383 to 413 engine swap. 65 Monaco

65--880

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just found a 413 that I want to replace my 383 with in my 65 monaco. I have a couple questions. Will the 383 oil pan fit the 413? Will the distrubitor fit the 413?
Also are the motor mounts going to be the same. This is my first Mopar so please excuse the rudimentary questions. Thanks, Scott

The oil pan will work. Make sure you use the pick-up that goes with the pan. The distributor will not work. The 413 is a taller block than the 383. The motor mounts should work too. 413's are RB engines and 383's are B engines. The intake manifolds are also different.

As you might know, the 413 is the "Raised deck" version of the Chrysler B engine family, with that model year of 383 being the "low deck" or normal "B" motor. Which can affect the exhaust system pipes as they attach to their respective exhaust manifolds, being that the actual attachment points will be higher and a bit farther outboard than for the 383 that is now in there.

I suspect the 383 oil pan will fit the 413, BUT the distributors will not interchange due to the RB motors having a longer shaft on them.

I understand the allure of a larger engine, but in this case, you're only gaining 30 cubic inches with a bit longer stroke and a bit more torque. All things considered, you can get close to the same power increases with some component changes on the 383 with a lot less trouble, it seems to me.

The "hot set-up" was the 426-W Street Wedge motor. Basically the same rated horsepower as the later 440/365 motor of 1966.

You can download the 1965 Chrysler Parts Book at www.mymopar.com, as well as some service manual information, too. All free downloads. Also www.jholst.net for 1955-65 Chrysler information related to Chrysler Letter Cars, but also other information on normal C-body Chrysler products.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The oil pan will work. Make sure you use the pick-up that goes with the pan. The distributor will not work. The 413 is a taller block than the 383. The motor mounts should work too. 413's are RB engines and 383's are B engines. The intake manifolds are also different.
Thank you very much Sir

As you might know, the 413 is the "Raised deck" version of the Chrysler B engine family, with that model year of 383 being the "low deck" or normal "B" motor. Which can affect the exhaust system pipes as they attach to their respective exhaust manifolds, being that the actual attachment points will be higher and a bit farther outboard than for the 383 that is now in there.

I suspect the 383 oil pan will fit the 413, BUT the distributors will not interchange due to the RB motors having a longer shaft on them.

I understand the allure of a larger engine, but in this case, you're only gaining 30 cubic inches with a bit longer stroke and a bit more torque. All things considered, you can get close to the same power increases with some component changes on the 383 with a lot less trouble, it seems to me.

The "hot set-up" was the 426-W Street Wedge motor. Basically the same rated horsepower as the later 440/365 motor of 1966.

You can download the 1965 Chrysler Parts Book at www.mymopar.com, as well as some service manual information, too. All free downloads. Also www.jholst.net for 1955-65 Chrysler information related to Chrysler Letter Cars, but also other information on normal C-body Chrysler products.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thank you. I shure do appreciate your time. I bought the engine before doing enough research. I may just sell it and keep the 383. It runs great. The original 383 was a 4 barrel engine. from what the seller told me the timimg chain broke and grenaded the engine in the process. The one in there now is a 2 barrel out of a 67 Newport. I have a 4 barrel intake and carb for it. The car is completly rust free and well worth spending money on. Right now the brakes are not working. I may save the money I was going to use rebuilding the 413 for a brake conversion kit. The seats need to be re-done and the center console needs to be re-carpeted as well. Other than that the car is pretty nice.
Thanks again for your time

If you have the ability to swap engines yourself, and if you can give teh 413 a deep evaluation (oil pressure, compression test, leakdown test) before making any moves, and are wanting the extra power, I would do the swap. If the 413 needs rebuilding, it would be best to avoid it as getting *good* new pistons requires $$$ custom pistons. Last I knew, the only pistons available for a 413 would give you an ~8:1 engine - not ideal. You would be better off buying/building a 440 instead - and you'd need a particular block due to teh unusual driverside motormount used in 65 C-bodies.

Most 'plain' 413s would be rated for 340 hp/470 ft-lbs, the 383 you have is at 270-290 hp/425 ft-lbs depending on its year. You can install the 4-barrel carb but you're not going to gain much until you get into a cam/lifters/springs swap. And a 2-barrel engine will have lower compression, which doesn't help on boosting hp. (and then you get into the 'which cam should I choose' hysteria, also)

As mentioned, the exhaust will need to be addressed - If you have a Y-pipe it might be a matter of welding an extension under the oilpan (at best) or if you already have dual exhaust without an 'H' section the exh might fit OK.

