1. Moose440

Moose440 New Member

Has anyone had an issue with 440 source stealth heads and seeing aluminum shavings In the on break in. Maybe 40 miles on rebuild and new stealth heads and I found aluminum shavings. The engine builder tried to tell me it was from where the bottom of the valve springs sits there just wearing in. I’m going to call 440 source on Monday to see if this is normal. I can’t find anything on google. Thanks.

2. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

Were the heads disassembled and checked or just placed on the engine "as is"?

Everything I've read about them says that they are OK, but you need to check them over completely before you use them.

I'm not buying the builder's story, but I could be wrong too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

Valves wearing in? BS. Where did you find the shavings?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Pull the oil filter and poor the contents on a dark rag. Metal shavings on a dip stick is not likely to be coming from the heads. Could be the cam shaft. If you see a bunch of metal from inside the oil filter, something else is probably failing. You can have an oil analysis run to determine what. Given that you found metal on the dipstick, it is likely to be bearing material, not cast off from the heads. Some bearing material will come off as part of the break in process as will small amounts of metal from the rings and block. Some material is normal, lots of it is not.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. twostick

twostick Senior Member

ALL parts no matter who builds them need to be checked and corrected.

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

40 miles on a new build?? Your builder is a joke looking for a easy excuse for his inadequacies to do a thorough enough job on a rebuild! Do a oil change and get your old oil analyzed as to what else is and might be in it. I don't think it's the heads. Good Luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Moose440

Moose440 New Member

It was aluminum shavings I flushed the engine and haven’t seen any since. He had to clearance the heads for my 3/8 push rods and I don’t think he cleaned them properly. Well obviously he didn’t. I talked to 440 source and they said the same thing sounds like he didn’t clean them after clearing them. I’m going to drop the oils again tm to check one more time but so far I haven’t seen any more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pomonamissel

pomonamissel Senior Member

we had the same thing . but we pulled them down prior to running them . we never put anything together without taking it apart first . machining chips are a problem that you must address before assembly .

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

Not quite understanding where he clearanced.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  10. Cazman

Cazman Active Member FCBO Gold Member

I had a similar problem with my build. I did not chase the threads in my Stealth Heads, just threw them on when I was ready. My block was decked for zero piston clearance and that changed how the aftermarket intake aluminum manifold would fit. I ordered the correct thickness intake gaskets to make everything work, but as many know bolting up the intake in this situation with the under-pan, two gaskets, and the manifold can be a pain. Anyway, I did not like how the bolts felt going in (had to force a couple), so I pulled it apart to check everything and there were many shavings from the intake threaded head holes in my lifter valley (and lifters). I had to flush and clean and then I chased the threads and put it back together. Then when the engine was all finished I put cheap oil in it, spun the oil pump and drained the oil as a flush. I have not started this engine yet, but I think its ready to go.

Also, I have read that some of the Stealth heads need to have the push rod holes clearanced. My did not need it.

11. LocuMob

The holes the push rods go through on the head. They need to be opened up for (I think) anything larger than stock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

If you read the directions that come with the heads, it will mention that you may have to hog out some, if not all of the pushrod holes for clearance. Even with stock pushrods!
    Been there, done that!

• Like Like x 1
  13. commando1

commando1 Old Man With a Hat on the Porch FCBO Gold Member

So if the heads were machined, HowTF could there be shrapnel in the oil.
    Because the mechanic sucked.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Tour Car

Tour Car New Member

I bought a couple of stealth heads 4 years ago the valves were short & different lengths, Comp cams roller rockers or were ridinngo on retainers and one of the keepers fell out and the valve hit the piston. Source 440 junk. Now I only buy USA Edelbrock

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  15. twostick

twostick Senior Member

Bullshit

Kevin

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. LocuMob

I had a piston smack the valves a the head was intact. When I removed the keepers, those were tight as hell. And I never did any prep, just bolted then on and went. Should you check them out first, probably. But I love how someone spends $1000-$2500 for a set of heads, and then is supposed to go spend $400-$700 more to make sure they're ok.

Did you have the Eddy's checked out? If so, were they perfect right out the box?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  17. rexus31

rexus31 Senior Member

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. 70bigblockdodge

70bigblockdodge Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

A great reason to order all heads bare. That thread is from 2008. That's a lifetime in aftermarket parts. Lot of companies would not even last from then to now. So they must be correcting as they go. As for OP, shame on you for not cleaning any part of a internal engine part before installation. You did not install them, them you need a new engine builder. This is engine rebuild 101, clean, clean, clean. I'm pretty sure that any engine book you buy will mention cleaning at least a couple of times.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  19. CanCritter

CanCritter Senior Member

lve heard of complaints re these heads...to many to buy

20. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

I'm not getting into a argument with idiots that can't, don't, & won't follow directions! RTFD

• Like Like x 1