383 motor mounts -- help!

cld

Reaction score
What's a good economical (but reliable) source for 383 engine mounts for '68 Fury? Mine are all dry rotted to hell and the motor's sitting low, starting to rub the oil pan on the chassis! I have heard Schumacher is what you want ideally but they're $200-some a pair. I don't want something super-cheap that'll break as soon as I floor it. Do I just need to suck it up and get the Schumachers?

I have had great success with napa's motor mounts. Its one of the few thing I will purchase there. Stay away from o'reilly, auto-zone and advanced auto's. They are usually the anchor brand. I went through them in 6 months. Napa's have gone 4-5 years. There about 20 bucks a piece

What's a good economical (but reliable) source for 383 engine mounts for '68 Fury? Mine are all dry rotted to hell and the motor's sitting low, starting to rub the oil pan on the chassis! I have heard Schumacher is what you want ideally but they're $200-some a pair. I don't want something super-cheap that'll break as soon as I floor it. Do I just need to suck it up and get the Schumachers?

In an answer....... YES!! Suck it up and get the Schumachers.... You'll never change them again

Yes, get the Schumachers. I've got them and I am very pleased with them. They are pricey but worth the extra green.....they are tough.

$20 for NAPA brand that'll get you 4 or 5 years of normal use? I'd go that route in a C body cruiser for a couple of reasons.
A. I don't mind working on my cars every once in a while and the occasional motor mount isn't a huge project.
B. At four years a pair it'll be 40 years before you spent as much as you would on the schumachers.

I have put them through some full throttle runs with my built 440. They hold up great. There the best bang for the buck that I have found.

$20 for NAPA brand that'll get you 4 or 5 years of normal use? I'd go that route in a C body cruiser for a couple of reasons.
A. I don't mind working on my cars every once in a while and the occasional motor mount isn't a huge project.
B. At four years a pair it'll be 40 years before you spent as much as you would on the schumachers.

Unless you have a 500 hp motor and doing neutral drops on a regular basis the NAPA/APP/AZ mounts will last longer than you will.

My built 360 in my truck destroyed Anchor branded mounts like there's no tomorrow. It would eat them every 6 months. I can only imagine what the 440 would do to them. It also had a hankering for the anchor brand transmission mounts. Now I run the napa branded ones for engine, and the chrysler trans mounts. No more problems. With motor mounts you really get what you pay for. The napa's are 1 year warranty. The anchor are lifetime. I would rather be out enjoying my cars then jacking up the engine every 6 months to change out the mounts.

Unless you have a 500 hp motor and doing neutral drops on a regular basis the NAPA/APP/AZ mounts will last longer than you will.

To the neutral drop question. I have never done that. Just some full throttle runs with both mounts. The anchor's are so poorly made a group of preschoolers with craft glue could build them better. They literally come apart in 2 pieces. You are better off leaving in the 40 year old mounts than wasting time with the cheap ones.

Yes, get the Schumachers. I've got them and I am very pleased with them. They are pricey but worth the extra green.....they are tough.

Pricey!!! But you will never have to change them again. Price vs spending more time finding another original and paying the price....PRICELESS.

I handled a bunch of standard brand motor mounts (Napa, Egay source) before putting the shumies on. Compared to the shumies you can almost squeeze and disfigure them biscuits with one hand. I'd say the shumies are the next best thing to solid motor mounts, world of difference between the loc and standard rubber...flexes too much.

So how hard is it to replace motor mounts? Is it as easy as

Removing the fan shroud
Unbolting the mounts
Unbolting the trans mount
Jack up the engine a few inches
Replace Mounts

and then lower and reverse process? Are there typically any gotcha's? I'm asking because I'm thinking of adding this to my upcoming weekend thrash on my Imperial.

Back