383 Intake Manifold Insulation

1966-300

Reaction score
Hi guys me again. Still rebuilding my 383 and so far so good. Block and heads at the machine shop now going .30 over, and putting in a Comp Cam. My question is this. While tearing down the motor there was some insulation material under the intake manifold between it and the valey pan gasket, it looks as if it was factory installed. I have been told it is there to prevent the fuel from getting too hot vaporizing from the carb. Has anyone else seen this during a rebuild, and where may one get some of this insulation?

yes there was insulation between the valley pan and the intake manifold. It was normally a yellow glass insulation with an aluminum side up. There was a thin flat plate at the front held down and protecting the insulation mat from being damaged or blown out by the fan.

I found when removing this that it's usually pretty gross lol either full of oil or water or both... usually a nice mess at any rate

y
I found when removing this that it's usually pretty gross lol either full of oil or water or both... usually a nice mess at any rate
For sure. LOL

Home Depot has small mats of insulation which almost duplicates it.
Plus a roll of foil faced tape from the Plumbing Dept. Almost NOS. LOL

Last edited:
Yes Gross it was, filled with oil and all manners of gunk. I was going to go the home improvement route with some foil backed insulation but was not sure if there was a more lets say, traditional automotive part supplier route. That and I have the shop manual, and an engine rebuild book specifically for the 383 but no mention of this alien material. Thanks for the confirmation.

Guys the internet is a wonderfull thing. I typed in Intake Manifold Insulation and viola, a link came up specifically for Mopar, not only do they have the insulation but they have a bunch of the original stickers for anti freeze, battery etc. I have been looking for these on e bay and they want to rape you for them If you already had this link I appologize for the redundancy but if not for the next guy looking check this out.

http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Manifold_Insulation.htm

Threw mine away long ago when doing a rebuild (what is this mess?). When I found it was factory, I cut some fiberglass and slipped it under the intake. I doubt it was to protect the fuel from getting hot since the exhaust cross-over does that (to keep from icing). Vice-versa, I read it is to keep the heat from the bottom of the intake (cross-over) from heating the valley pan hot and causing splashed oil from gunking on the bottom of the valley pan.

25 bux for that??
Too much money,man.
Go up in your attic,cut a piece,then grab some foil from the kitchen cupboards,wrap it up and stuff it.
Once you paint the engine,nobody would care to notice any difference.
DSC01757.jpg

Last edited:
My valley pan had the insulation and the valley area was packed with acorns and nesting material. It's all gone now and I installed an Eddie mainifold and carb.

manifold insulation

I use the insulation wrapped in foil method too.
For whatever reason it's there the engineers deemed it necessary so thats good enough for me.

3 questions guaranteed to be brought up in perpetuity:

1. Do I need an oil slinger?
2. Do I need an oil pan baffle.
3. Do I need the valley pan insulation

Back