383 timing set question

GJS

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Was installing my new timing set on my 383 and according to my FSM and the instructions that came with the set, my timing marks should be at 6 o'clock (cam) and 12 o'clock (crank).
This isn't the case, I'm clearly at TDC #1 as the rockers are totally unloaded. .. further, the crank and cam are exactly where I left them... ain't no way the cam rotated 180 degrees on its own.
What do you all think? I rolled it over and there was no interference..

Thanks everyone and best Memorial Day to you all.

A lot of the newer timing sets have as many as three key ways on the crank gear. Check the gear installation instructions to see which of the key ways to use as these will not necessarily be the same as the FSM unless it is a Mopar gear set.

Also note that some of the imported gear sets will have two sets of timing marks on the crank gear, one on the front and one on the reverse of the crank gear and of course, they are 180 degrees apart! Usually these sets also have multiple key ways.

Do not know what their logic is, must be available for other applications. Either that or they have folks who can't read trying to get it right one way or the other in the most frustrating manner possible.

The multiable key ways are to advance or retard the cam. Usually in 2 degrees. Some of the racing sets have as many as 9. Marks opposite is a new one for me. I would go with the instructions on the timing set if it's correct for the application

The instructions say "0" for factory timing up, which is what I have . The cam marking is also up, in the 12 o'clock position. Cylinder 1 is at top dead center and both valves are closed. I can't imagine that this is wrong as the engine was disassembled at TDC #1, the dist. Drive is pointed to the #1 terminal on the dist.

Marks opposite was on a set from Brazil, I sent it back and bought a Mopar set. Pretty much every Mopar V-8 aligns at 6 and 12 o'clock which makes it simple. I would go with a USA made set to Mopar specs and be done with it.

Dave

Your engine should run the way it is, I am curious, where was this set made?

Well, normally that is a good brand. If you are sure it is properly lined up, go ahead and fire it up. I can't explain as to why you marks are 180 degrees off.

Dave

Ok, this kind of sucks due to the fact that you can't see the crank sprocket marking but it's in the 12 o'clock position. The cam sprocket is likewise in the 12 o'clock position.

I'm certain that I'm at TDC compression stroke on cylinder 1 as both rockers are unloaded on that cylinder and the dist drive, which was never removed, is pointed at the terminal for cylinder #1.

Every bit of literature I've read says that the cam timing mark should be at 6 o'clock and the crank mark at 12 o'clock... right next to each other..

There's no way the cam rotated out 180 degrees on its own accord and nothing has been purposefully moved in the rotating assembly since year down.

I rolled the whole assembly around with the set installed as is and there is not interference... not sure what I'm missing.
IMG_2603.JPG

I have seen this with smallblock chevy's, when the dot's are pointing at each other the cam dot at 6 o'clock and crank at 12 o'clock the #6 cyl is at TDC. With the cam dot is at 12 o'clock and the crank at 12 o'clock #1 is at TDC. It doesn't matter as long as when you put the dist in You align your rotor with your #1 terminal and have #1 at TDC.

Here is another idea, take your old timing gears and hold them up to the ones you have mounted. See if the index pin on the upper is in the right place, is the timing mark in the same place? Next check the key slot and mark on the lower gear, do they mate up?

If not, you have the wrong gears for this application or they are defective.

Dave

Here is another idea, take your old timing gears and hold them up to the ones you have mounted. See if the index pin on the upper is in the right place, is the timing mark in the same place? Next check the key slot and mark on the lower gear, do they mate up?

If not, you have the wrong gears for this application or they are defective.

Dave
One of the first things I tried. The index pin hasn't moved.

The old set is still installed right? Forget about where #1 cyl is right now. Roll the motor over until the marks line up at 6 and 12 o'clock, remove the old set, install the new set, then bring #1 up to TDC and install the dist, finish the assy and enjoy.

Back