If the 413 is healthy, and you can perform the swap yourself (meaning, you don't need to pay to have it done) I would absolutely put the 413 in. 1965 was the last year for passenger-car 413s so it would add a little mystique to your car also.

I have a pair of 65 Monacos - a 383-4 and a 413-4. Both pretty much stock, with 3.23s. They run the same, in fact the 383 car actually "feels" a little quicker.
So, if your expecting Max Wedge results from a stock 65 413, you will be disappointed. By 65, the 413 was used a the standard engine in the New Yorker and Imperial (and truck engines up thru at least the late 60s). Almost nothing in common with the fire-breathers of two years earlier.
My thoughts FWIW, would be to keep the 383, and build it up to the 383-4 specs. It'll be cheaper (413 internals are hard to find and expensive), and results are going to be about the same . . .
Good Luck! They're great cars . . .

Hey guys, I just found a 413 that I want to replace my 383 with in my 65 monaco. I have a couple questions. Will the 383 oil pan fit the 413? Will the distrubitor fit the 413?
Also are the motor mounts going to be the same. This is my first Mopar so please excuse the rudimentary questions. Thanks, Scott
1965 motor mounts are one year only.
What year is the 413? If it is a 1965 engine it will bolt right in.
Otherwise you may have to fabricate new mounts since Schumacher's mounts are no longer available.

In '67, the 383 2bbl had the same 256/260 cam as the 4bbl engines, so the only real difference would be the compression ratio. 9.2 for the 2bbl and 10.0 for the 4bbl. The '65 383 4bbl had the 252/252 degree cam, as I recall, and the 383 4bbls had an earlier cam with similar specs as the 256/260 cam, but it seems that the later cam makes more power.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thank you. I shure do appreciate your time. I bought the engine before doing enough research. I may just sell it and keep the 383. It runs great. The original 383 was a 4 barrel engine. from what the seller told me the timimg chain broke and grenaded the engine in the process. The one in there now is a 2 barrel out of a 67 Newport. I have a 4 barrel intake and carb for it. The car is completly rust free and well worth spending money on. Right now the brakes are not working. I may save the money I was going to use rebuilding the 413 for a brake conversion kit. The seats need to be re-done and the center console needs to be re-carpeted as well. Other than that the car is pretty nice.
Thanks again for your time
I have heard that the 413 heads leave a lot to be desired in flow characteristics.
If you do swap, you may want to go with later 383 or 440 heads, like 906 or 452.

@413 is VERY knowledgeable and can comment further.

I would like to hear @413 input as well.

The -516 closed-chamber heads that would be on a 67 383 (and most 64-67 bigblocks) have smaller valves and ports compared to the -906 heads that would be found on a 68-and-newer bigblock. The -516 heads were used on the 360hp 413hp and the 365hp 440 TNT of 1966 - so on paper, at least, they have some capability. I *think* they were also used on the 300J but with a 1.74 exhaust valve - and the shortram version of those was 390hp. 63-older heads have bolt-on rockershaft stands, I don't have any other familiarity with them nor what heads were used on the 413s used in Letter cars - but those are generally 375-390 hp depending on the crossrams and the dual-quad intake.

Older 383 2-barrel with -516 heads would be rated at 270hp, later versions with -906 would be rated at 290.
383 2-barrel engines almost always have lower CR than 4-barrel engines.

1st question - was the -906 head the sole reason for 20hp increase in the 383 2-barrel engine? (if so, then how does the larger cam and -906 heads of a 68 TNT account for only a 10hp increase over a '66 TNT???)

2nd question - as @jollyjoker mentioned, his 383-4 and 413 perform very similarly (in spite of a 15hp/45 ft-lb difference). So, can a 383 2-barrel with lower compression then compare to a 383-4 by merely adding a 4-barrel? If so, then it would compare to a 413. On paper it would seem not possible -- but we don't drive on paper.

