392 Monaco

Elwood470

Reaction score
Just bought a '77 Monaco..Yes it's dressed as a taxi, yes it will receive a '74 clip, yes it will be black and white.
But, it's also receiving a modern 392 Hemi..I just swapped a 6.1 Hemi in a 70 Satellite. Now, I want to try my luck with this Monaco. With a couple mods it should have 400+ rwhp.
I'll post the build on here..I won't bore u with the Bluesmobile transition..But will document the hemi swap.

FB_IMG_1488564398572.jpg

Let us know what the pain points are with the swap. Plenty of pictures will help too.

Good luck and have fun.

Just bought a '77 Monaco..Yes it's dressed as a taxi, yes it will receive a '74 clip, yes it will be black and white.
But, it's also receiving a modern 392 Hemi..I just swapped a 6.1 Hemi in a 70 Satellite. Now, I want to try my luck with this Monaco. With a couple mods it should have 400+ rwhp.
I'll post the build on here..I won't bore u with the Bluesmobile transition..But will document the hemi swap.
Nice man! I've been waiting to see this transplant!

I'm actually liking that taxi cab look! It's different, and would make a hell of a sleeper!

Began the nose swap..Took the '77 front clip off. Should look just like a '74 by the end of the week.
Biggest problem I foresee will be just getting the hemi and trans to sit right in the K frame. It was a pain with my '70 B-body and it had a lot of aftermarket support...This car has zero. Lol.

20170317_154326.jpg

Some pics of the Satellite 6.1 swap. The Monaco will be fairly faster than this car..The 392 in stock form puts down 60-70 more rwhp than a 6.1.
Got my 9.25 rear this weekend also, gonna have it rebuilt with 3.90 gears and Yukon axels.

FB_IMG_1490579501804.jpg

FB_IMG_1490579511996.jpg

FB_IMG_1490579518552.jpg

FB_IMG_1490579553392.jpg

FB_IMG_1490579535032.jpg

Yup, going for shock factor. Almost made a deal on a Hellcat engine and trans..But it sold too fast.
I'm gonna hold off till folks start crashing Demons into the telephone poll across the street from the dealership moments after being handed the keys. I get the feeling there'll be many to choose from.

Some pics of the Satellite 6.1 swap. The Monaco will be fairly faster than this car..The 392 in stock form puts down 60-70 more rwhp than a 6.1.
Got my 9.25 rear this weekend also, gonna have it rebuilt with 3.90 gears and Yukon axels.

Very cool swap. What are you doing for brakes on the car? Don't see any booster, etc. Electric power brakes? Or . . .?

Very cool swap. What are you doing for brakes on the car? Don't see any booster, etc. Electric power brakes? Or . . .?
Doesn't show in those pics, but the Satellite got power disc brakes with drilled and slotted rotors. The Monaco is getting the same setup..Worked really well.

What are your plans for the small block that's currently in the taxi......? 727 trans ......?
Probably will sell it, it's a decent little 318..Not sure about the 727 tho, deciding what trans to use in the swap..Either a modern trans like a Nag1 or keep the 727 and put a gearvenders overdrive.

Back