3g hemi into a c body?

Hunyadi

Reaction score
I realize that many of the sister F-x-BO's have a bunch of thread on this already - but has anyone thought of converting a 5.7 or 6.1 into one of our C Bodies? At a whopping 12 mpg and the "standard" HP rating of my 1966 383 Chrysler 300 I bet a new gen HEMI would boost power, MPG and certainly boost the cool status.... so what would it take? Anyone figured it out yet?

:read2:

Yep.
A factory New Hemi crate engine comes complete with a fits-all computer that requires only a 12V source.
There are now aftermarket New Hemi to B-body mounts that was heard to work w/C-bodies with a little gentle persuading.
You can bolt a torqueflite to them.
I'm guessing the aftermarket New Hemi to B-body header may be massaged to work butt really don't know for sure.
The only think left is to examine your bank account. It ain't cheap and the ROI if you're looking vor savings from the improved gas mileage is like never...

So has it been done in a C-Body yet - what type of massaging was required with the motor mounts - where is the stand alone 3G Hemi found? MOPAR? My 727 will bolt directly to the 3G! And work?

List is such:
More power - for me
More coolness - for me
Better gas mileage - how to sell the idea to my family....

How about trying a 4 spd auto with OD and locking torque converter with the 383. I don't see getting great mileage with anything in front of a stock Torqueflite with 3:23 gears. Anyone know if someone has mated a 46RH up to any of these old 440's or 383's?

I'm just getting ready to start on this swap. 360 727 for 2004 5.7 Hemi and 545. It will be a big project and will take a fair amount of fabrication but should be fun.

There were a couple guys that did a Hemi transplant on teh Drydock: a green 72 or 73 Fury wagon, an orange 68 Sport Fury fasttop, and a 3rd one that I don't fully remember (maybe it went unfinished?).

As for the Torqueflite - it needs to be a smallblock trans to bolt to a new Hemi, not a bigblock trans.
If doing a trans change, might as well do an OD - either a hydrualically-governed A518 (self-controlled) or the one mated to the Hemi - but that one is electronically-controlled, which usually means a junkyard controller re-flashed to erase the original-VIN stuff. There are some aftermarket controllers for some of the Hemi trans. The truck A545 is more slender and reportedly an easier fit, but IIRC no aftermarket control for that one.
But any of those OD transmissions require some surgery and crossmember fabrication, plus shortened driveshaft.

IIRC there might be an adapter flexplate or something to fill in the gap between TC and crankshaft.
There have been some issues on many different chassis with the old filter setup hitting the crossmember.
I don't know what the oilpan clearance is like with the centerlink and idler arm, but I'd expect some issues there.

As simpler/cheaper method to improve drivability and mpg might be a newer throttle-body type of EFI system, one that includes control of ignition timing.
More complete control of timing can give more torque.
An EFI system can prevent fuel boil-out at the engine, which helps MPG. We lose MPG when we lose fuel.
An EFI system that returns to the fuel tank can lose some benefit by heating the fuel in the tank, and an old-car tank cannot seal/recover the vapors like a modern tank.
A returnless EFI system (I think some of the new ones are this type) modulates the fuel pump to only send the engine what it needs, keeping fuel temperature lower. A return-type is constantly ciruclating fuel from the hot engine fuel rails back to the tank, and it re-circulates the most fuel when fuel usage is *lowest* (which is most of the time).

An EFI system can also be mapped to drop fuel at closed throttle and 1500+ engine rpm. My wideband O2 sensor shows my carb goes really rich under that condition. I presume this is due to the engine RPM causing high vacuum and suckign more fuel than they'd normally do at idle. The carb doesn't really know you're coasting - the EFI does.

If you have an original-spec '66 383, you have small-valve closed-chamber 516 heads, which IMO would be a good choice for high airflow velocity for street driving, and probably better MGP over the later open-chamber heads - a prime candidate for EFI to boost MPG. Just my opinion there, no data to back that up.

I'm just getting ready to start on this swap. 360 727 for 2004 5.7 Hemi and 545. It will be a big project and will take a fair amount of fabrication but should be fun.
Whereabouts in Inidana? I'm in the Indy area.

Hotwire Auto specializes in supplying wiring harnesses for Hemi and Magnum engine swaps into older project vehicles. Best to find a donor vehicle to obtain engine, trans, computer, and harness.

HotwireAuto.com

Back