383hp 2 part question

GOLDMYN

Reaction score
1. does the dual snorkel air cleaner have a cleaning instruction decal on it and if so, where? 2. Do the 383/330hp engine in C bodies have a windage tray installed from the factory? thanks
DSC04787.JPG

The windage tray, as I understand it, was only on the 383/335 and '67+ 440/375 and possibly later "police" engines. I had the DC windage tray installed on my '70 Monaco 383 "N" as it needed an oil pan gasket, after I bought it in mid-'75.

At the time, the car had about 85K on it. Never been apart. Also added the DC roller timing chain, too. We scraped the side of the oil pan/block interface and found no evidence of an extra gasket and sheet metal dividing them.

As I've learned, the ONLY cars the 383/335 went into were Road Runners, 'Cuda 383 (similar Challenger), and Super Bees, not the other cars (B/E/C-body cars) with the "N" VIN code or the same option code . . . which would mean that the "other" code "N" cars. The 383/335 "N" engine had the HP cam from the 440/375 GTX, but the 383/330 "N" had the normal 4bbl 256/260 cam. Both engines had the same option/sales code and were termed "383 High Performance" in the literature.

Somewhat confusing. If you ordered a 'Cuda 383 or Challenger R/T, it got the 383/335 motor. If you ordered a normal Barracuda or Challenger 383 4bbl, it was the 383/330 motor. Verified in the AMA Specs of 1970. Also, from what I've heard from times gone by, the 330hp motors were "Chrysler Blue" but the 335hp motors were Hemi Orange. The "N" in my '70 Monaco Brougham is blue, but with a crinkle-paint dual snorkel air cleaner and the HP manifolds, neither of which appear to be camshaft-specific in 1970.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The air cleaner "service" decal was usually on the rh vertical side, in approx. the 9:00 o'clock location with the radiator cap being at 6:00 o'clock. Typically. I've seen some pictures of orig cars with it on the "flat" a/c compressor clearance area, but without factory a/c.

CBODY67

What year we talking about?
for 1968..
No pie tin or call outs from factory. Pie tin will not fit correct air cleaner.
No windage tray in 383HP C body.
I did install one during rebuild,however.
Decal shown in pic...
Hope this helps cheers.
boab 2018 006.JPG

I know there were differences year to year. Here is a pic of a parts car that the owner took the engine and trans for a RR fake Belvedere.

I believe the car was unmolested and it had the same air cleaner as my 440HP. I suspect the pie tin was removed prior to the pic.

upload_2019-2-2_15-56-23.jpeg

upload_2019-2-2_15-56-36.jpeg

upload_2019-2-2_15-56-49.jpeg

Some of the late '66-'67 police cruiser engines in 383 CID were also painted Hemi orange and potentially also had the windage tray as part of the max performance police package for the 383. That was the only such application outside of of the one's noted above that I am aware of for 383's.

Windage trays were available on the factory race engines for the 426, 426w and 440 and from DC as an after market item. I think I still have one for a 440 around here some place. As noted above, this was a sheet metal unit that was bolted between the pan and the engine block and required two pan gaskets for assembly. These trays did not have enough free space to run a stroker kit, so may of the race engines with the higher CID numbers had them discarded.

Dave.

I reject your reality and substitute my own. :stop:
View attachment 255412
WTF?
First you do not state what year of car you are talking about.
I answered your two part question without knowing what year of car.
Then show pics of a parts car.
I am correct based on the information and pics YOU shown.
69 B body air cleaner w/o snorkel. (Among other vehicles and yes up here in Canada I had seen /6 cars with them now that I remember)
Thanks for sharing the added info that the C bodies also got the same air cleaner.
Giving me **** was uncalled for.

WTF?
First you do not state what year of car you are talking about.
I answered your two part question without knowing what year of car.
Then show pics of a parts car.
I am correct based on the information and pics YOU shown.
69 B body air cleaner w/o snorkel. (Among other vehicles and yes up here in Canada I had seen /6 cars with them now that I remember)
Thanks for sharing the added info that the C bodies also got the same air cleaner.
Giving me **** was uncalled for.