If you have the ability to swap engines yourself, and if you can give teh 413 a deep evaluation (oil pressure, compression test, leakdown test) before making any moves, and are wanting the extra power, I would do the swap. If the 413 needs rebuilding, it would be best to avoid it as getting *good* new pistons requires $$$ custom pistons. Last I knew, the only pistons available for a 413 would give you an ~8:1 engine - not ideal. You would be better off buying/building a 440 instead - and you'd need a particular block due to teh unusual driverside motormount used in 65 C-bodies.

Most 'plain' 413s would be rated for 340 hp/470 ft-lbs, the 383 you have is at 270-290 hp/425 ft-lbs depending on its year. You can install the 4-barrel carb but you're not going to gain much until you get into a cam/lifters/springs swap. And a 2-barrel engine will have lower compression, which doesn't help on boosting hp. (and then you get into the 'which cam should I choose' hysteria, also)

As mentioned, the exhaust will need to be addressed - If you have a Y-pipe it might be a matter of welding an extension under the oilpan (at best) or if you already have dual exhaust without an 'H' section the exh might fit OK.

If the 413 is healthy, and you can perform the swap yourself (meaning, you don't need to pay to have it done) I would absolutely put the 413 in. 1965 was the last year for passenger-car 413s so it would add a little mystique to your car also.
Thank you very much. I forgot to mention the 413 is stamped HP. I thought it meant Horse Power. After reading a little it suposivly means it came out of a 300 letter car that came with solid lifters and dual quads. I hope Im not wrong on that. It is dated 11/1962. The seller took it apart for photographs on eBay so I have no way to check it out. He told me it was a good running engine. I found new aftermarket pistons, cam/ lifter kit, rods ect on Summit if I have to buy parts. Thank you very much for your reply.

Thank you very much Sir!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thank you very much for the reply. You guessed my main reason for buying the 413. I want it in the car as it was originally offered with one as an option. Since the original engine was blown up by the first owner why not go ahead and install a 413. My plans are not to hot rod it though I do plan to install one of the good sounding " Nostalgic " healthy sounding cams that Comp makes. As far as the wedge heads goes I did find reproduction wedge heads. They are a little expensive but availale. Thanks again Sir!

I have a pair of 65 Monacos - a 383-4 and a 413-4. Both pretty much stock, with 3.23s. They run the same, in fact the 383 car actually "feels" a little quicker.
So, if your expecting Max Wedge results from a stock 65 413, you will be disappointed. By 65, the 413 was used a the standard engine in the New Yorker and Imperial (and truck engines up thru at least the late 60s). Almost nothing in common with the fire-breathers of two years earlier.
My thoughts FWIW, would be to keep the 383, and build it up to the 383-4 specs. It'll be cheaper (413 internals are hard to find and expensive), and results are going to be about the same . . .
Good Luck! They're great cars . . .
Thank you Very Much. In my posting I forgot to mention the engine is a 1962 HP block. I thought HP meant High Performance. My mistake there but hopefully after a valve job and refrech on on engine it will be pretty nice. Thanks again Sir!

1965 motor mounts are one year only.
What year is the 413? If it is a 1965 engine it will bolt right in.
Otherwise you may have to fabricate new mounts since Schumacher's mounts are no longer available.
Thanks Sir, the engine is a 1962. I will be shure to get new motor mounts! Regards!

I forgot to mention the 413 is stamped HP.
HP!:steering:

If it is a 62, do some research if it will bolt completely/easily to an aluminum 727. Somewhere in early 60s they were different at the output/crank flange.
But if dated 11/62, is it then a 1963 engine? If so, it either got short crossrams (390 hp) or was the Firepower 360 with single 4-barrel.
IIRC the hydraulic cam is the same from early 60s crossram cars thru the 300L - just with different cam timing at the cam gear (cam timing is crucial to teh effectiveness of the crossram) This common cam might only be with the longrams engines, though, perhaps the shortram engines got solid lifters?

FWIW - from my extensive net-reading, the Summit 6400 or 6401 and Lunati 60302 would be good choices in a 413 and in a heavy car.

At this point, I don't see how a 383 2-barrel could be given mere bolt-ons and compete with a 413HP. Not with the 63-65 Firepower 360hp version, and certainly not a higher-hp dual-carb versions from 59-62 if that's what you have. 1.74 exh valve size will be a telling feature suggesting an older higher-hp version (or somebody added them).

Last edited:
Following up with more free advice...
If you plan on keeping the car definitely swap in the 413.

However if the 383 is running good, I would recommend getting it in good driver shape before putting money into another motor.

