For Sale 4 speed $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the stamped number 7-11-77 the assembly date of the transmission ?

Looks like an O/D 833 - the shifter handle definitely is and the case appears to be aluminum which I think only came in the O/D units.

Definitely an OD833. 3-4 shift arm is flipped.

The car ones were aluminum A-body length and the truck ones that I've seen were B-body length with an iron case.

Kevin

I had one in my truck for a couple years until I broke it...... don't work them real hard if you want them to last.
I will be upset when it breaks. I'LL either go with Passion overdrive Hemi gearset they sell. I hate to have to jump to a 5 speed but it is a option, no overdrive is not a option.

I will be upset when it breaks. I'LL either go with Passion overdrive Hemi gearset they sell. I hate to have to jump to a 5 speed but it is a option, no overdrive is not a option.

I believe the idler shaft was the weak spot on these especially the aluminum cased ones. The shaft ran directly in the case with no bushings. The aluminum would pound out causing leaks and allowing the shaft to wander around, neither one conducive to long transmission life. If caught in time the case can be machined for bushings that will keep the counter shaft happy. The iron case is somewhat less prone to it.

I know someone here at home that has one in a Hemi Roadrunner and it allows him to drive it from Ontario to Florida at freeway speeds without having to spin the wee out of it. 15-17 MPG Canadian. Overdrive in that application is strictly for cruising tho. Pull it up to freeway speed in 3rd as hard as you want but don't be stepping into that back carb in 4th.

Kevin

When they redesigned the 4 speed to an O/D, it wasn't really a 4 spd.O/D tranny. It actually was more Ike a three spd. tranny plus an O/D gear.

Yeah, all the above, along with don't pull a heavy trailer or you'll kill it. I found out later that trans was factory rated for a 2K trailer weight, and that's what my trailer weighed empty. Full it didn't seem to like.

Yeah, all the above, along with don't pull a heavy trailer or you'll kill it. I found out later that trans was factory rated for a 2K trailer weight, and that's what my trailer weighed empty. Full it didn't seem to like.
What actually broke in yours? Everyone knows a big engine and 23 spline/1" input shaft is cause for concern. The tooth engagement of the 3.09:1 first gear is weak. Lastly the constant power through the countershaft and it's crude bearing setup, in overdrive, or what was 3rd gear.
Just asking to keep a eye on it.
The 1-2 shift is almost impossible at 5k, your asking a lot from the syncronizers to slow that and engage the slide gear on the speed gear dogs

What actually broke in yours? Everyone knows a big engine and 23 spline/1" input shaft is cause for concern. The tooth engagement of the 3.09:1 first gear is weak. Lastly the constant power through the countershaft and it's crude bearing setup, in overdrive, or what was 3rd gear.
Just asking to keep a eye on it.
Not sure what broke, it just started growling loudly as I remember so I yanked it. Luckily I had a normal 833 laying around so I put that in as a replacement and it's been fine since although I did miss the overdrive. It's been retired now anyway....

When they redesigned the 4 speed to an O/D, it wasn't really a 4 spd.O/D tranny. It actually was more Ike a three spd. tranny plus an O/D gear.

Yep and 5.0 Mustangs of the early 80's vintage with the 5sp overdrive would hit a higher top speed in 4th than 5th (overdrive).

How do I know this? Geee I don'kno...

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back