440 year Engine fitment

Bayoulee

Reaction score
Ive found a 440 and transmission from a new yorker that the guy thought was a 1975. With bb motor mounts, will it fit into my 1966 Sport Fury? Going to bore it, new heads cam and crank So I want to make sure it will fit. Thank you in advance
Also, how do I identify the year?

What engine is currently in your car. Fitment shouldn‘t be a problem at all no matter what. There will be a casting date on the passenger side of the block towards the rear and top.

There ARE two different styles of motor mounts, depending upon model year. The "early"/normal mount is the flat, sandwich-style mount. The "later" (like about '72 model year? and later is the "loop" mount. Very visible differences, but I believe they can be interchanged to match the frame mounts in the vehicle?

Over the years, there are also some differences in the engine accessory mount systems. Which might also relate to whether or not the necessary mounting bolt holes to mount YOUR current engine's brackets to the block are there. CHECK! OR get them ALL with the replacement engine you are going to build.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

1966 should be direct bolt on, unless you have a slant 6 in your car now. Then you need a different stub frame.

If your current engine is a big block V8, you have the correct motor mounts.

If you current engine is a polysphere small block, You can place a want ad on FCBO. A member will sell you correct big block motor mounts.

My '65 Sport Fury needs the left side engine mount to come off the front of the block. The '69 440 I have would have needed to be modified more than the '74 440. The '74 had the bumps on the front of the block, but they were short and had to have a 1/4 thick piece of steel added as well as the holes drilled and tapped for the bolts. The first picture shows a screen shot of a 440 I found online without the provisions for the mount. This is like my '69 440. The second and third pictures are of my '74 block after the added steel, drilled and tapped. The fourth picture is with the mount bolted in the frame. Check the mount on your car, I think our sub-frames are interchangeable, if that's the case, you'll need the provisions for this mount. The steering box is in the way of the more common mount.
I also have several 383's, with them I always had to drill and tap the bumps for the mount.
You may want to checkout the heads on the '75 (should be 975's, '76 are 452's). I have several sets of heads, but after researching the performance of the heads, I still went with the 902's from the '74 (induction hardened seats). I smoothed the ports and installed new valves. I used the steel crank out of the '69, a set of stock polished rods with ARP bolts, and .030 over Ross pistons. The guy running the dyno said with a larger carb (used a 680 Holley), the engine would do 450 hp and 530 tq or more without an issue. It already had over 500 ft lbs at 3000 rpm's on the last couple pulls. I have a Holley Sniper good for up to 600 hp, so it should work well (someday when I finish the build, it's in this forum). I don't know if you're looking for more power, but a 383 and the 440 are great street engine without doing a lot to them. Good luck with the build, keep us posted!!

ALSO, checkout what a Wipplash cam does to a low compression, cast crank 440. You could go that way!! If I wouldn't have had all the parts I do, that's what would probably be in mine.

No place for mount.jpg
Metal added.jpg
Modified for mount.jpg
Mount bolted on.png

1966 should be direct bolt on, unless you have a slant 6 in your car now. Then you need a different stub frame.

If your current engine is a big block V8, you have the correct motor mounts.

If you current engine is a polysphere small block, You can place a want ad on FCBO. A member will sell you correct big block motor mounts.
late getting back to this but the engine is getting close to being finished. It IS a 318 Poly. Wont the BB mounts be available locally ?

My '65 Sport Fury needs the left side engine mount to come off the front of the block. The '69 440 I have would have needed to be modified more than the '74 440. The '74 had the bumps on the front of the block, but they were short and had to have a 1/4 thick piece of steel added as well as the holes drilled and tapped for the bolts. The first picture shows a screen shot of a 440 I found online without the provisions for the mount. This is like my '69 440. The second and third pictures are of my '74 block after the added steel, drilled and tapped. The fourth picture is with the mount bolted in the frame. Check the mount on your car, I think our sub-frames are interchangeable, if that's the case, you'll need the provisions for this mount. The steering box is in the way of the more common mount.
I also have several 383's, with them I always had to drill and tap the bumps for the mount.
You may want to checkout the heads on the '75 (should be 975's, '76 are 452's). I have several sets of heads, but after researching the performance of the heads, I still went with the 902's from the '74 (induction hardened seats). I smoothed the ports and installed new valves. I used the steel crank out of the '69, a set of stock polished rods with ARP bolts, and .030 over Ross pistons. The guy running the dyno said with a larger carb (used a 680 Holley), the engine would do 450 hp and 530 tq or more without an issue. It already had over 500 ft lbs at 3000 rpm's on the last couple pulls. I have a Holley Sniper good for up to 600 hp, so it should work well (someday when I finish the build, it's in this forum). I don't know if you're looking for more power, but a 383 and the 440 are great street engine without doing a lot to them. Good luck with the build, keep us posted!!

ALSO, checkout what a Wipplash cam does to a low compression, cast crank 440. You could go that way!! If I wouldn't have had all the parts I do, that's what would probably be in mine.

View attachment 528885View attachment 528886View attachment 528887View attachment 528888
Thanks for all the help, and pics! I am just getting back on here as the engine is nearly built. There have been a few hiccups

late getting back to this but the engine is getting close to being finished. It IS a 318 Poly. Wont the BB mounts be available locally ?
Of course, there is the motor mount and then there's the bracket that attaches it to the side of the engine block.
You can probably get motor mounts locally, although big block engines went out of production in 1979. You may have to special order them.
If you don't have big block motor mount brackets, you cannot order them locally. I'd place a want ad on FCBO.
Installing motor mount on bracket in a vise
Left side big block mount

20200315_163244 lsmm vise.jpg

20200315_172624 crank pulley inst.jpg

20200315_172600 crank pulley inst.jpg

Motor mounts installed on the 440 and awaiting installation on my 1970 Fury Convertible.
Hope this helps! Ben

Thanks for all the help, and pics! I am just getting back on here as the engine is nearly built. There have been a few hiccups
You're welcome! I hope the things I've been through can help someone else make good decisions for them. If we have good info we can make better choices when it comes to our builds!

My '65 Sport Fury needs the left side engine mount to come off the front of the block. .... Check the mount on your car, I think our sub-frames are interchangeable, if that's the case, you'll need the provisions for this mount. The steering box is in the way of the more common mount.

View attachment 528885View attachment 528886View attachment 528887View attachment 528888
Hi Darby
All my reading indicates that 1965 stub frame engine mounts are unique to 1965. And that 1966 is compatible to all later years. I have never owned a 1966 to verify that. Maybe @Badvert65 can chime in. Ben

Hi Darby
All my reading indicates that 1965 stub frame engine mounts are unique to 1965. And that 1966 is compatible to all later years. I have never owned a 1966 to verify that. Maybe @Badvert65 can chime in. Ben
That could be correct (probably is!). I posted the pictures so Bayoulee could compare it to his car. I thought the '65 and '66 Fury's would have used the same sub-frame, but that's only because the cars have a lot of common parts and are so different to other years.
Good job looking into it!!! Thanks for the info, I'll be looking for the differences the next time I see a '66 at a car show.

Back