If it's a good driving car, the power upgrade and cool factor will be a big benefit. Otherwise everything that is not up to par will be amplified with the increased power.

I will concur that you need to chase down the casting numbers and casting dates on your 413 block to verify what model year it really came from.

As for the consumer automotive versions available, there were the 340 horse version (4bbl and single exhaust) and 360 horse versions with 4bbl and dual exhaust. There MIGHT have been a slight difference in the camshafts, but I don't believe there was as back then 20 horsepower was usually the difference between a single and dual exhaust system on the same engine.

In about 1968, I found an article in CAR LIFE magazine which was devoted to engine horsepower vs weight vs 1/4 mile trap speed. With correction factors for changing power and axle ratios vs 1/4 mile performance. The KEY thing was a three-piece chart with weight on one side, 1/4 mile trap speed on the other side, and the "horsepower on the ground" line in the middle. As much as I tried to preserve that chart (at a time when Zerox copiers where rare items), there was some wear and tear on it.

So, to really figure things out, using the correction factors, I made note cards on every Chrysler Corp vehicle road test in my car magazine collection (Motor Trend, CAR LIFE, Hot Rod, and others). THEN, I'd take that information and "standardize it" to a 4000lb car with 3.23 axle ratio and H78-14 tires (think C-body from 1966). That way, I could really tell what the engines were producing rather than rely upon factory ratings. The figures I got also looked to be more realixtic than the Mr. Gasketr "Dream Wheel" would produce with less data.

From a Hot Rod Magazine dyno test on a 1968 Chrysler 383 4bbl, I also had engine power numbers. Using those numbers, compared to the road test data, I determined that a Chrysler TF powertrain absorbed about 16.5% of engine power in making the rear wheels turn. Therefore, I could work backward to get flywheel horsepower from my standardized data. I might add that I was aided in this research project of mine by my trusty K+E slide rule.

I had also been collecting the Petersen Engine Annuals since the first one in 1965. These had a complete list of all engine specs. Cam timing was one, for example. Carb sizing, too, as to throttle bores and such. ALL USA brands of the repective model year. Seems like the last one was for 1972?

Now, having followed Chrysler engines for a good while back then, I knew the 413s were good performers, but their road test performances were a bit lackluster compared to the later 440s. Some of this tended to be confirmed when I found an exhaust manifold off of one at a parts warehouse. The exit hole was no more than 2.0", or similar to a small block Chevy of the time. So, "No wonder!", I thought. As I knew the later HP manifolds on the 440/375 were larger, as was the normal '66 383 exhaust manifold, too. BUT, that might not have been the ONLY reason.

So lets take a small side trip to the 1965 426-W Street Wedge. The Street HEMI was not yet in production, but the 413 had grown to 426cid. Basically the same cam as the 413/360 engine with an incremental horsepower increase due to the added displacement. A road test of a 4-speed '65 Monaco 500 426-W was not that impressive, or at least as much as I might have desired, all things considered.

When the first '66 Chrysler 440 road tests came out, I immediately put them into the database and was surprised how much more power the 440 put to the ground, compared to the earlier 413s of similar ratings. Except the base 440 was 350 horsepower rather than 340, with a bit more torque too. But the performance was better than just 10 horsepower and 10 lbs/ft of torque.

The '66 440 had the 256/260 cam as the normal cam. A slight bit shorter in rated duration and a bit less in advertised lift. But the cars still ran better. Adding a dual exhaust and dual snorkle air cleaner bumped things to 365 horsepower from the base 350, with the same 256/260 cam.

When the '67 440/375 appeared in the GTX, it had the 1.74 exhaust valves and the HP exhaust manifolds. Were those two items really worth just 10 additional horsepower over the 440TNT's 365 horsepower?

Now, there was ONE thing which changed with the '66 cars, which was mentioned in several "New Car" ariticles. It was a new torque converter in the TFs which was designed to "reduce creep at idle in gear". In a '65 Satellite 383 4bbl road test, CAR LIFE had clocked that car at 8mph at the end of a 1/4 mile drag strip. Just idling in "D", letting it run as fast it could "at idle". BTW, those pre-'66 TFs were somewhat known for their "tight torque converter", which tended to aid off-idle throttle reaponse compared to Ford or GM automatics. By observation, the '66 TF torque converters were still "tighter" than the competition, but not as tight as the pre-'66 converters.

