440 engine search

72Fury

Reaction score
I've been searching for a 440/727 for the Fury. Prices seem to be all over the board, with almost everyone claiming 50-80k miles. Of course the donor vehicle has been scraped. I have found many RV motorhome 440's as well. The two that I am considering is a 77 with all of the lean burn stuff, but it is complete with the trans for $550. Engine condition is completely unknown however. The other is a 1973 440-1 motor home engine for $475. Claimed to be a good running 60k mile engine. The transmission has a drum brake on it (for the e brake). I don't think the trans would work, unless the tail shaft could be changed. Keep looking or? Any thoughts or advice?

Everything is a good runner til you get it home and open it up. No matter what you choose I would definately recomend a freshen up or you will end up rebuilding it midsummer when all your pal`s are tail lights and your at home with a wrench in your hand!

No matter what you buy, you HAVE to rebuild it. I dont give a ratzazz what story the seller tells, all I see is a full rebuild and if that's the case, a 440 block is a 440 block is a 440 block. I can debunk every myth on why one is better than the other.
Year makes no difference to me. Make sure the RV tranny has the normal tail shaft, not the stubby tail shaft. The tranny with the e-brake drum on it is useless unless you can find a buyer for it.
In a C-body with an automatic, it makes no difference if you have a 73 and earlier 440 with a forged steel crankshaft or a 74 and later with a cast iron hardened crank.
Late model 440s do not have thicker or thinner walls.
RV heads are the best flowing heads ever used on BBs.

< Sent from my tablet >

Last edited:
Buyer beware! I agree with those above, of course you would have to freshen up the motor once you get it. Then you will know it was done right. Everything else is a gamble and guess who loses!

These guys are right. Buy a good rebuildable core and rebuild it completely .

Back