouts, by the time I got it trucked to a port and into a container, then paid for shipping and import charges and all the other fees our money grubbing government here want then I guess what I paid here would work out cheaper than importing one.

All of those here go to the junk yard.
400's and 440's are falling out of the sky here.
Problem: They have ALL gone to the junkyard.
They're rare now and they still are worthless.
Best argument against the supply/demand theory that I have rver heard.

Thanks Will,

I suppose if I found one in the US for $200 or thereabouts, by the time I got it trucked to a port and into a container, then paid for shipping and import charges and all the other fees our money grubbing government here want then I guess what I paid here would work out cheaper than importing one.

Terry, I based that value on the engine alone. You mentioned that you were only interested in the bell housing and other parts you got. those parts would add to the total value.
That bell housing is the "ace in the hole". It will adapt the early iron case torqueflight or powerflight trans to a late "B" engine.

Terry, I based that value on the engine alone. You mentioned that you were only interested in the bell housing and other parts you got. those parts would add to the total value.
That bell housing is the "ace in the hole". It will adapt the early iron case torqueflight or powerflight trans to a late "B" engine.

Thanks Will,

Yep, the bellhousing and converter sealed the deal for me, at the time I was thinking I didn't really need another engine but I''m glad now I bought the lot. Sellers says the 361 looks to have had an early rebuild, has no bore lip in it either. Maybe it's just a low mile engine and still has the hone marks in the bore, seen a lot of lower mileage original bore engines still showing hone marks in my time.

I also have a '63 ( cast date 12/10/62 ) incomplete 413 here so I'm hoping that bellhousing off the 361 will fit the 413 RB as well.

The 413 is an 8 bolt crank but must have come from a manual trans as it has a pilot bushing in the end of the flange and has a threaded flange as well.

Not 100% sure I will be able to fit the 8 bolt studs on the TC on to the threaded flange as yet ?

All of those here go to the junk yard.
400's and 440's are falling out of the sky here.
Problem: They have ALL gone to the junkyard.
They're rare now and they still are worthless.
Best argument against the supply/demand theory that I have rver heard.

Yep, same thing here...... there are local production various make rare engines that commanded good prices in the '70's and '80's here that are even rarer now but not pulling the prices of 30 years ago.......... like you said, supply versus demand stuff I guess................

Back