A "tight" torque converter will load the engine more than a looser torque converter, off-idle. So that tighter torque converter, even with the approx 450cfm 4bbls of the earlier 1960s, could have slowed the initial "launch" of the car a bit, very possibly, making the ultimate 0-60 performance a bit less than it should have been. Which made the '64-'65 Imperials perform more poorly than might be suspected, when compared to a '65 Coupe DeVille with similar rated power.

Now, if you really want to spin your brain . . . compare a '63 383/330 engine to a '70 383/330 engine, much less the '66 383/325 engine in a Fury III, all with factory dual exhausts. Cam specs, carb sizings, exhaust manifolds, head ports, distributor advance specs, and valve sizings.

As to the power a streetable 383 can make? CAR LIFE had a short road test of a '69 Road Runner 383, upgraded with the 284/284 Purple Shaft Street HEMI grind cam (the ORIGINAL Purple Shaft cam from Direct Connection), and Edelbrock DP4B factory part number intake manifold, a Holley 3310 780cfm carb, and headers. Seems like it has 3.91 gears, too? End result, it was knocking on stock Street HEMI (426/425) performance territory. So, yes, a 383 CAN perform. With a few modern additions, it can also do it reliably, daily, too.

Yes, the Chrysler 413s did rule the drag strips in the earlier 1960s, but those drag strip engines were very specialized in their equipment. Especially in the MAX Wedge versions. BUT it was not just the engines which made this possible. It included some great drivers, excellent TorqueFlite automatics, great rear suspension designs (assymetrical mount rear leaf springs, as a Chrysler Corp exclusive back then and later), and well-finessed vehicles in a science-based engineer's approach to things.

Although the Chrysler 300 Letter Cars had the Long Ram intakes and about 900cfm of carburetion, they were designed more for mid-range torque than 6000rpm horsepower. Being one of the first USA brands to have a torque rating of "490", as I recall. Which helped make "two-lane blacktop" passes quicker and safer for all involved.

The unfortunate part of the 413s history involved being a medium-duty truck engine in Dodge D-400 trucks (as a specific truck-designed engine that had unique parts on it, as the water pump) and also doing duty as a stationary irrigation pump engine. No doubt, they were durable in those applications, but they were still there.

ONE thing about Chrysler Muscle Machines (from the first Chrysler 300 in 1955), the cars were "package cars". With more power, upgraded suspensions, brakes and other items were a part of the deal. With the "hot rod" factory engines working well within their vehicles, too. As TFs became increasingly "heavy duty" with the added power, too. A few reasons why Chrysler Corp vehicles were the choice of most law enforcement agencies for many decades from the earlier 1950s.

Yes, the 413 was factory-available in 1965. Yes, it can repkace a 383 in a 1965 car, but there can be a lot of little items which are specific to a 413 vehicle that do not work with a 383, very easily. Can it be done? Yes. Just as you can do anything if you have enough expertise, time, tools, and money to do it. BUT it is economically feasible to do? Will a later potential purchaser be as willing to buy it with an altered-size motor? A 383 stroker might be more saleable? That's your judgment call.

ONE observed issue with Chrysler B/RB motors is their large amount of weight "slinging around" in the crankcase. Piston weight, piston pin weight, plus the related crankshaft counterweight weight. Lighter pistons and pins mean less weight on the crankshaft counterweights, for example. Add in some "knife-edging" of the counterweights for less "wind resistance" as an aid, too.

I like ALL Chrysler V-8 engines, but tend to be a bit partial to B-383s. Especially when I discovered they had the same bore-to-stroke and stroke-to-rod length ratios as the Chevy 302 V-8 and the late-'60s Chevy Can-AM 430cid V-8s, too. In other words, optimum for power production and rev-a-bility. AND having those things from the later 1950s, too! Yes, I ran stats on those things too.

Sorry for the length. Many thoughts and observations over the years,
CBODY67

Last edited:
I will concur that you need to chase down the casting numbers and casting dates on your 413 block to verify what model year it really came from.

As for the consumer automotive versions available, there were the 340 horse version (4bbl and single exhaust) and 360 horse versions with 4bbl and dual exhaust. There MIGHT have been a slight difference in the camshafts, but I don't believe there was as back then 20 horsepower was usually the difference between a single and dual exhaust system on the same engine.