Sorry to offend, that was not my intention, it was suppose to be humor. I should have included the reference,

I was not the original poster, I was simply stating that there were many air cleaners that were used on HP C-bodies. You stated emphatically that the one on the car I showed was a 68 - 69 B-body, I was simply correcting your statement with an attempt at lighting the conversation with humor, apparently not very successfully.

Mine has a sticker, (not there right now for a better pic), below the left snorkel
Eng 2.JPG
. There is residue of one on the left snorkel but I don't know what it was. FWiW, from what I understand, (for 68 Plymouth's only), the only 4 bbl 383 was the H-code. The difference between 330 & 335 versions was the air cleaner, silenced vs. un-silenced. If I'm wrong, please correct.
Eng 1.JPG

Last edited:
The windage tray, as I understand it, was only on the 383/335 and '67+ 440/375 and possibly later "police" engines. I had the DC windage tray installed on my '70 Monaco 383 "N" as it needed an oil pan gasket, after I bought it in mid-'75.

At the time, the car had about 85K on it. Never been apart. Also added the DC roller timing chain, too. We scraped the side of the oil pan/block interface and found no evidence of an extra gasket and sheet metal dividing them.

As I've learned, the ONLY cars the 383/335 went into were Road Runners, 'Cuda 383 (similar Challenger), and Super Bees, not the other cars (B/E/C-body cars) with the "N" VIN code or the same option code . . . which would mean that the "other" code "N" cars. The 383/335 "N" engine had the HP cam from the 440/375 GTX, but the 383/330 "N" had the normal 4bbl 256/260 cam. Both engines had the same option/sales code and were termed "383 High Performance" in the literature.

Somewhat confusing. If you ordered a 'Cuda 383 or Challenger R/T, it got the 383/335 motor. If you ordered a normal Barracuda or Challenger 383 4bbl, it was the 383/330 motor. Verified in the AMA Specs of 1970. Also, from what I've heard from times gone by, the 330hp motors were "Chrysler Blue" but the 335hp motors were Hemi Orange. The "N" in my '70 Monaco Brougham is blue, but with a crinkle-paint dual snorkel air cleaner and the HP manifolds, neither of which appear to be camshaft-specific in 1970.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

There are various applications by year. I’ll keep this short and not cover A body version.

No C body 335 horse variant.

68 335 horse. Road Runner and Super Bee only either transmission no AC. Turquoise.
69 335 horse. Road Runner and Super Bee with either transmission and no AC. Any B body (Charger, Coronet, Satellite) with four speed and no AC got the 335 horse. Orange.
70 as you stated, the applications are all over the map for B and E bodies. There is a 335 horse AC version in 70. Orange.

All 383-4bbl cars of the same year code the same in the sales codes and VIN regardless of body (A,B,C,E). You have to know the specific year and applications to determine which assembly, and associated horsepower rating of the assembly, was installed in the car.

Mine has a sticker, (not there right now for a better pic), below the left snorkelView attachment 255456 . There is residue of one on the left snorkel but I don't know what it was. FWiW, from what I understand, (for 68 Plymouth's only), the only 4 bbl 383 was the H-code. The difference between 330 & 335 versions was the air cleaner, silenced vs. un-silenced. If I'm wrong, please correct. View attachment 255451

The main difference between the 330 and 335 horse version is the cam and valve train. The 335horse uses the same cam as the 440hp. There are some others nuances like the air cleaner, distributor, and windage tray.

Last edited:
The main difference between the 330 and 335 horse version is the cam and valve train. The 335 uses the same as the 440hp. There are some others nuances like the air cleaner, distributor, and windage tray.

I looked at the parts book and see a difference from the 383-4 and the 383-4 R2, (Road Runner), is the cam.

I looked at the parts book and see a difference from the 383-4 and the 383-4 R2, (Road Runner), is the cam.

Look at the valve springs too. That cam came with different springs. (if you are using the 68 parts book...be careful. There are some glitches in the book)

Back