440's - Early versions VS Later ?

FarCanal

Reaction score
Howdy
I purchased a Hotted up early MAGNUM 440 motor to put into my 1976 New Yorker.
Problem is ..... the early version did not run Power Steering or Air Conditioning ! My Later block facilitates these options with "Nuts" etc welded into the Block and (facing) Right-Hand Head so that the Bracketry can be mounted to support said extra's !!!
Now surely ..... more than just myself has come up against this problem ?
Therefore ..... does anyone know of any "KIT" available to address this problem / Is anyone aware of how to overcome this dilemma ? Some-one, Somewhere MUST make or has been able to produce the necessary 'Brackets' to overcome this ?
If so .... I would dearly love to purchase or get directions of how & where to obtain said kit = without going to the expense of a Mega Dollar, Pretty, Single Belt, Serpentine set-up. ($2k+)
Please reply if able to assist ..... even if you can provide a diagram of how you overcame this enigma yourself.
Cheers
Big Jim = Down Under
P.S. To all the "Haters" (those who think I should have stayed with my Factory 195Hp, well it is tooo late now = She is in = aaannnnndd ..... I freakin LUURRV my 500Hp)

ProxiV8#1a.jpg

NewYorker#c.jpg

Therefore ..... does anyone know of any "KIT" available to address this problem / Is anyone aware of how to overcome this dilemma ? Some-one, Somewhere MUST make or has been able to produce the necessary 'Brackets' to overcome this ?
Yes, there has been a "kit" for years.
Use your factory accessories with the many factory brackets already out there. You'll have to do your due diligence in researching you parts book.

While they may have "all looked the same", there have been a few different variations of the same brackets/mounts over the years. Alternator mounts for the normal non-100amp alternators is one thing. Power steering pump mounts moved outboard on your model, due to the A.I.R. pump mounting, which also necessitated the use of the "short" Mopar oil filter (to clear the longer drive belt).

AND, the block castings tended to change appropriately to support some of these changes. Detail differences, but still "differences" which relate to the model year of the block.

Find the casting date of the "replacement" block, combined with the stamp on the front pad, of the engine you bought and then seek to get a complete accessory kit from a salvage yard or where ever.

How much "hotted-up" is the replacement engine? Just curious, as how much might depend upon what OTHER things might need to be changed on the car.

After looking at your engine picture . . . IF it's got a .571" lift cam, you WILL need to probably change the torque converter AND rear axle ratio in order to use such a wild cam on the street, for anything close to "daily" use. Which can make the search for accessory mounts the least of your worries, by observation.

Remember, too, that the 195 horsepower factory rating was a NET rating, not the prior GROSS rating, which makes it more like a low compression 440/350 motor, with some tweaks for emissions reduction purposes. As the cars gained about 500-700lbs from '66 to the later "Formal" models.

AND it's currently a great looking car!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
While they may have "all looked the same", there have been a few different variations of the same brackets/mounts over the years. Alternator mounts for the normal non-100amp alternators is one thing. Power steering pump mounts moved outboard on your model, due to the A.I.R. pump mounting, which also necessitated the use of the "short" Mopar oil filter (to clear the longer drive belt).

AND, the block castings tended to change appropriately to support some of these changes. Detail differences, but still "differences" which relate to the model year of the block.

Find the casting date of the "replacement" block, combined with the stamp on the front pad, of the engine you bought and then seek to get a complete accessory kit from a salvage yard or where ever.

How much "hotted-up" is the replacement engine? Just curious, as how much might depend upon what OTHER things might need to be changed on the car.

After looking at your engine picture . . . IF it's got a .571" lift cam, you WILL need to probably change the torque converter AND rear axle ratio in order to use such a wild cam on the street, for anything close to "daily" use. Which can make the search for accessory mounts the least of your worries, by observation.

Remember, too, that the 195 horsepower factory rating was a NET rating, not the prior GROSS rating, which makes it more like a low compression 440/350 motor, with some tweaks for emissions reduction purposes. As the cars gained about 500-700lbs from '66 to the later "Formal" models.

AND it's currently a great looking car!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thank you for the detailed reply.
Motor is built to be 500Hp at the rear wheels. Knowing I was doing this, a 650Hp capable new Trans with 1850RPM Stall was already fitted, at the same time, + the Tail-Shaft was uprated to cope. I have purchased a set of 3,55 gears for the rear end, but they are wrong, and do not fit my Diff, so taking it easy whilst running it in, and locate the correct parts. I have everything bolted up bar the new A/C Pump, and localised fabrication is looking like the go. Car is ex-One Owner, 50k miles and immaculate head to toe (scored it right under your noses off eBay for $5k) .... it is my daily driver .... and turns heads here in Australia .... I TELL YA !!! lol
Cheers, Big Jim - Adelaide, South Australia = DownUnder.

Back