In about 1968, I found an article in CAR LIFE magazine which was devoted to engine horsepower vs weight vs 1/4 mile trap speed. With correction factors for changing power and axle ratios vs 1/4 mile performance. The KEY thing was a three-piece chart with weight on one side, 1/4 mile trap speed on the other side, and the "horsepower on the ground" line in the middle. As much as I tried to preserve that chart (at a time when Zerox copiers where rare items), there was some wear and tear on it.

So, to really figure things out, using the correction factors, I made note cards on every Chrysler Corp vehicle road test in my car magazine collection (Motor Trend, CAR LIFE, Hot Rod, and others). THEN, I'd take that information and "standardize it" to a 4000lb car with 3.23 axle ratio and H78-14 tires (think C-body from 1966). That way, I could really tell what the engines were producing rather than rely upon factory ratings. The figures I got also looked to be more realixtic than the Mr. Gasketr "Dream Wheel" would produce with less data.

From a Hot Rod Magazine dyno test on a 1968 Chrysler 383 4bbl, I also had engine power numbers. Using those numbers, compared to the road test data, I determined that a Chrysler TF powertrain absorbed about 16.5% of engine power in making the rear wheels turn. Therefore, I could work backward to get flywheel horsepower from my standardized data. I might add that I was aided in this research project of mine by my trusty K+E slide rule.

I had also been collecting the Petersen Engine Annuals since the first one in 1965. These had a complete list of all engine specs. Cam timing was one, for example. Carb sizing, too, as to throttle bores and such. ALL USA brands of the repective model year. Seems like the last one was for 1972?

Now, having followed Chrysler engines for a good while back then, I knew the 413s were good performers, but their road test performances were a bit lackluster compared to the later 440s. Some of this tended to be confirmed when I found an exhaust manifold off of one at a parts warehouse. The exit hole was no more than 2.0", or similar to a small block Chevy of the time. So, "No wonder!", I thought. As I knew the later HP manifolds on the 440/375 were larger, as was the normal '66 383 exhaust manifold, too. BUT, that might not have been the ONLY reason.

So lets take a small side trip to the 1965 426-W Street Wedge. The Street HEMI was not yet in production, but the 413 had grown to 426cid. Basically the same cam as the 413/360 engine with an incremental horsepower increase due to the added displacement. A road test of a 4-speed '65 Monaco 500 426-W was not that impressive, or at least as much as I might have desired, all things considered.

When the first '66 Chrysler 440 road tests came out, I immediately put them into the database and was surprised how much more power the 440 put to the ground, compared to the earlier 413s of similar ratings. Except the base 440 was 350 horsepower rather than 340, with a bit more torque too. But the performance was better than just 10 horsepower and 10 lbs/ft of torque.

The '66 440 had the 256/260 cam as the normal cam. A slight bit shorter in rated duration and a bit less in advertised lift. But the cars still ran better. Adding a dual exhaust and dual snorkle air cleaner bumped things to 365 horsepower from the base 350, with the same 256/260 cam.

When the '67 440/375 appeared in the GTX, it had the 1.74 exhaust valves and the HP exhaust manifolds. Were those two items really worth just 10 additional horsepower over the 440TNT's 365 horsepower?

Now, there was ONE thing which changed with the '66 cars, which was mentioned in several "New Car" ariticles. It was a new torque converter in the TFs which was designed to "reduce creep at idle in gear". In a '65 Satellite 383 4bbl road test, CAR LIFE had clocked that car at 8mph at the end of a 1/4 mile drag strip. Just idling in "D", letting it run as fast it could "at idle". BTW, those pre-'66 TFs were somewhat known for their "tight torque converter", which tended to aid off-idle throttle reaponse compared to Ford or GM automatics. By observation, the '66 TF torque converters were still "tighter" than the competition, but not as tight as the pre-'66 converters.

A "tight" torque converter will load the engine more than a looser torque converter, off-idle. So that tighter torque converter, even with the approx 450cfm 4bbls of the earlier 1960s, could have slowed the initial "launch" of the car a bit, very possibly, making the ultimate 0-60 performance a bit less than it should have been. Which made the '64-'65 Imperials perform more poorly than might be suspected, when compared to a '65 Coupe DeVille with similar rated power.

