440..350 hp E85 or E86?

Big Block

Reaction score
Hello folks I have a quick question I recently found this add online showing a lovely Newort 70 or 71? My question is this most Newports were born with the 383 but this was a special edition with the 440 350 horsepower so would the engine code be E85 or E86..whats your thought folks and any idea roughly how many coupes came off the one with this powerplant...thanks

70chr_440b.jpg

Hello folks I have a quick question I recently found this add online showing a lovely Newort 70 or 71? My question is this most Newports were born with the 383 but this was a special edition with the 440 350 horsepower so would the engine code be E85 or E86..whats your thought folks and any idea roughly how many coupes came off the one with this powerplant...thanks

Don't know how many Newport 440s were built, but the engine code should be 'E85' for the 350 HP version.

Wow. I have never heard of the Newport 440 model.
Extremely interesting.

Now I'm wondering...
if this car showed up in a CL ad listed as simply as a Newport, how many of us would have thought that the owner stuck some B/E 440 emblems on there?

PicsArt_06-21-12.28.09.jpg

Was reading an interesting article in Collectible Automobile the other day, which alluded to a "Newport 440" model (sub-model, special edition, local edition . . . ???). If I remember correctly, supposedly ~150 were produced, all w/ the TNT 440, buckets, and HD equipment. I believe the only color choices were Rally Red or Citron Yella, w/ either black or white vinyl roof/interior. I've never seen/heard of one, nor do I know anyone who has. Could this be . . . ???

I would love to see an example but those are close to the last 2 colors id want on a Newport.

Was reading an interesting article in Collectible Automobile the other day, which alluded to a "Newport 440" model (sub-model, special edition, local edition . . . ???). If I remember correctly, supposedly ~150 were produced, all w/ the TNT 440, buckets, and HD equipment. I believe the only color choices were Rally Red or Citron Yella, w/ either black or white vinyl roof/interior. I've never seen/heard of one, nor do I know anyone who has. Could this be . . . ???
The ad posted by Big Block could be a red car with a white roof but I don't think so. Also, the ad specifically says 350 HP which is not the TNT so I'm thinking the article screwed up some details. I've never heard of the Newport 440 either but I'd love to find one just because it would be unique. :thumbsup:

We gotta whole shebang here, in two or three different threads on T/U, E85/E86, single/dual exhaust flavors of EACH in 70-71 models that I will only mention cuz I don't recall how it all came out.

00-1-2-1.jpg

First, never heard of a Newport 440, or recall seeing one in my life before today. great find!

Second, at 350-hp, my understanding is its a "T" code, "E85" car and not a TNT car.

Third, the "U"" code, "E86" mill was engineerined and used in the platform at the time obviously, so its possible the 375-HP ""TNT engine may have gotten into a few of these "Newport 440's" at the factory or by some enterprising dealer in their service department.

Cool car, T or U or whatever it is :)

Breaking news but saylor beat me to it. E85, single exhaust "standard". Wouldnt doubt a few TNT E86's may have been built even though the bulletin says you could NOT get it (second page, first paragraph, neither a 3 speed manual, nor a 383-4V) from the factory.

00-1-2-4.jpg
00-1-2-5.jpg

Last edited:
That's good that it says nothing about limited color combos.

Interesting that A67 is the code for the 1970/71 Barracuda rear window louver package. Only in very rare circumstances have I seen Chrysler use the same code for a different package in the same model year. And then it was for something related, I.E. a Spring Special package. Also, Galen's white book has no listing for this package. Saying that, Galen's white books are sorely lacking on C-Body info.

it is a 1970 Newport.
The colour citron Yella (GY3) is a 1971 only colour.
Rallye Red (FE5) was not available on C-bodies in 1970.

So even considering rallye red could have been made optional on special models there is no way that citron yella was used as it was not existing at that time.

Carsten

Lol. What more do you need, Steve.? :lol:

Never saw one during my time at Chrysler in 1970 and have never seen one in real life or even a mention of one before. So what can I say except that it must have been a marketing flop?! :wideyed: While you could not get a 383-4 in this A67 Newport, it was certainly available in other Newports, and I had a convertible with that power train (it ran great by the way). And you could get an E86 440HP in any Newport also in 1970, but not in an A67 package, so I guess they wouldn't have had the 440 emblem in the lower front fender? Only the E85 A67 Newports would? It all just seems a bit dumb to me. These days, though, I should just call it "fake news" even if it is true. :poke:

Definitely a marketing flop. Who the heck run Chrysler marketing at the time? They made so many blunders one cannot but wonder. The 300 Hurst, this 440 Newport, the "Affordable Luxury" campaign which nulled the image of Chrysler as a prestige brand, etc.

00-1-0.jpg

I am gonna defend old R.D. McLaughlin because I had a 1990's equivalent of his job. Whether the car was hit, or a flop, there was a method to the madness back then. "Gotta move iron". I think it was good move doing this Newport 440.

Chrysler was doing what they all (the Big Three) did in this era: Give the dealer something to sell. $50 bucks too high and a prospective customer would likely have said "sayonara" and went down the street to the Buick or Ford dealer for that 455 LeSabre or 429 ThunderJet Galaxie.

So $66 (1.7% of MSRP) under the 455-powered LeSabre, obviously a benchmark segment car, is the equivalent of $500 today on a $30K car. Thats a meaningful number to a consumer and to dealer's new car margin and to keeping Jefferson Ave belching out more C-body Chryslers.

Hence these "Spring Specials", and "what have you" cars to match up with competitor's stuff. Legitimate product marketing tho taken to absurd levels that was the way it was to keep market share.

And into Early 1990's -- worst #&#(* #, ^%! - ing job I ever had. Product Planning :BangHead:. The stuff we DIDNT get to market is crazier than anything you ever saw make it to the road.

Less so now tho I would guess since model deproliferation (though thats offset by MORE competitors now with foreign mfgrs vs back in 1970) -- but you folks in the car company/dealer business today can opine on that.

Still gotta move iron today as back then I'd bet. :)

Last edited:
Back