383hp 2 part question

As a note of explanation, when I got my '70 Monaco Brougham "N", in 1975, I started to look for small things I could possibly still get to keep it looking "right". One was the air cleaner service decal. By that time, it was NS1, so I looked in the main repro engine compartment decal vendors. They had some, but they were not an exact match, so I stopped worrying about getting one, even years later they were not the ones to match mine, so I paid special attention when cleaning the engine area to not disentigrate it more than it already was, around the edges. Most fell off, anyway, it seemed. But on my cars, they were on the rh side as I mentioned. In more RECENT times, Internet research has revealed there was lots of variations as to where they went on the air cleaner body, platform to platform, model year to model year, engine family to engine family.

The '68 Road Runner 383 air cleaner was a disguised open element air cleaner, with the "open" part around the bottom of the housing. There were earlier versions on prior 383 4bbls ('65 B-body, I believe) but without the crinkle paint and specific styling of the '68 RR unit. The '68 Satellite 2dr ht my neighbor ordered for '68 high school graduation was supposed to have the "Road Runner V-8", but we now know it should have been the normal 383 4bbl w/dual exhausts. BUT it had the open element RR air cleaner, high-rise exhaust manifolds, painted turquoise, with factory a/c, so it looked the part.

I have not looked at the most recent air cleaner service decals to see if any might match the ones on my cars. But as they are not an exact match, in all respects, possibly more applicable to B-body cars, I'm not terribly concerned about replacing them. In THAT respect, much of these comments about placement might tend to be moot if the correct-match items are not available. Now, IF somebody might take a hi-res photo of an original item (CORRECT for each respective application!), then photoshop it to make the colors and such bright and un-faded, then transfer that enhanced image to some sort of adhesive medium in the correct size and such, THEN all of these concerns might have more meaning. At least to me. Be that as it may.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Look at the valve springs too. That cam came with different springs. (if you are using the 68 parts book...be careful. There are some glitches in the book)

The best resource for some engine item specs is the FSM, rather than the parts books. Chrysler, GM, or otherwise. You can also find other "official" specs in Hamtramck Historical website. Go to the area with the sales data books, look for the "AMA Specs" icon, when available. The Automobile Manufacturers Association was an industry-approved "group" which set policies and such for their members. Each vehicle's specs were also reported to them to ensure compliance with some of those things.

The normal 383 4bbl valve springs have different checking specs (pressures, etc.) than other similar engines. The 383 4bbl springs had more open pressure than the 2bbl springs, for example. There were also some 383/335 springs which were stronger than the others, still, plus some inner flat-wound spring dampers to higher rpm capabilities.d

According to the AMA Specs for Plymouth Belvederes in '70, the 383/335 had a Holley 4160 1.56/1.75, whereas the 383/330 had an AVS 1.44/1.69.

In the end, there are several different research resources which might need to be utilized in order to determine what is what. Unfortunately, when these additional resources happened and existed, there was no real historic significance placed upon them, so those dealer letters were just that, print on paper. If a dealer didn't order one of the affected vehicles, it was probably discarded. So, parts book part number, updated/superceded via the Parts Price Schedule, additions/changes via dealer letters. In some cases, it can get pretty murky if there are "gaps" in more recent times.

So, it takes everything rather than just ONE resource. Although several can have the same information in them.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The best resource for some engine item specs is the FSM, rather than the parts books. Chrysler, GM, or otherwise. You can also find other "official" specs in Hamtramck Historical website. Go to the area with the sales data books, look for the "AMA Specs" icon, when available.

Doug is a huge part of the registry ....

Back