Now, if you really want to spin your brain . . . compare a '63 383/330 engine to a '70 383/330 engine, much less the '66 383/325 engine in a Fury III, all with factory dual exhausts. Cam specs, carb sizings, exhaust manifolds, head ports, distributor advance specs, and valve sizings.

As to the power a streetable 383 can make? CAR LIFE had a short road test of a '69 Road Runner 383, upgraded with the 284/284 Purple Shaft Street HEMI grind cam (the ORIGINAL Purple Shaft cam from Direct Connection), and Edelbrock DP4B factory part number intake manifold, a Holley 3310 780cfm carb, and headers. Seems like it has 3.91 gears, too? End result, it was knocking on stock Street HEMI (426/425) performance territory. So, yes, a 383 CAN perform. With a few modern additions, it can also do it reliably, daily, too.

Yes, the Chrysler 413s did rule the drag strips in the earlier 1960s, but those drag strip engines were very specialized in their equipment. Especially in the MAX Wedge versions. BUT it was not just the engines which made this possible. It included some great drivers, excellent TorqueFlite automatics, great rear suspension designs (assymetrical mount rear leaf springs, as a Chrysler Corp exclusive back then and later), and well-finessed vehicles in a science-based engineer's approach to things.

Although the Chrysler 300 Letter Cars had the Long Ram intakes and about 900cfm of carburetion, they were designed more for mid-range torque than 6000rpm horsepower. Being one of the first USA brands to have a torque rating of "490", as I recall. Which helped make "two-lane blacktop" passes quicker and safer for all involved.

The unfortunate part of the 413s history involved being a medium-duty truck engine in Dodge D-400 trucks (as a specific truck-designed engine that had unique parts on it, as the water pump) and also doing duty as a stationary irrigation pump engine. No doubt, they were durable in those applications, but they were still there.

ONE thing about Chrysler Muscle Machines (from the first Chrysler 300 in 1955), the cars were "package cars". With more power, upgraded suspensions, brakes and other items were a part of the deal. With the "hot rod" factory engines working well within their vehicles, too. As TFs became increasingly "heavy duty" with the added power, too. A few reasons why Chrysler Corp vehicles were the choice of most law enforcement agencies for many decades from the earlier 1950s.

Yes, the 413 was factory-available in 1965. Yes, it can repkace a 383 in a 1965 car, but there can be a lot of little items which are specific to a 413 vehicle that do not work with a 383, very easily. Can it be done? Yes. Just as you can do anything if you have enough expertise, time, tools, and money to do it. BUT it is economically feasible to do? Will a later potential purchaser be as willing to buy it with an altered-size motor? A 383 stroker might be more saleable? That's your judgment call.

ONE observed issue with Chrysler B/RB motors is their large amount of weight "slinging around" in the crankcase. Piston weight, piston pin weight, plus the related crankshaft counterweight weight. Lighter pistons and pins mean less weight on the crankshaft counterweights, for example. Add in some "knife-edging" of the counterweights for less "wind resistance" as an aid, too.

I like ALL Chrysler V-8 engines, but tend to be a bit partial to B-383s. Especially when I discovered they had the same bore-to-stroke and stroke-to-rod length ratios as the Chevy 302 V-8 and the late-'60s Chevy Can-AM 430cid V-8s, too. In other words, optimum for power production and rev-a-bility. AND having those things from the later 1950s, too! Yes, I ran stats on those things too.

Sorry for the length. Many thoughts and observations over the years,
CBODY67
Good grief, the stuff you can generate at a whim is mind boggling. Between you and big john and saforwardlook there is no need for books.
I went to order a turn signal switch last night and had the gal check to see if I might have already ordered one. I had already bought 2 this year! Only two months apart no less. So I cancelled that and went home to find one sitting in the back of the car. I can't remember last week.

But to my actual point. Years ago I found and old hot rod mag or some other magazine that had an article on a 60 or so chevy pickup with an gen 1 hemi. 392 maybe with the auto.
This was well before trucks had real power. They were all torque multiplication through gearing still. Anyway, I envisioned that truck to be the prototype for what was to come later.
In the mid sixties many guys towed there race car with another car. You could get a big block and an auto and hit the hiway at speed and run the a.c. Trucks were down geared with small motors and no amenities. But come 1970 the factories were finally catching on.

Anyhow I would like to read that article again if somebody knows of it. I probably still have it because I know I have not thrown out any of my magazines from before I existed.

Back