392 Hemi, WIW?

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I got a call out of the blue today from a guy has a 57 392 Hemi he wants to sell. I'm going to look at it tomorrow but here's what I know. It's a 57 so it must be a 392. He said he didn't know what size it was but it is a 57. It has a cracked head and three carbs on it. Must be an aftermarket intake and carbs? That's all I know right now. He wants me to make an offer so I'm asking you guys what you think it's worth. So whadda you guys think?

Thanks Matt. I've been doing some research too and am shocked to find what they are going for, or at least what they're asking for them. I don't want to tie up a bunch of cash in something I have no use for but I guess I'll go see what I can get it for.

Well a 392 there days is usually worth a few bucks. I'd start low...$1000 and go up from there. I sold my 331 Hemi for about $450. It was complete but in need of a rebuild...not not nearly as desirable as the 392.

Here's a link to a 3 carb intake by Wieand...rare piece!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825373&highlight=392+hemi

You can go over to the HAMB message board and search around in the classifieds...get a rough feel for what they are going for. Saw one ad where the motor needed a re-bore, crank ground and a helicoil or two...$3500

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php

Tri carbs on a 392 is a aftermarket piece and may be the most valuable part of that deal.

The folks who will be interested potential buyers are the rat rod crowd and the forward look restorers... Either like to spend a lot of money... (Kinda like the C body crowd). :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe post over on the forward look site.....
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/category-view.asp

Its not necessarily a 392...only the Imperial and Chrysler lines had the 392, other lines got different displacements (i.e. Desoto got the 345 etc).

With one cracked head I would be very leery of the condition of the other head and block. I would offer to get it magnufluxed (prior to buying the motor) to check for cracks and take that cost off the price you guys agree on if the engine checks out. That would be a very expensive pile of junk if the block was cracked.

One of Those ads in Detroit have been on for a long time at that price so...
I agree with Bob, if one head is cracked the rest needs to be checked first before any deal is made. The salvage yard that I roamed through with Matt(Rattle Trap) last week had 3 Hemi's, 2 were under hoods of Chryslers and 1 was a Desoto that was exposed to the elements. My impression of the guy running the yard was that he didn't care about all the vintage stuff scattered around the woods and I can't imagine he would want much for any of it. If you pull the trigger and end up needing a head, pm Matt, I bet he'd be willing to help you out.

I got a call out of the blue today from a guy has a 57 392 Hemi he wants to sell. I'm going to look at it tomorrow but here's what I know. It's a 57 so it must be a 392. He said he didn't know what size it was but it is a 57. It has a cracked head and three carbs on it. Must be an aftermarket intake and carbs? That's all I know right now. He wants me to make an offer so I'm asking you guys what you think it's worth. So whadda you guys think?

Check out this "Hemi Swap Meet" at HOTHEADS. There are a lot of for-sale ads associated with hemi stuff.

http://www.hothemiheads.com/swapmeet/parts.html

Its not necessarily a 392...only the Imperial and Chrysler lines had the 392, other lines got different displacements (i.e. Desoto got the 345 etc).
Good point. I didn't think about that. Does anyone know if the size is stamped on the block or any other way to tell?

H.A.M.B. guys could tell you if it was raining the day an original Hemi engine block was cast. And the foundry's manager's wife's maiden name.

Good point. I didn't think about that. Does anyone know if the size is stamped on the block or any other way to tell?

Yeah...... Dodge red ram... Desoto firedome and Chrysler fire power engines were all different with very little interchangability.
I remember there being a engine ID pad at the top of the block, in the front behind the timing cover. Codes stamped there will tell what it is.

The heads are the weak link on most old hemis..... They would crack around the rocker stands. I looked at several heads for an old 241 red ram i had before finding a good one.

Ok, I went and looked at it and turns out it's a 325 Industrial Hemi. It came out of a forklift he said. I'm sure someone stuck it in the forklift so who knows what it was originally in. Has a Offenhouser 3 2bbl intake. I don't think it's worth much but he also has a pallet with a bare block ( couldn't tell what the block is) with some Keith Black hemi valve covers, a Keith Black oil pump and a crank and aluminum rods and two old blowers. On top of this mess sits two long ram intakes. Now it's time to do decide if I want to deal with all this and if so for how much.

five hundred.............see ya!
I was thinking $300 and Maybe going to $500. Heck if I can find enough stuff to sell and pay for the trip I might drive to Carlisle and take one of my buddies swap meet spots.

I know nothing about that stuff Chris, just from what you said it sounds like they'll want some coin

Back