440/727 Swap Fury III swap.

Seedy Wags

Reaction score
Hello fellas! It has been too far in between since my last post.My question is regarding the transmission mount. My 65 fury three had the small block 727 and 318, and now I am doing, what appears to be a fairly common swap, is the 440 and the big block 727. What are enthusiast’s doing regarding the transmission mount and the crossmember. Is there a mount which will fit the Big block 727 That will fit in my vehicles original crossmember? I have a few pictures also. Thank you for your support ladies and gentlemen.

2CF7F6F4-E32C-4328-98C1-9A2EA41F0762.jpeg

A4F15A0F-A3CD-46C9-9210-391EA1AD8F6B.jpeg

BB42F9F3-25D3-49F0-A4A1-703F55C07347.jpeg

Should be all the same for SB or BB 727. Do you have a car 727 with the same length tail as the SB 727 you took out?

(edit) Oh wait you may want to disregard the part numbers & illustrations as they are for the 1968 year and I just see your is a "65". Let me check if I have the 1965 parts book.

Check your parts manual it is your friend.
It appears that from small block to big block both transmission crossmember & insulator are the same part numbers with only the 4 speed insulator different.

1968.Fury.Transmission.Crossmember.02.jpg

1968.Fury.Transmission.Crossmember.04.jpg

1968.Fury.Transmission.Crossmember.01.jpg

1968.Fury.Transmission.Crossmember.03.jpg

The parts manual is a godsend. Funny they call them "insulators" that is a good description but not the term usually used; trans mount.

9CF3AC16-6A2F-49A5-8ACE-217934D42EEB.jpeg
I took another picture today hoping this will explain more of my dilemma. As you can see, I have one bolt in the transmission mount, so you can see how off the holes are. I am aware that I can most probably drill some new holes and use this piece. I am not a purist, however I think there should be a part that I can bolt in directly to the transmission and crossmember. Anxiously awaiting a reply. Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

I think 65 back had 1 style themed 66 up had a little different style. I don’t think they interchange. Kim
Thank you Kim! They definitely do not fit both transmissions. I am adding some additional photos to further explain the dilemma. Thank you for your response.

A760135A-7673-4424-90F9-BF1BF6D6BFCC.jpeg
0D93DB5A-0758-4095-9317-855C52193C7F.jpeg
7301AA0B-F9B6-455E-93A7-48E2D7789433.jpeg
OK everybody that’s following this thread, I posted some additional photos and I have some measurements as well. The big block 727 transmission he has a 3 1/2 inch spread of the mount bolts center to center.The small block measurements are 4 inches Center to center. The bolts work in both small and big block application.

This
Bb approximately 2 1/2 ctc. I think there was a thread not to long ago with this same type dilema Kim
Thank you Kim, I stand corrected it does look like 2 1/2 inches center to center. I was hoping to find a direct bolt in replacement, but I may have to bring this to my shop and have the guys mill it for me.

The parts manual is a godsend. Funny they call them "insulators" that is a good description but not the term usually used; trans mount.
Welp they are insulators because they isolate the engine/drivetrain vibration from the body and is probably why the parts book lists them buried in the engine section, not the frame or transmission section. :BangHead: :icon_fU:

:mad:

View attachment 440454 View attachment 440455 View attachment 440456 OK everybody that’s following this thread, I posted some additional photos and I have some measurements as well. The big block 727 transmission he has a 3 1/2 inch spread of the mount bolts center to center.The small block measurements are 4 inches Center to center. The bolts work in both small and big block application.
You probably got a 4 speed transmission insulator there in your picture as that appears to be the only difference in the 1968 parts book. I really doubt the 1965 frame is much different than the 1968, Chrysler didn't change much in the car line when body styles changed.
What you need to do is measure the 318 727 tailshaft mount holes, then measure the 440 727 tailshaft mount holes and I'll bet that they are the same.
Your in NY so it shouldn't be awfully hard to get the proper insulator rather than proceed into mickymouse land.

You probably got a 4 speed transmission insulator there in your picture as that appears to be the only difference in the 1968 parts book. I really doubt the 1965 frame is much different than the 1968, Chrysler didn't change much in the car line when body styles changed.
What you need to do is measure the 318 727 tailshaft mount holes, then measure the 440 727 tailshaft mount holes and I'll bet that they are the same.
Your in NY so it shouldn't be awfully hard to get the proper insulator rather than proceed into mickymouse land.

The insulator in the picture is from the small block 727. The bolt holes are 4 inches apart, the big block 727 that is going into the vehicle, he has bolt holes that are 2 1/2 inches apart.

I can't answer your question but that transmission is too shiny to hide under a car!
Thank you for the compliment! When I got the transmission it had a little shine to it, but then with all this lockdown business, I broke out my metal polish and a buffer and just went at it! “I gave it some clearcoat after the polishing and I hope it will last for a little while!

(edit) Oh wait you may want to disregard the part numbers & illustrations as they are for the 1968 year and I just see your is a "65". Let me check if I have the 1965 parts book.

Check your parts manual it is your friend.
It appears that from small block to big block both transmission crossmember & insulator are the same part numbers with only the 4 speed insulator different.

View attachment 439691

View attachment 439692

View attachment 439693

View attachment 439694

hey, hey, ... ive got a 65 polara & upgrading trans to a '76. trans mount attaches to tranny at different locations ... a fix ? ...& the speedocable bores are different ...& ...the kickdown pivot attaches at different locations .... suggestions, fixes ? ? ?

How are you going to install a 440? Did you find a 440 with the bosses to mount the driver side engine mount or are you doing some other solution?

Some time ago, I did a mockup of trannies on a 65 frame with a 383. I can't put my hands on it right now, but in one configuration I just used a newer style insulator in the 65 crossmember and it lined up perfect. Believe that was a newer tranny, but probably a 4 speed.

1.5-year-old thread, but I would like to know how this all worked out also.
Due to me having 2 1965 cars, 1 of which is 4-speed.
In my estimation all the tailhousings have the same pattern whether small- or big-block, as the casting was used for all 727s.
EXCEPT - the 65 trans is a 1-year-only cableshift, and its insulator mtg holes could conceivably be different.

And if @Seedy Wags found a cool way to mount a non-bossed 440 to the 65 frame, I'd love to see it.

Back