440 Thermostat housings.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'm putting in a new thermostat.
While looking for the gasket, Felpro has two listed.
#35145 (1976) and 35063 (1969).
I thought a 440 thermostat housing was a 440 thermostat housing...
What's the difference tween the two that would require different gaskets?

I thought this thread was gonna be about how you forgot where something goes. :rofl:

I will be eating my words in a big way since I have a 440 torn down & I'm gonna need help getting her back together. I'm bracing in advance for the broken balls. And yes, I realize that I deserve every bit of it. Payback will be a *****...

Who's your daddy now, *****... ?
evil-look-smiley-emoticon.jpg

:D

Never, EVER, mix gardening with rebuilding engines!!!
Damn you, Ross. WTH were you thinking?

Posted via Topify on Android

Yes we're trying to do that - but still not much confidence on the whole reassembly part.
Actually, I feel really good about it since I took lots of pictures & I have a great book that I bought at Jegs. I don't recall the name & don't have it here but a few others here have the same book & will know the name.

The gaskets look nothing alike. What the heck are all the holes for on the one for the later models?

image.jpg

I feel your pain - we're tearing down a 440 right now...

Not sure about the two gaskets, but I would sure like to know where you got the steel thermostat housing on that engine? All that is available here in Calif at least are the aluminum ones. Autozone used to have the steel ones, but no more. I don't like the aluminum crap.

Back to the off topic posts...

I recently discovered a new cake in this area... White cake with lemon filling, you know like in a lemon meringue pie, and butter cream frosting. Oh man it's some yummy stuff.

Stan, here's the reason Chrysler went to the uni-fit thermostat gasket....to fit all the other metric crap that they were making. This POS gasket will work with our BB's but I would go with the 1969 FelPro 35063 gasket.

pic-7958584220150981393.gif

The thermostat housing was a larger in diameter pre 69. The later ones were smaller. My 68 uses the 35063 gasket. Its even a different thermostat part number for the later engines.

Stan, here's another useful tip.

You can use this Mopar oil filter on our BB's. They are on the shelf at every AAP. You won't find it in the catalog for our C-bodies but it's the right one. The 090 is the last 3 on the Mopar part number.

mo090.jpg

Mopar "Authentic parts and accesories for Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and FIAT." I liked the times better when Plymouth and DeSoto were still in the listing, but at least it says they're still made in the USA.

Back