440 build and distributor/HEI question

Bayoulee

Reaction score
I am looking for an HEI ignition to add to the 440. I ordered the ready to run billet kit from Competition Products for $206 but found that it wont work with fabricated valve covers. I attached a couple of pictures of where he is with the build, and so you can see the valve covers. Any recommendations for an HEI setup that would work?

engine.jpg

engine 2.jpg

Think pro comp makes this one. I have one nors I can measure from the flange up, then there is hood clearance.

1665438614300.png

Nice looking valve covers, but NOW we know why the ends are rounded and curved as they are.

The street distributor from 440 source basically has a 4 pin hei module in it. I just put one in my 383 along with the procomp e-core coil, ditched the factory electronic ignition box and ballast resistor and it works great. Gapped my plugs wider, amazing throttle response, and better starting. Their pro billet is basically a msd knock off and the parts are even interchangeable according to 440 source, I just went with the street one because I didnt have clearance for the taller distributor height on my motor with the fuel hardline setup I have. I would just use a relay so you have direct power to the coil whichever way you go.

IMG_5493.jpeg

IMG_5494.jpeg

IMG_5495.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 6.39.22 AM.png

Way too nice and clean for that flex hose. Finally got rid of mine this year, awesome!

Took me a couple years to find the right top/bottom hoses ('66 Monaco 383/AC 3 row rad core in '69 D200 p'up) but they are out there.

P1090398.JPG
P1090475.JPG
P1090537.JPG

View attachment 562475

Way too nice and clean for that flex hose. Finally got rid of mine this year, awesome!

Took me a couple years to find the right top/bottom hoses ('66 Monaco 383/AC 3 row rad core in '69 D200 p'up) but they are out there.

View attachment 562477View attachment 562478View attachment 562479
lol after a couple attempts I was finally able to pick up the bottom (non flex style)hose but gave up after getting the wrong top one multiple times even taking in the old one for them to match it up to.

The street distributor from 440 source basically has a 4 pin hei module in it. I just put one in my 383 along with the procomp e-core coil, ditched the factory electronic ignition box and ballast resistor and it works great. Gapped my plugs wider, amazing throttle response, and better starting. Their pro billet is basically a msd knock off and the parts are even interchangeable according to 440 source, I just went with the street one because I didnt have clearance for the taller distributor height on my motor with the fuel hardline setup I have. I would just use a relay so you have direct power to the coil whichever way you go.

View attachment 562436

View attachment 562437

View attachment 562438
Which distributor was it that you used, and what else did you have to order to go with it? I'm really not familiar with the HEI.

Born to be mild here, not understanding the fascination with heads that weren't made by ol Walter P.

Is this one ready to run? I dont know much about HEI
Both the street distributor and the pro billet are ready to run minus a coil. I used the street distributor and the procomp e-core coil. Their street distributor uses a hall sensor style pickup and what looks like an HEI module similar to the type in the picture attached. I literally spent more time trying to get the distributor intermediate shaft adjusted for proper distributor alignment and wire routing (I'm anal about loose wires everywhere) than I did with most of the install and setting the timing. I ran a 30amp normally open relay which I mounted where my ballast resistor used to be so I could get full 12-14 volts straight to the coil. The street distributor is a 2 wire hook up direct to the coil. Simple easy install and works great so far. There has been a noticeable improvement in start up and throttle response but the old magnetic pick up style electronic distributor was worn and had some slop in the shaft.

hei module.jpeg

Can I ask why anyone would want a gross chevy ice cream pail on the front of their big block mopar?
lol HEI only stands for High Energy Ignition and most of the "HEI" style ignition systems out there are designed similar to or around the original GM stuff no different than any other higher output style aftermarket ignition system such as MSD, Pertronix, etc. with its own design(unless you actually go to the junk yard and pull parts from a GM) The system I put on from 440 source has an HEI style module in it but like most of the HEI style modules out there it has no "bowtie", AC Delco, or GM anywhere near or on it because that would be almost as wrong as upgrading a chevy or ford by stamping mopar on it somewhere.

:rofl:

If you want another option from the petronix, although totally sacrilegious, I'm playing with converting mine to HEI ignition with an e-core coil. I'm having a couple aluminum mounting brackets made for everything and can send pics hopefully after this weekend. I know there's the guy who makes a bracket that mounts the module under the factory magnetic pickup but I wanted to keep it away from the engine heat and also not just throw it on the firewall or something. In actuality you won't even know it has HEI by looking at it other than the E-core coil drawing questions because I gutted an old mopar electronic ignition module and wired it through the oe terminals that go thru that harness. Even soldered a jumper wire in the ballast resistor and removed the resistor portion from the back of the ceramic portion. I will have to run it here in the AZ heat to make sure the module cools properly the way I made it. I know some will ask why but my answer is always just to see if I could and to keep people guessing at things when I pop the hood.

Both the street distributor and the pro billet are ready to run minus a coil. I used the street distributor and the procomp e-core coil. Their street distributor uses a hall sensor style pickup and what looks like an HEI module similar to the type in the picture attached. I literally spent more time trying to get the distributor intermediate shaft adjusted for proper distributor alignment and wire routing (I'm anal about loose wires everywhere) than I did with most of the install and setting the timing. I ran a 30amp normally open relay which I mounted where my ballast resistor used to be so I could get full 12-14 volts straight to the coil. The street distributor is a 2 wire hook up direct to the coil. Simple easy install and works great so far. There has been a noticeable improvement in start up and throttle response but the old magnetic pick up style electronic distributor was worn and had some slop in the shaft.

View attachment 562615

lol HEI only stands for High Energy Ignition and most of the "HEI" style ignition systems out there are designed similar to or around the original GM stuff no different than any other higher output style aftermarket ignition system such as MSD, Pertronix, etc. with its own design(unless you actually go to the junk yard and pull parts from a GM) The system I put on from 440 source has an HEI style module in it but like most of the HEI style modules out there it has no "bowtie", AC Delco, or GM anywhere near or on it because that would be almost as wrong as upgrading a chevy or ford by stamping mopar on it somewhere.

:rofl:
Sounds like you found some really good magazine soup ups! Godspeed and all the best.

Back