383 question

67sportfuryIII

Reaction score
can any one identify this boss stamp? It casting number says it’s a 1964 383 block but the boss is gone and I’m not sure what this other stamp is.

B7B38705-310F-4376-A4F9-787FD9C97A54.jpeg

If it is a factory replacement motor, it should have a red tag riveted to the side of the block, the "New Short Motor" tag. Could also be a rebuilt motor, some rebuilders stamp an invoice or job number on the boss to identify their work for warranty purposes.

Dave

Here's a stamping on one of my 383 cores. I wonder if it's a 383 (361?) or yes a warranty block? Everyone I've seen has the "383" stamping. But I'm not an expert by any stretch.....

20181008_105542.jpg

That’s what I thought but it looks like the cubic inches number is gone and was replaced with some random number?
In the casting number on the side of the block by the freeze plugs. One side has the casting date, time, am or pm the other side has a big long casting number with the cubic inches included. CAST in not stamped.
My guess is that a machine shop accustomed to doing bigblock Chevrolet engines decked your engine then stamped the last 5 of the VIN in that pad........
Or if it has the replacement/warranty tag attached to the pass side down low.

In the casting number on the side of the block by the freeze plugs. One side has the casting date, time, am or pm the other side has a big long casting number with the cubic inches included. CAST in not stamped.
My guess is that a machine shop accustomed to doing bigblock Chevrolet engines decked your engine then stamped the last 5 of the VIN in that pad........
Or if it has the replacement/warranty tag attached to the pass side down low.
2128854-5 is what is cast on both sides of the block no displacement numbers. No replacement tag anywhere. You are prob right that it was decked down at some time. Thanks for the help with the good information!

2128854-5 is what is cast on both sides of the block no displacement numbers. No replacement tag anywhere. You are prob right that it was decked down at some time. Thanks for the help with the good information!

That casting number for 1964 (2128854) could be either a 361 or a 383. They both used the same casting number. Improvements in casting techniques allowed the 361 block to be over-bored to 383. The build tag on the car should tell you which engine the car was produced with.

Dave

Might it be advisable, considering the core will be rebuilt, to remove a cyl head and measure the bore diameter?

CBODY67

4.25 is a 383 in a low deck like you have. 361 shared the oddball bore with 413, 4.135 if memory serves me right.

Back