383 intake manifold

GJS

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Trying to install my intake manifold the other day I ran into bolt alignment issues.
I simply can't remember how I did my 440 but I'm using the valley pan and gaskets on either side. Could this extra material be messing up my bolt alignment?
Any suggestions would rule. Like I said, I don't remember using gaskets on my 440 but it was closing in of 20 years ago so...

I've seen that happen, even happened to me once. The gaskets do mess with you and make alignment hard. Good Luck

I've seen that happen, even happened to me once. The gaskets do mess with you and make alignment hard. Good Luck

+2 :/

its that small of a tolerance around those parts :/

try to get every bolt threaded a thread worth or two, and follow the tighten sequence, and 1/4 turn that baby on there the slow way.

i put a weiand 8008 on there and love it - whaddidyaget ?

try not to die -

- saylor

+2 :/

its that small of a tolerance around those parts :/

try to get every bolt threaded a thread worth or two, and follow the tighten sequence, and 1/4 turn that baby on there the slow way.

i put a weiand 8008 on there and love it - whaddidyaget ?

try not to die -

- saylor
It's just the stock cast 4bbl intake. I had to tear her down for a timing chain and a few other bits.
I tried going that route but was running into near cross threading and I definately don't want to do that! I'll muck about a little bit more tomorrow and if I can't get it, I'll just go with silicon and the valley pan.

Hey y'all,

Trying to install my intake manifold the other day I ran into bolt alignment issues.
I simply can't remember how I did my 440 but I'm using the valley pan and gaskets on either side. Could this extra material be messing up my bolt alignment?
Any suggestions would rule. Like I said, I don't remember using gaskets on my 440 but it was closing in of 20 years ago so...
Silicon is not the way to go because silicon is not inert to oil. It breaks down in the presence of oil and one major complaint regarding Mopar intakes is oil creeping pass the turkey pan from manifold vacuum. " The Right Stuff" by Permatex is the only way to go fro a sealant. It's oil and fuel inert and cures without the presence of air which is quite unlike silicon. This stuff is good to go in five minutes once the mating surfaces are closed. Leave out the gaskets all together and use this sealant.

Silicon is not the way to go because silicon is not inert to oil. It breaks down in the presence of oil and one major complaint regarding Mopar intakes is oil creeping pass the turkey pan from manifold vacuum. " The Right Stuff" by Permatex is the only way to go fro a sealant. It's oil and fuel inert and cures without the presence of air which is quite unlike silicon. This stuff is good to go in five minutes once the mating surfaces are closed. Leave out the gaskets all together and use this sealant.
Ah ha. Don't believe they had this product when I built my last engine. Good stuff, man. Thanks!

The paper gaskets were used on the 440 6bbl cars, which had an aluminum intake manifold. That was the original application for them.

The "sealer" I use is the black, somewhat thick, high heat silicone. I put it in the grooves of the intake (steel valley pan or embossed paper) for better sealing. Let it cure overnight, then install.

When I changed from the stock cast iron 4bbl intake on my '67 383, I used the original bolts with the Edelbrock Torker intake. All went well, until the very front bolt on the driver's side. It would NOT start. Checked the bolt for clean threads, and anything else I could think of. It would not start and seemed to be crooked. Finally, I tried another bolt in that hole and it went right in. This was in the garage and after work. I got a new bolt of the correct length and it fell into place and tightened right up! NOT sure why it was different, but something was. That was the ONLY bolt hole that was a problem.

I used the center-to-outside circle to do sequential torque application. If all other bolt holes line up, why should ONE of the last ones not line up?

I though I might have an intake leak, so I later installed a new valley pan with the paper 6bbl gaskets. Black, thick-bodied silicone in the embossed grooves, then the paper gaskets. When together, it sounded better, but no real improvement in driveability. BUT I knew it was all sealed "tight" and that accounted for something.

CBODY67

Last edited:
Back